This 4 point not legal in the NY antler restricted zones.

Rattler

On 3/30/2017 at 11:15 AM, WNYBuckHunter said:

Under the proposed rules for 8N, just down the road from our farm, this yearling would be legal

E5EECB27-2111-4643-8680-D650E7153315_zps

But this 3 1/2 wouldnt be

IMG950293.jpg

Before you guys say anything, both of these deer have most likely set foot in 8N, and we have deer that meet these categories every single year.Its not an oddity or anything like that. 

What are the proposed restrictions for 8N? Under the restrictions in my area, 4W, that 6 pt would be legal.

4 hours ago, eaglemountainman said:

What are the proposed restrictions for 8N? Under the restrictions in my area, 4W, that 6 pt would be legal.

Most of wny would require 4 on one 14432.thumb.jpeg.872fde72031913ad90aaa6cf7533b95b.jpegside to protect the yearling bucks.. this 6pt would also not  be legal

Edited by G-Man

4 hours ago, eaglemountainman said:

nyantler dug up an old thread for some reason.  there was proposed yearling buck protection legislation that would've used antler point restrictions. it had your 4W at 3 points on a side and 8N would've been 4 points on a side. it makes some sense that you'd want to protect a young buck like that 8 pt to make use of genetics seen in a deer already walking. multiple research studies have proven you can't alter antler genetics by taking cull bucks in a free range herd, including one that started with intent to prove culling certain bucks would work but proved instead it doesn't.  problem remains that just because it started as an 8 pt doesn't mean it'll end up as a giant. a spike horn next to it might grow up into something bigger. also if someone was willing to shoot that yearling 8 pt then they're most likely going to shoot it without antler restrictions so it's a moot point. antler restrictions from a biological prospective are meant to ensure protection of most yearlings, not all. there's always going to be a limited number of older bucks that are an exception that doesn't work with antler restrictions. then again you could always go by points or spread/beam length.  other states have mandatory antler restrictions using something other than points on a side.

27 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Most of wny would require 4 on one 14432.thumb.jpeg.872fde72031913ad90aaa6cf7533b95b.jpegside to protect the yearling bucks.. this 6pt would also not  be legal

3 pts on one side is tough enough. I think 4 pts on one side is going to preclude a lot of hunters from shooting a buck for long stretches at a time. Might cause a lot of folks to give up hunting which is something we really don't want to see. I think it's a bad idea.

In my opinion - some people worrying too much about a one in 1000 deer (or more) that is mature and not legal (referring to the OP).  Point is well taken - however in most of NY it doesn't apply.  In the few areas it does - its got to be pretty rare occurrence , probably busted up racks are more commonly not legal, they would be on my property, and we'd pass them if it were the law.   I do now, and I'm no trophy hunter;  if I'm going to take a buck, I want it to be something I can remember happily.  If I want deer meat I take does, and I'm not opposed to taking a healthy fawn deer in the late season.  

Its easy to pass young bucks and "non-legal" ones when you have plenty of does and tags to use - I understand, so some places, maybe not so easy.  But I think the DEC recognizes those areas aren't likely to be AR areas.   Besides - seems like DEC is content to encourage passing young bucks, and not mandating it for now.   

Edited by farmhunter

10 hours ago, farmhunter said:

In my opinion - some people worrying too much about a one in 1000 deer (or more) that is mature and not legal (referring to the OP).  Point is well taken - however in most of NY it doesn't apply.  In the few areas it does - its got to be pretty rare occurrence , probably busted up racks are more commonly not legal, they would be on my property, and we'd pass them if it were the law.   I do now, and I'm no trophy hunter;  if I'm going to take a buck, I want it to be something I can remember happily.  If I want deer meat I take does, and I'm not opposed to taking a healthy fawn deer in the late season.  

Its easy to pass young bucks and "non-legal" ones when you have plenty of does and tags to use - I understand, so some places, maybe not so easy.  But I think the DEC recognizes those areas aren't likely to be AR areas.   Besides - seems like DEC is content to encourage passing young bucks, and not mandating it for now.   

I can tell you right now that we have big 6s on our farms every single year, and we have multiple yearling 7s and 8s. Its not a 1 in 1000 thing here, or rare at all. ARs would do very little in this part of the state, and thats the whole point that some are trying to make. You cannot manage deer numbers let alone rack size with a state wide law. Hell, you cant really do it properly on a WMU basis. Deer herd size and typical rack configuration varies too much across too small of an area.

Education is the key to having success without pissing too many people off or pushing people out of the sport all together. Teach people the benefits of holding off on young deer, how to tell the difference between younger and more mature age classes.

12 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I can tell you right now that we have big 6s on our farms every single year, and we have multiple yearling 7s and 8s. Its not a 1 in 1000 thing here, or rare at all. ARs would do very little in this part of the state, and thats the whole point that some are trying to make. You cannot manage deer numbers let alone rack size with a state wide law. Hell, you cant really do it properly on a WMU basis. Deer herd size and typical rack configuration varies too much across too small of an area.

Education is the key to having success without pissing too many people off or pushing people out of the sport all together. Teach people the benefits of holding off on young deer, how to tell the difference between younger and more mature age classes.

Well - I was responding to the Original Poster's Mega 4 point.  (2 points per side).  I see your point, I agree with much of what you say.