This 4 point not legal in the NY antler restricted zones.

Rattler

On 3/29/2017 at 2:22 PM, Rattler said:

Can you see the problem with using points to decide what's legal?

4PT.jpg

Here's a 219# (dressed) 4 point I shot on my place in 2004.

BigBuck2004compressed.jpg

I believe he was the dominant buck too. I saw encountered  4 and shot at him 3 times from 2001 to 2004 and never saw a rack buck on my place until I killed him.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I love these posts. Name me a law or reg that doesn't have some outliers that slip through the cracks. Heck, I bet the DEC gives you a pass on that one. Heck, I'll maybe even take the $100 fine.

That's crazy talk there aren't any exceptions to the rules or gray area!

• Like 1

The problem is people don't abide by laws they do not agree with.  Prohibition was the best example.  Speed limits are the most common.

When people have good reasons to ignore a law, the law will never accomplish what it is meant to do.

• Like 3

see now you sound like the left media who dug and dug and dug till they found a small handful of college kids or some lady with a young family who was affected by the travel ban. It'll never catch it all. You can ignore this law, but you sure as heck can't post that picture anywhere on the internet anymore.

• Like 3

On ‎03‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:17 AM, WNYBuckHunter said:

But if the antler is short enough to be hidden easily by the ear, mistaken identity happens easily, especially by more casual hunters.

I am guilty of that on opening day this past year. Daughter and I sitting in natural ground blind. 2 "doe" come ripping by in front of us  at mere feet. Neither can get slug gun up quick enough as these deer are moving. They stop for a split second to look over their shoulder (pack of 5 coyotes on cam I think were hounding them) ,daughter whispers I can't get on them, shoot if you can  I raise .44 Blackhawk off backpack and drop one in its tracks. I ideally wanted her to shoot but it happened so fast. Yup, get up to my "doe" and mutter "balls,literally"  I never nor she never saw the tiny just under 3 " and 2.5 " horns. Horns were real dark and gnarled.  Deer was decent sized too. It happened so quick. I would have been screwed if  over 3" and AR's  Would I have done anything differently ? Nope

• Like 3

The part about ARs many want to ignore is the people who only shoot dinks will now be displaced to shooting nothing due to incompetence and impatience. The bigger issue, as stated by others, are these fine folks also break laws nonstop anyway so it's trying to dam a creek with water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, gjs4 said:

The part about ARs many want to ignore is the people who only shoot dinks will now be displaced to shooting nothing due to incompetence and impatience. The bigger issue, as stated by others, are these fine folks also break laws nonstop anyway so it's trying to dam a creek with water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah but my point earlier holds true about the law breakers. We live in a different world. People can't help but take 100 pictures of everything and share. Even dinks. The old school guy who doesn't own a camera phone and breaking this law is probably already out there not tagging. There's no net change.

The tint law is a good analogy. I need to tint my car but now even legal tint is failing inspection. I could be a rebel and not get my car inspected, but it's just not worth it. Being legal at my age and with my responsibility even if it's BS is just the better path.

just my .02.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Antler restrictions are nice if there is enough dec presance to enforce the law...when they made Albany county rifle they opened the door for people to shoot deer in green county that wer not legal and tag them for there ...same goes for doe permits we all know how hard it is to get them for green county...without enough dec presance it's kind of a invalid point

Edited by silent death

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:09 AM, chas0218 said:

That's crazy talk there aren't any exceptions to the rules or gray area!

I don't know about that...

.there's a guy on here says I can smoke dope in NY and cops will just tell me to put it out....

.http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/marijuana-laws-and-penalties/New-York.htm

:popcorn1:  this is a really good post.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:50 AM, turkeyfeathers said:

I am guilty of that on opening day this past year. Daughter and I sitting in natural ground blind. 2 "doe" come ripping by in front of us  at mere feet. Neither can get slug gun up quick enough as these deer are moving. They stop for a split second to look over their shoulder (pack of 5 coyotes on cam I think were hounding them) ,daughter whispers I can't get on them, shoot if you can  I raise .44 Blackhawk off backpack and drop one in its tracks. I ideally wanted her to shoot but it happened so fast. Yup, get up to my "doe" and mutter "balls,literally"  I never nor she never saw the tiny just under 3 " and 2.5 " horns. Horns were real dark and gnarled.  Deer was decent sized too. It happened so quick. I would have been screwed if  over 3" and AR's  Would I have done anything differently ? Nope

a shotgun and a 44 mag...what? you don't own a Viking battle axe?

you only got one of the deer??

claymore will fix that next year, I'll mail you one....:DuckHuntingSmiley:

On 3/31/2017 at 11:09 AM, nybuckboy said:

How about something simple like 2 deer per season includes Bow, Gun and MZ seasons, period. Take what you want and be done with it. No more DMP's.

Let the hunter who wants to shoot meat get it by doe or by buck and be done. For the trophy hunters who want to wait or the hunter who doesn't have a lot of time can get the job and be out of the the wood thus leaving the woods to others who are more selective.

Personally I make no bones about it... I am a trophy hunter first and a meat hunter second. I am fortunate to have to land to be selective and I can bide my time waiting for Mr Big and if he never comes I can take venison later in the season. 

2 deer per hunter per season and that's it!  Should satisfy everyone, even the DEC.

A few of my friends shoot over 10 deer a year most years, DEC will not limit us on LI they simply want as many doe killed as possible. 

• 1 year later...

Laws are not meant as an "answer" to deer management. They are just a way to help minimize the negative effects on the group(s) involved and compensate for the the lack of knowledge most hunters have on what good deer management is. Educating hunters and setting minimal, agreed on, standards for both managing the herds (and habitats) is actually a far better way to achieve real progress. Keeping in mind also that deer hunting has evolved into more than "just" a conservation issue. When you throw in hunting traditions, maintaining interest in the public to continue hunting, and the economic factors and the issue becomes much more complicated than just a simple law or set of laws. The mindset and involvement of hunters along with their cooperation suddenly becomes very important

On 3/29/2017 at 5:20 PM, nybuckboy said:

Same here

fullsizeoutput_4e2.jpeg

He'd be legal in 4W where I hunt. He has 3 points on one side. Hell, he's got 3 points on both sides.

As for the 4 pt in the OP, I wonder if a judge would follow the letter of the law or the intent of the law.

Given my faith in the criminal justice system that sent Machinist Mate 1st Class Kristian Saucier to prison, but allows Hillary to remain free, he would have been processed and in the cooler before I even drove off the mountain from camp.

Edited by eaglemountainman
  • Like 1