My take on antler restrictions

upstatehunter

17 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Passing on small deer doesn't make you a hunter...it makes you a trophy gatherer...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I sometimes refer to myself as an "evil trophy hunter" in some circumstances.

Now I'm gonna change that to "gatherer".:imsohappy:

• Like 2

I sometimes refer to myself as an "evil trophy hunter" in some circumstances.
Now I'm gonna change that to "gatherer".:imsohappy:

And more power to you I have no hard feelings we all have different standards...but shoving ideas down others throats on licences they buy is not ok.

And I wish you luck gathering a trophy animal

I saw a thing on hunting chanel today about AR's in a state don't remember which one but you had a regular buck tag and a restricted (4 on one side)buck tag. I'd even go with something like that give guys a chance to harvest whatever they want then make them hold out for the second one if they choose to continue hunting

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Passing on small deer doesn't make you a hunter...it makes you a trophy gatherer...

So you are saying that if I enter the woods and do not shoot the first deer that comes into range I am not a hunter?  Just a trophy gatherer?  Man, my season would be over real quick, and not much of a challenge.  That would suck.  Glad I am not a hunter under your definition!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

And more power to you I have no hard feelings we all have different standards...but shoving ideas down others throats on licences they buy is not ok.

And I wish you luck gathering a trophy animal

I hunt one of the AR units now and nothing much has changed for me.

Frankly I'm pretty neutral on the whole topic and, just tell me what I can hunt and when and it's all good. I find these threads entertaining though.

I've attended one of biologist Dick Henry's lectures on AR's and his take is interesting.

• Like 1

So you are saying that if I enter the woods and do not shoot the first deer that comes into range I am not a hunter?  Just a trophy gatherer?  Man, my season would be over real quick, and not much of a challenge.  That would suck.  Glad I am not a hunter under your definition!

Nope I'm saying if you are trying to tell other people what and what not to shoot you are not a hunter. You are trying to stack the odds in your favor to get a trophy

Frankly I'm pretty neutral on the whole topic and, just tell me what I can hunt and when and it's all good. I find these threads entertaining though.
I've attended one of biologist Dick Henry's lectures on AR's and his take is interesting.

I do think there are areas of the state that could use AR's but that's not what's happening they are trying to put it in to many units at a time.

53 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I saw a thing on hunting chanel today about AR's in a state don't remember which one but you had a regular buck tag and a restricted (4 on one side)buck tag. I'd even go with something like that give guys a chance to harvest whatever they want then make them hold out for the second one if they choose to continue hunting

How about something similar:  AR's for the first two weeks of bow and gun, then unrestricted for the remainder?   That has been what I have been doing over the last few years.   Usually, it has paid off in more meat (and more antler points), but it did cause me to look for tag-soup recipes two years ago.     

16 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

How about something similar:  AR's for the first two weeks of bow and gun, then unrestricted for the remainder?   That has been what I have been doing over the last few years.   Usually, it has paid off in more meat (and more antler points), but it did cause me to look for tag-soup recipes two years ago.     

Make it the last 2 weeks of bow before regular season and I'm OK with it

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

the fact that you're open minded alone says a lot.  forget AR's or anyone topic specifically.
..... i mean that in a good way.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 2

So you get to decide what a "hunter" is but everyone that supports AR's can't support AR's without being selfish or elitist or "trophy gatherer's"? I'm far from a "trophy gatherer," but I consider myself a hunter. People often times try to make it look like they're sticking up for the masses and doing the "right" thing but in reality you're only sticking up for the people who think like YOU. We're all entitled to an opinion, but to label someone as not being a hunter because they choose to shoot older deer is the same thing you're blasting people who support AR's for, I like AR's for the most part, (although I'm on the fence most of the time) but you won't see me call someone who shoots a small buck every year not a hunter. Just because someone doesn't fit YOUR definition doesn't make you right. Everyone who likes AR's is not a hunter, everyone who agrees with me is a hunter....? Hypocrisy.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

I do think there are areas of the state that could use AR's but that's not what's happening they are trying to put it in to many units at a time.

in the whole other thread this is all i wanted people to acknowledge and not even with ARs being the answer.  just action to help the situation.

So you get to decide what a "hunter" is but everyone that supports AR's can't support AR's without being selfish or elitist or "trophy gatherer's"? I'm far from a "trophy gatherer," but I consider myself a hunter. People often times try to make it look like they're sticking up for the masses and doing the "right" thing but in reality you're only sticking up for the people who think like YOU. We're all entitled to an opinion, but to label someone as not being a hunter because they choose to shoot older deer is the same thing you're blasting people who support AR's for, I like AR's for the most part, (although I'm on the fence most of the time) but you won't see me call someone who shoots a small buck every year not a hunter. Just because someone doesn't fit YOUR definition doesn't make you right. Everyone who likes AR's is not a hunter, everyone who agrees with me is a hunter....? Hypocrisy.

