Picture of modern day bowhunter

sodfather

I get it and agree there seems to be an over kill among some with their gear . However I also know that it seems hunters as a whole have always used the most advanced gear avalible at the time . Did they not ? 

I see today's tree stands as the biggest aid in bow hunting .

• Like 1

Seems like the older I get, the less stuff I carry. Still carry a17 year old bow, release on my hand, knife, a pad for my hiney, a couple bite size candy bars and my phone, most every time I head out. And every now and then I'll go "heavy", and add a range finder, grunt tube, and bino's. Now years ago, I'd carry all that plus, cover and rut scents, at least two or three different calls, gutting gloves, enough food for two hunters, extra socks, a climbing stand, rope, cannon quick shot 35mm camera, more deer pee, extra release, and a hand full of other gadgets and gizmos, that I just knew I needed. Well, turns out that I don't really need much to kill a deer and get it out. As long as I pick the right set up at the right time. My back and shoulders thank me now, every time I head out! Go quiet, go light, go smart.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sodfather said:

I originally put this up for a joke, but I have a question for ya. You mentioned back in the day you had multiple releases and such. So do you think it's an age thing, the younger think they need the extras and tech stuff? With the exception of my bow I got last year I'm not into the tech space or buying new stuff every year. Things have changed but the game is the same to harvest an animal.. I'm just wondering if it's an age thing or a mindset thing

I wouldn't really try to assign any kind of trend to the way my life developed around archery. I was fine until I got the competition bug and started thinking that success was measured by the amount of equipment that I owned. It was that and a bit of becoming a archery hoarder ..... lol. There is always something intriguing about thinking that some magic piece of new technology can provide a band-aid  for form problems or some other natural flaw in one's shooting expertise. It's not an age thing or something that everyone has to go through. But there does seem to be a constant evolution in bowhunting that becomes a search for short-cuts and crutches and paths to a purchased type of success that provides things that mentally trend towards guarantees or at least a notion of a guarantee. We tend to say we're in it for the challenge and then do everything in our power to remove as much of the challenge as is technologically possible. I think it is merely human nature. Is it just bowhunting? ...... Probably not.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1

As someone who just got real interested in archery last few years I will say I don't know how anyone can kill a deer during archery consistently without treestands which on any property other than private means packing one in. Normally for me it's my climber, pack with gear (rangefinder grunt releases scents ect) and my bow still to much if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

As someone who just got real interested in archery last few years I will say I don't know how anyone can kill a deer during archery consistently without treestands which on any property other than private means packing one in. Normally for me it's my climber, pack with gear (rangefinder grunt releases scents ect) and my bow still to much if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I carry my stand and sticks and bow. Anything else that doesn't fit in my pockets stays at the truck 

• Like 2

I carry more gear than I need . When I drive 50 - 60 miles to hunt , I make it an all day deal and when I walk almost a mile to a stand I make sure I don't have to make a trip back to my vehicle unless I get a deer and have to go back for the ATV . 

• Like 1

The most gear that I carry for hunting happens on opening day of gun season for deer. That is the day when I intend to spend the whole day. I am not all that far from the house that day, but the food alone would break the back of a good horse. I have all kinds of crap. Cameras, a full thermos of coffee, layers and layers of clothes, a folding stool, and so many other things that I can't even remember. The first part of the hill is almost hands and knees travel. It is crazy. But I don't want to have any excuses for quitting early when the shooting slows down to near nothing, and I start getting bored. If I have to, I'll pull out a magazine just to keep myself entertained. I always know there will be something in that pack that will keep me there just a little bit longer. Maybe another one of those 5 cold fried egg sandwiches.....lol. That opening day is more like a camping trip than a hunt.