Which stand do you prefer?

Billdogge

Which stand do you prefer?   

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which stand do you prefer and why?

• Ladder
    • Climber
    • Lock on

I prefer hang ons. I can get them into just about any tree I want, especially the ones that have the adjustable leveling. I dont have to worry about perfectly straight trees, limbs can be left below it as cover, etc etc. Maybe someday due to health, Ill be relegated to ladder stands, blinds, etc, but for now Ill take a hang on any day of the week.

YES that too. Some of the trees i get my hang on in are way too small for a climber, granted it exposes me more, and has probably got me busted more than a few times, but ya work with what ya got

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, Billdogge said:

Those of you who use climbers what ones are you using? 

Summit Viper. I may only use it a couple times a season. But it's very comfortable, relatively quiet and perfect for setting up on smoking hot sign, during the pre rut. I'm not a small guy either, 6'1" about 200lbs. And can sit in this thing comfortably for hours. I really should use it more than I do. Really is a good tool to have available, for the right time and place.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

Ladders and hang on's with sticks.  I prefer Lone Wolf and Muddy hang ons. 

My ladders tend to be small cheap ones, although I've been very happy with a large 17 Field and Stream one . I like to,place my ladders in  triple trunk trees .

I gotta say as I use ladders more and more I'm amazed that the deer don't pick me out any more often then when I was much higher in my climber or hang ons .

My Lone Wolf climber just gathers dust now. I'm pushing 60 I just prefer the ease of walking in and a simple climb up and sit down.

• Like 1

I came across wooden stands on public made in the shape of hang ons, strapped to the tree, they looked well made too. Then i start to think, if i got enough stand sites thats probably a good deal, surely cheaper doing it like that if ya got the time and some basic carpentry skills. Though you'd probably have to do some assembly on site

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

summit goliath, a bit heavy but I wanted the extra weight capacity and I feel safer with a climber that has a front rail. that thing is as comfy as a lay z boy but carrying it to the woods is a work out. ladder stands are nice if they're in a spot that produces year to year but the portability of a climber is good when you need to change it up

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, growalot said:

Lord... if I can hang the big ones I make by myself, anyone can. A pulley,  some line, straps and chain with a paddlock. Brains not brawn..:wink:

Grow,

I have plenty of both, but I have zero interest in using a pulley to hang a tree stand.  I believe you have admonished people to have FUN wit their hunting endeavors.  I concur.  I was just pointing out that saving a couple bucks by building your own stands could lead to more work on the installation end.  

Dear heavens That wasn't a personal directed post at you ...just pointing out things are only as difficult as the thought put into them.. building stands or blinds aren't for everyone..For one thing everyone doesn't have access to inexpensive or free materials as I do..Most don't have the time. Many don't view physical labor as I do. I relish  in hard work.. I love building and trying new ideas. That said I was merely pointing out it doesn't have to be difficult.

OK DISCLAIMER..do not take my posts personal unless I have used your "handle" or include a quote from your post. When I return posts in the form of questions concerning posts ..it's not to be condescending . It is to make all viewers question and think..My sarcasm is usually very easy to distinguish..ie..Did I make a wrong click and miss the hunting site and land in a menopausal woman's site. I seem to be hitting a lot of "feelings mines". Hope this clears a few things up:wink:

Ladder.what have been always used to.99% of stands we have on property are double seaters as family members sometimes sit with each other.enough room to position and front rail is a plus.other 1% is a tripod stand we have set up.nice setup with 360* swivel.another option for me is on the ground.which i dont mind either.actually love the challenge of bow hunting on the ground.have only gotten 2 deer that way and busted more.

There is no "perfect" tree stand. They ALL have their benefits & drawbacks!

Once you get to a point in your life where that feeling of youthful immortality fades, security (and comfort) takes over & becomes your primary concern(s). Anymore, for this old fart, only XL ladder stands with gun rails, higher arm rests, wider comfy seats, larger platforms, better construction and lots of extra HD ratchet straps.

With my wussy side revealed ... I did spend years hauling around a climber. More power to those that still tote them around and have nerves of steel while going up/down a tree in the dark with a climber. Never considered a hang-on tree stand. Just something about being ~18' up a tree with a smallish platform/seat and lashed to a tree that brought out my inner wussy-ness! LOL. Can see their benefits, just not for me!!!