I never said anyone was not a hunter for trophy hunting I may have stated it poorly I admit. But when so called hunters try telling me what I can or cannot shoot they are no longer are hunters but more trophy gatherers as I said. You want to shoot big deer you want to know every single move your target deer makes by having 100 trail cams set up sending pics to your phone you want to sit in food plots that people plant for the deer more like to kill deer...that's not hunting. Want to earn a trophy go to the adks and shoot any buck let alone one with 4 plus on one side...that's hunting what many do (mainly trophy gatherers) do isn't hunting that is walking out back and shooting a deer you have been videotaping for months.

• Like 1

in the whole other thread this is all i wanted people to acknowledge and not even with ARs being the answer.  just action to help the situation.

The problem is this is not how it will ever get handled by the dec....and I think the dec does the best job they can with the task they have to deal with (other than so tier fisher season that's terrible) if they would split seasons and restrictions up by wmu or even regions we would be better off...but putting 9x and 8n in the same sentence deer hunting is absurd

31 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I never said anyone was not a hunter for trophy hunting I may have stated it poorly I admit. But when so called hunters try telling me what I can or cannot shoot they are no longer are hunters but more trophy gatherers as I said. You want to shoot big deer you want to know every single move your target deer makes by having 100 trail cams set up sending pics to your phone you want to sit in food plots that people plant for the deer more like to kill deer...that's not hunting. Want to earn a trophy go to the adks and shoot any buck let alone one with 4 plus on one side...that's hunting what many do (mainly trophy gatherers) do isn't hunting that is walking out back and shooting a deer you have been videotaping for months.

Can you make up your mind?  Are you defining for us what hunting is, or aren't you?  You say no, you aren't, then you revise your definition, and state a new definition of what a hunter is once again.

So now, by your new definition, I am a hunter if I either walk around and luckily walk into a deer to shoot it, or maybe skillfully track it down in the Adirondacks.  But I am not a hunter if I plant food plots , use a trail camera, or want to learn about what the deer do on my property so that I can strategically intercept it on its normal travel patterns?  Or are you saying I can only shoot a trophy deer in the Adirondacks, but I can't use a camera picture or have video proof to know it existed prior to hunting for it?

I'm confused.  Can I just be a hunter by the method that I prefer to use, provided it is legal?

• Like 1

Can you make up your mind?  Are you defining for us what hunting is, or aren't you?  You say no, you aren't, then you revise your definition, and state a new definition of what a hunter is once again.
So now, by your new definition, I am a hunter if I either walk around and luckily walk into a deer to shoot it, or maybe skillfully track it down in the Adirondacks.  But I am not a hunter if I plant food plots , use a trail camera, or want to learn about what the deer do on my property so that I can strategically intercept it on its normal travel patterns?  Or are you saying I can only shoot a trophy deer in the Adirondacks, but I can't use a camera picture or have video proof to know it existed prior to hunting for it?
I'm confused.  Can I just be a hunter by the method that I prefer to use, provided it is legal?

Lol to hard for you to understand then...trail cams food plots tree houses is not hunting. And trying to push beliefs of what should and should not be killed for the simple reason you want bone on your wall in not hunting. Don't agree don't care really. It's things like this that is going to make hunting a thing of the past let's just regulate it to appease people with deeper pockets

• Like 1

Ahh so now, trail cams, food plots etc aren't hunting. You are entitled to that opinion, as foolish and shallow as it may be... And for the record, I do not have ANY private land or food plots, I hunt state land, but I guess it doesn't matter because I'm not a hunter...

Ahh so now, trail cams, food plots etc aren't hunting. You are entitled to that opinion, as foolish and shallow as it may be... And for the record, I do not have ANY private land or food plots, I hunt state land, but I guess it doesn't matter because I'm not a hunter...

Me either...private land yes plots or cams no bc I don't care what's out there first one by that gets my blood pumping is a trophy to me. I don't care if a bigger one walks by 10 min later while I'm having my victory smoke bc I just killed a trophy on my books. Like I said no hate for guys who do trophy hunt at all. Just don't shove it down the rest of our throats bc you want to shoot bigger bone

• Like 2

Me either...private land yes plots or cams no bc I don't care what's out there first one by that gets my blood pumping is a trophy to me. I don't care if a bigger one walks by 10 min later while I'm having my victory smoke bc I just killed a trophy on my books. Like I said no hate for guys who do trophy hunt at all. Just don't shove it down the rest of our throats bc you want to shoot bigger bone

Maybe you should hunt the Adirondacks, your good at backtracking.

16 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

That's the same point I keep trying to make. Let the hunter decide what they want to kill! Don't force regulations down peoples throats!

