Bone of the week...

wooly

Cow shoulder decorated with a few of my own pics.

Not sure how I'm gonna finish this one yet. Still quite a bit of work before then.

The turkey's making me nervous.:fie:

DSC_0023_01.JPG

Edited by wooly
  • Like 16

Thanks guys. I'm just sort of making things up as I go and trying to learn as much about improving as I can through vids, books, and groups.

I have access to so many bones and skulls that screwing up doesn't worry me too much. Approaching this new hobby the same way I do with most others..... with no fear to keep it enjoyable.

12 hours ago, wooly said:

Cow shoulder decorated with a few of my own pics.

Not sure how I'm gonna finish this one yet. Still quite a bit of work before then.

The turkey's making me nervous.:fie:

DSC_0023_01.JPG

That looks great. How many hours do you have vested?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

That looks great. How many hours do you have vested?

So far, maybe 2 hours into drawing and transferring (my weakness), and about 3 hours into cutting the outlines and actual "carving".

+1.5 hour round trip to the boneyard too to fill my pack.

I probably got another 4-5 hours before I start to think it's time to put it down and call it good enough! For this one I'm planning on cutting out some leafs around the edge to get rid of the old cow bone look, and maybe adding a few in the dead spaces as well. That's "the plan" anyhow. That can all change with one slip of the Dremel,lol

• Like 1

Hey Wooly, You said you don't have access to a laserjet printer.. Another way that works really well.   Find and image you want to work with on Google Images, resize to size you want, print with your basic computer printer in black and white. Tape tracing paper over image and using a pencil color all the black looking thru tracing paper. Now flip tracing paper and tape to bone. Use side of  pencil again to scribble over back of tracing image. Image then transferred to bone. When I used to letterbox my carves were only as good as the image I had. I think you'll like this image transfer

Keep up the great work. Enjoying seeing new Wooly works all the time

• Like 2

Another transfer method I use for wood projects is printing the image on wax paper. I have an ink jet printer and it works awesome. The only drawback is you have to find a program to reverse the image or find the image reversed already out there especially if there is wording involved.

• Like 1

Another transfer method I use for wood projects is printing the image on wax paper. I have an ink jet printer and it works awesome. The only drawback is you have to find a program to reverse the image or find the image reversed already out there especially if there is wording involved.
3b635b9978270da1be1e68e11577bb8a.jpg
Here is a wine rack i made using the wax paper method.
  • Like 3

Not great..., but not TOO bad.

Started to get a little too deep and lost the top section when I hit some pourous bone.

Wanted to do some more with the turkey but got skeered when I held it up to the light and saw it getting thin there too.

Stained it with some strong instant coffee and a few drops of food coloring on the leaves.

Now I know what I can do with this particular bone for next time.

DSC_0048.JPGDSC_0052.JPG

• Like 7

Not great..., but not TOO bad.
Started to get a little too deep and lost the top section when I hit some pourous bone.
Wanted to do some more with the turkey but got skeered when I held it up to the light and saw it getting thin there too.
Stained it with some strong instant coffee and a few drops of food coloring on the leaves.
Now I know what I can do with this particular bone for next time.
DSC_0048.JPGDSC_0052.JPG

Do you have any plans for artwork for horn on a live deer. You're Wooly , totally wouldn't surprise us ya know Wrangle , artwork and release. How'd ya like to be the fellow who shoots that deer and tell his buddies lol.

Great work sir , always enjoy seeing what you do with what Mother Nature supplies you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1