Which stand do you prefer?

Billdogge

Which stand do you prefer?   

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which stand do you prefer and why?

• Ladder
    • Climber
    • Lock on

24 minutes ago, Core said:

Climber cause i've been doing public land. That said, with the $50 climbers out there next year if I'm back to public land I will put at least 1-2 climbers in some rarely visited spots. Saving carrying 20 lbs of weight and 5-10 min before and after for setup will be truly well appreciated. The Viper is very comfortable but it's still a hassle getting everything packed up or unpacked, the noise, etc. 

I've walked by more than a few climbers at the base of a tree during spring gobbler season.   I always scratch my head but of course, I get it.  They are a hassle but nothing good is going to be easy.........or else everybody would be using them.

The $50 climber thing could maybe spook me a bit but then again, I'm bigger than the average bear and demand HD HQ stands............

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Billdogge said:

Any of you take deer off the ground with a bow without a blind

Even though I sit in a stand 75% of the time, I have probably shot 33-50% of my deer sitting on the ground in a brush pile or ,tall grass,behind a tree,etc....

Hmm.maybe I should take a lesson fromy this..lol.... I have taken all my nice bucks from the air though... if I were going to just hunt "deer" I would just throw a stool over my shoulder and go..

These are my figures for bow hunting..if I factored In firearms, I have shot most of my deer from the ground.. And like Archery most of my nice bucks were shot from the air.

Edited by ncountry

1 hour ago, Billdogge said:

Any of you take deer off the ground with a bow without a blind

I took one with the recurve stalking it in a high grass field on my hands and knees.  It was a blast and one of my prouder moments.  I think the doe was as surprised as me when I stood up and actually made the shot.  Lol 

I think grampy always hunts from the ground. 

• Like 3

My only one was in patch of pines i hunt all the time.set up kneeled down behind the base of a pine and a fallen pine infront of me for cover,with my leafy suit.was doing a little grunting and heard crunching to my left.6pt came in the direction i did not expect(should have figured that would happen) and ended up catching my movement as i was trying to position myself.bolted off to end of pine patch but had slowed down by then.got myself ready to draw n gave him a few soft grunts.curiousity got him as he walked the trail i had first anticipated something to walk down back into pines from hardwoods and presented a broadside shot at 25 yrds.nothing short of a real rush being eye level with one.as said in previous post.id rather bow hunt ground all day for the experience and rush of it

It is by far my favorite buck I have killed. a416d439051eb9a81da4dbe16584a292.jpg

Killed him in the boreas pond area. I was about 5 miles from the closest dirt road. Thank god a buddy was with me to help me pack him out, dragging wasn't an option. I watched him chase a doe around a swamp for an hr and watched them bed down under a hemlock. Couldn't see them for a couple hundred yards but was lucky they stayed put I shot him at about 15yds in his bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There is no "perfect" tree stand. They ALL have their benefits & drawbacks!

Once you get to a point in your life where that feeling of youthful immortality fades, security (and comfort) takes over & becomes your primary concern(s). Anymore, for this old fart, only XL ladder stands with gun rails, higher arm rests, wider comfy seats, larger platforms, better construction and lots of extra HD ratchet straps.

With my wussy side revealed ... I did spend years hauling around a climber. More power to those that still tote them around and have nerves of steel while going up/down a tree in the dark with a climber. Never considered a hang-on tree stand. Just something about being ~18' up a tree with a smallish platform/seat and lashed to a tree that brought out my inner wussy-ness! LOL. Can see their benefits, just not for me!!!

I never feel safer than I do in my climber, tethered the entire way of course

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

It is by far my favorite buck I have killed. a416d439051eb9a81da4dbe16584a292.jpg

Killed him in the boreas pond area. I was about 5 miles from the closest dirt road. Thank god a buddy was with me to help me pack him out, dragging wasn't an option. I watched him chase a doe around a swamp for an hr and watched them bed down under a hemlock. Couldn't see them for a couple hundred yards but was lucky they stayed put I shot him at about 15yds in his bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang ,and with a big red shield over your face to boot !

• Like 2

On 3/26/2017 at 1:06 PM, Lawdwaz said:

I've walked by more than a few climbers at the base of a tree during spring gobbler season.   I always scratch my head but of course, I get it.  They are a hassle but nothing good is going to be easy.........or else everybody would be using them.

The $50 climber thing could maybe spook me a bit but then again, I'm bigger than the average bear and demand HD HQ stands............

Oops, sorry, I meant $50 ladder stands :)

• Like 1

I like to hunt out of ladders but like the flexability I can get from a hang on stand.

Ladders seem a little more stabile, my wife can climb them a lot easier, and are quieter to get in and out. Most the areas I hunt I don't need to be more than 15' off the ground if I do I make an extension and the pattern of the deer doesn't change too much from year to year. I can leave them on my property without anyone messing around with them usually. O wait I forgot CHEAPER too.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1