35 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Lol to hard for you to understand then...trail cams food plots tree houses is not hunting. And trying to push beliefs of what should and should not be killed for the simple reason you want bone on your wall in not hunting. Don't agree don't care really. It's things like this that is going to make hunting a thing of the past let's just regulate it to appease people with deeper pockets

I have no idea if you are a hunter, but I know that I am.  What bothers me is that you don’t want to “be told what to shoot”, but you want to tell me how I should hunt.  I love venison, and I feed my family of (7) with it.  But I have shot enough young bucks that I don’t find challenge in shooting them, so I don’t.  If there was no challenge in hunting, then why do it?  If you don’t like the challenge it provides then you can go to your grocery store and buy your meat.  Why condemn me for wanting to shoot an older buck.  Maybe I perceive challenges in different ways than you do.  I love filming the smaller bucks under the tree, and watching them walk by, just don’t have the slightest desire to shoot one.  I don’t care if you prefer to shoot that same deer.  Why is wrong for me to pass it.  You say I am not a real hunter for doing so?  Really.  I bet the guys that shoot many of the bucks I pass are happy that I did so. 

So I prefer to bow hunt, because of the CHALLENGE (once again).  I want them close, I like the exhilaration that shooting even a doe with the bow provides.  It is harder for me to shoot a doe with my bow than a buck with my rifle.  I don’t walk to them, or push them to someone else to shoot.  I have to figure out where my best chance to shoot a deer is by picking the stand before the deer even gets there.   But if I put effort in advance to choose mhy ambush point you cry foul - somehow I am not a hunter anymore.

Here’s proof for you though that I am not a hunter, as you put it.  I’m building one of those deer blinds you speak of right now for this fall.  Lots of windows, the works, just so that I can take my three year old out with me and keep him warm when the chance provides itself.  My nine year old watched me shoot a doe with my bow when he was four, out of one of those blinds that you say ruins hunting as we know it.  He now climbs into ladder stands with me, cause he learned early to like to go along.  Partly because I made the effort to keep him comfortable at an early age, in one of those blinds that you say ruins hunting.

I hunt all year long.  Sometimes with a gun, sometimes with a bow.  Sometimes its for sheds, other times I let my trail cameras do some hunting for me.  Sometimes I hunt for new stand locations, sometimes I hunt for deer sign.  Sometimes I hunt for places to put food plots, and I work long hours growing food for the deer to eat both early and late.  I love all of it, not just the part where I kill something for meat.  I call all of this hunting. If you don’t, you might be missing out on some of the rewarding part that scouting and preparation provides.  Or, you may only be doing the part of hunting that you enjoy.

Hard for me to understand you say?  Nope, think I have a pretty good idea about this hunting thing.  I also have a pretty good idea that you only understand a small portion of it, and want to minimalize the rest because it doesn’t fit in your preferences. 

• Like 1

I honestly didn't read all that bc for some reason the font is black and hard to read and I don't care. That being said I see you take your kids hunting kudos to you I take my boy hunting and trapping and fishing all year in the freezing cold showing him that the hunt is in the chase that sitting in the cold all day without seeing a single deer is still awesome bc that's what it's about. It's about the connection to the woods the connection to nature the idea that you have no idea if a 10 point of a spike will cross your path. It's about reading the land and knowing where and when to stand there. It's about the hunt not about the kill. Sadly that is fading fast in "hunters" now a days. You want to hang 100 cams plant kill plots hunt outta heated blinds by all means do what makes you happy. But when I say I should have the right to choose what I shoot don't try change that bc, like you may not agree with the tasty button bucks I shoot I don't agree with how you hunt. It's not about how anyone hunts as long as it's legal I don't care but don't try and tell anyone else how or what to hunt either

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I honestly didn't read all that bc for some reason the font is black and hard to read and I don't care. That being said I see you take your kids hunting kudos to you I take my boy hunting and trapping and fishing all year in the freezing cold showing him that the hunt is in the chase that sitting in the cold all day without seeing a single deer is still awesome bc that's what it's about. It's about the connection to the woods the connection to nature the idea that you have no idea if a 10 point of a spike will cross your path. It's about reading the land and knowing where and when to stand there. It's about the hunt not about the kill. Sadly that is fading fast in "hunters" now a days. You want to hang 100 cams plant kill plots hunt outta heated blinds by all means do what makes you happy. But when I say I should have the right to choose what I shoot don't try change that bc, like you may not agree with the tasty button bucks I shoot I don't agree with how you hunt. It's not about how anyone hunts as long as it's legal I don't care but don't try and tell anyone else how or what to hunt either

Agree again.

Therein lies the irony of AR's! It's OK for those all for the AR's to tell us what to hunt, but, go against the grain of how they think and "Bammo!".