Which stand do you prefer?

Billdogge

Which stand do you prefer?   

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which stand do you prefer and why?

• Ladder
    • Climber
    • Lock on

Ladder I find them less dangerous also less likely to grow into the tree if left out...I have lost a couple of store bought hang on's. If not talking store bought...I prefer my wooden hang on's they are safer bigger and better made.

I have two climbers I rarely use now...I have seen too many fully leafed healthy looking maple trees with the tops blown out of them. Have had 3 near hits from tops letting loose on non windy days as I was walking past. Too many large up rooted trees on the ground...Yes it could happen in either of the other stands...but I'm not out there trying to find and climb those in the dark...and I can chose a different type of tree to use.. big branches and much bigger trees...not limbless straight smaller ones(relatively)  as in a climber...JMO

I prefer hang ons. I can get them into just about any tree I want, especially the ones that have the adjustable leveling. I dont have to worry about perfectly straight trees, limbs can be left below it as cover, etc etc. Maybe someday due to health, Ill be relegated to ladder stands, blinds, etc, but for now Ill take a hang on any day of the week.

• Like 3

As I get older, I like a ladder stand better.  Simple to get in and out of, especially in the dark.  The shooting rail is an added bonus.  They're usually more comfortable as well.  

A lock-on is a close second, paired with a set of climbing sticks.  They're super versatile.  I use them to make adjustments during bow season.  

I shot both bucks out of ladder stands last year.  A few years back I hung a lock-on and a set of climbing sticks in the rain around noon, and shot a nice buck with my bow that evening when the rain stopped.  They both have their place.  

I like the idea of a climber, but it seems like WORK to carry everything, climb etc for a single hunt.  I usually end up sweating, and that's no good.  I know some great hunters that swear by climbers.  I mostly just swear at them.

• Like 1

As others have said ladder is the safest and at least as comfortable if not more than the others.

I do like a climber though because it can get me into new areas with the ability to be at different heights depending on situation. I don't even fool with hang ons anymore. I find them to be a pain in the ass really and harder to move for me than a ladder stand to tell the truth. I can have a ladder stand up in 15-20 minutes tops.

I like my ladders for ease of use and safety....bbuuuutttttt....I end up using hang ons far more often. Once you get used to using hang ons, they are very easy to use in any tree almost.

I can't get myself to use a tiny platform hang on though. Idk how some guys do it. I don't like feeling like I'm gonna take a small step and fall off. I buy big platform hang ons and just deal with the fact that they may be a bit heavier. I like being comfortable no matter what stand I'm in.

Man, can't believe I am saying this but as I get older I have to say ladders.  They just feel safer.  I never thought I would get old, and 46 isn't old, but I am slowing down and safety has become more important.

While saying that, if you send me to a hang-on stand with a life line in it I am just as happy to get into that one.  For whatever reason, I just don't have the bravado and carefree attitude I guess anymore, and I like to feel safe getting in and out of the tree now days. 

Due to the fact that I bowhunt 99% of the time I go in the woods, I typically can get better hidden in hang-on stands, so I would probably choose that one if both are safe getting in and out.  Life lines are awesome.  If you do not use them I highly suggest it.   I might call them a "lifesaver". 

• Like 3

I have 3 hangons that I bought at a garage sale a long time ago. They are aluminum and lighter than anything in the market today. I made felt seats and have done some other customizations. These stands and 5 screw ins and I'm 15-20ft in the air anywhere I want to be. For someone who hates sitting these are the best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I voted climber because that is what I use 90%+ of the time... they are quick to set up and portable . 

Now if I had a lot of private land to hunt exclusively(and a lot more $) I would have portables set up everywhere...They are easily concealed and can be placed high in trees. I like to be 20'+ up  or tucked in a thick tree or in a crotch.. I have a few set up on my property  and you cannot beat being able to walk into the woods and climbing into stand. No set-up required...

• Like 1

I normally use lockons with climbing sticks, I like to set them 20' high between stalks of triple trees for concealment.  I do agree that ladder stands are safer though. I did use a tripod stand on our lease in Ohio last year, I have to say that it is pretty cool being able to swivel 360 degrees and have a shooting rest also, just need to make sure you are covered up a bit.

Edited by catskillkid
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I will hunt from hang ons but at my weight, I prefer ladder stands with cover, especially when the stand has been out several years. Always nervous a cable will snap.  

I had a cable rust and snap on a chain-on stand . Bought some chain at Tractor Supply and did a repair job on the stand .

I prefer the ladder stands . If my recollection is correct , I have at least 14 ladder stands . I have a spot in Geneseo where I am planning to use my camo ladder and put up a chain on that my son bought me several years ago . I assembled the Gorilla Big Man Stand ( I think it was named after Moog 5050 ) a week ago and figured it was time to put it to good use . 

• Like 1

Hangons by far the most versatile.

I'd rather be in the right tree to kill a deer. The the right tree for a ladder or climber that only let's me see a deer. 

Ladders are set nights which means cutting excessive limbs and perhaps being a bit to high or two low.. They generally require more than one person to set up and they can be difficult to check every year because they are so hard to put up they are left out all year..

Climbers are pretty much useless where I hunt.as orchard do not have straight trunked trees to climb or they are to limby .. Again need to be in the right tree to kill a deer not just see them...

Hangons well I can put in any tree at any height in any direction( hanging over water, or over a steep hillside) with clumping ladders they are very secure but I can climb around limbs leving me additional cover.. By far the easiest to use and set up.. Easily removed and stored.. Straps checked and replaced . I have several that are now almost 30 years old and are in great shape due to removal and storage at end of season.

• Like 1

If i had id have permanent hang on site's at hotspots but i hunt mostly public, i have a summit climber, and its nice, but forget it if youre hiking in far, bulky and heavy. last year, ibought a lone wolf hang on for two reasons, lighten up the load, and' not limited to certain trees, being lots of where i hunt is swamps, you may find a great spot with no straight trees. Really prefer the hang on, but if i have an easy short route in and dont want to dick around setting up, ill bring the climber. Usually it takes about 10-15 to get set up and ready to hunt with the hang on

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Billdogge said:

Those of you who use climbers what ones are you using? 

I have an older API and summit viper..

I have used my friends lone wolf's and a few other stands but I prefer the summit. Fairly light and  simple. I would buy another  API like mine  but they are no longer made.. It is the one that has a foot platform that folds out..

I have one ladder stand I've had up for years and primarily use that. Have a climber and love it but when I hunt I'm in for the day. So between lugging the climber, gun , backpack and dressed for the day it's no fun sweating my arse up the mountain. Found myself utilizing a natural ground blind a lot this year when it was crazy windy, snowing or raining like a biatch. A little more comfortable nestled in it than the ladder stand. Going to be bow hunting for my first year this year and have a perfect spot for an archery stand. It's going to call for a lock on stand and slimbing sticks though as I'm in tight to a great run and no trees compatible for my climber.