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 3

Great reading! As many have said there are + and - with all types. I use a Summit Viper a lot, it is the most comfortable stand I own. I pre scout several areas and limb out some trees pre-season so I can use the climber. I also have a lot of hang on stands that I use with ladder sticks. I always place a life line at each hang on stand and wear a full body harness. I now have 2 ladder stands one I rebuilt to have a flip up seat (there are pics somewhere on this site?) and the other is a cheap one from Field & Stream with a flip up seat. I like to stand up and hug the tree for concealment and most ladder stands seam to have fixed seats. So I guess I would have to check all 3 categories. I set all my stands pretty much by myself so I have learned over the years to 1. be carefull, I always wear a full harness when setting them up. 2. ladder stands are a PIA to set up by yourself but ropes and extra ratchet straps help a lot. 3. like G-man said the best stands are where the deer are! and finally 4. you can never have too many stands! or enough time to hunt them all.

10 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

There is no "perfect" tree stand. They ALL have their benefits & drawbacks!

Once you get to a point in your life where that feeling of youthful immortality fades, security (and comfort) takes over & becomes your primary concern(s). Anymore, for this old fart, only XL ladder stands with gun rails, higher arm rests, wider comfy seats, larger platforms, better construction and lots of extra HD ratchet straps.

With my wussy side revealed ... I did spend years hauling around a climber. More power to those that still tote them around and have nerves of steel while going up/down a tree in the dark with a climber. Never considered a hang-on tree stand. Just something about being ~18' up a tree with a smallish platform/seat and lashed to a tree that brought out my inner wussy-ness! LOL. Can see their benefits, just not for me!!!

There are hanging stands that have large platforms 32x38 . I feel safe in them with a shoulder against a tree than standing up away from a tree in a typical ladder. Biggest problem I have with ladder are the set hights 12 16 20.. Many o 

F my sets fall between these heights and they wouldn't be possible with a ladder

I prefer to hunt from a pine or hemlock tree with branches near my platform. Hickory's and maples tend to branch out nicely too and provide cover to break up my outline as well as add a level of comfort and something to grab onto, or hang gear from. So my main choice is a light weight hang on. I have several that weigh 15 to 23 lbs and those I will place out prior to the season. I also have a few light weight ones that I can be more mobile with. The Mellenium M100 u is beauty that weighs 11.5 lbs and I plan to buy one soon.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

The Mellenium M100 u is beauty that weighs 11.5 lbs and I plan to buy one soon.

I bought one a couple years ago and love it. Make sure you get the strap instead of the chain hanger... It is as comfortable as my summit. I have spent many a day napping.. I mean hunting out of it..lol .. I haven't  weighed it, but I bet it weighs more than its advertised weight though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, growalot said:

Dear heavens That wasn't a personal directed post at you ...just pointing out things are only as difficult as the thought put into them.. building stands or blinds aren't for everyone..For one thing everyone doesn't have access to inexpensive or free materials as I do..Most don't have the time. Many don't view physical labor as I do. I relish  in hard work.. I love building and trying new ideas. That said I was merely pointing out it doesn't have to be difficult.

OK DISCLAIMER..do not take my posts personal unless I have used your "handle" or include a quote from your post. When I return posts in the form of questions concerning posts ..it's not to be condescending . It is to make all viewers question and think..My sarcasm is usually very easy to distinguish..ie..Did I make a wrong click and miss the hunting site and land in a menopausal woman's site. I seem to be hitting a lot of "feelings mines". Hope this clears a few things up:wink:

As noted above, time AND hunting in your own backyard are two things that hamstring many here I'd bet. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Oh yea, I use all three types of stands. Never shot a thing (or sat in) a ground blind. 

I shot my first deer with a bow from a blind.  Not a big fan though.  I hate the cramped cave feeling and not being able to see 360 degrees.  I actually prefer the simple ladder stands with no arm rest or gun rest.  Much easy to shoot a recurve from.  Phade likes the arm rests and hates when I break them off.  lol

• Like 3

Climber cause i've been doing public land. That said, with the $50 climbers out there next year if I'm back to public land I will put at least 1-2 climbers in some rarely visited spots. Saving carrying 20 lbs of weight and 5-10 min before and after for setup will be truly well appreciated. The Viper is very comfortable but it's still a hassle getting everything packed up or unpacked, the noise, etc. 

Edited by Core