Question for you 3D experts

moog5050

I have never shot competitively so I am not sure how the scoring works. Tonight I shot 2 rounds of 10 arrows from 20yds at my rinehart hog.  The first round I had 2 arrows in the bullseye, 7 inside of the first ring (looks to be about 4") and one outside of the ring by a couple of inches.  

Second round I had 4 in the bullseye, 3 in the first ring and 3 outside of the ring.

From a hunting perspective I was happy with the first round but not so much with the second. But does round 2 actually score better due to the extra bullseyes?  

I realize you probably don't shoot 10 arrows at any target, but if you did, which round scores better?  Thx

81 first round and 79 second round I think then.

but I just shot this one:

6A4FF838-5984-49B0-AC0B-623A64D10DAA.jpg

definitely the winner! 4 bull and 6 first ring for a 88 on your scoring.  Thanks Stone.  Gives me another way besides 20yd NFAA to judge progress.

so how many targets does one shoot at in a 3D round and is it more than one shot per target?  I realize distance varies  

Edited by moog5050

13 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

definitely the winner! 4 bull and 6 first ring for a 88 on your scoring.  Thanks Stone.  Gives me another way besides 20yd NFAA to judge progress.

so how many targets does one shoot at in a 3D round and is it more than one shot per target?  I realize distance varies  

Nice shooting there. When I shot there were 30 targets set at various distance. 1 arrow per target with a perfect score of 300

13 minutes ago, SmokeinTN said:

Nice shooting there. When I shot there were 30 targets set at various distance. 1 arrow per target with a perfect score of 300

Thanks Smokein.  It's just another way for me to compete against myself.  Lol

i suppose I could try random distances between from 15-30yds and see how I do. 

All good hunting practice. 

11 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Thanks Smokein.  It's just another way for me to compete against myself.  Lol

i suppose I could try random distances between from 15-30yds and see how I do. 

All good hunting practice. 

Yes different distances makes it fun. Set your limit and enjoy. The best part for me was guessing the distances so becoming a good guestimater was important. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

We also had chair shots where you had to sit down...always my worst shot

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sitting shots are hard. On occasion we had off balanced shots. Some clubs made the day interesting.

• Like 1

Some of my favorite times as a 13 yr old kid shooting league with my dad with all his work Buddy's. Consistently shot 220 ish really wish I had time to get back into a league at the time I thought it was wierd guys had to look thru binos to find the 10 ring now I get it...o and why not to have brightly colors nocks. If your a good shot they make good point of aim. We shot a indoor league all winter and an outdoor league come spring....good times

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SmokeinTN said:

Sitting shots are hard. On occasion we had off balanced shots. Some clubs made the day interesting.

I colored the bulls in because I can't discern it all from 20yds. I am sure varying distances and guessing the bull location makes it much harder. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I colored the bulls in because I can't discern it all from 20yds. I am sure varying distances and guessing the bull location makes it much harder. 

If you are setting the distance then your good to go. If someone else sets the distance then it becomes challenging. Just enjoy your time with it and be ready for fall.

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

The funny thing is that the bull is higher than I would aim for a perfect kill shot.  Definitely higher than the pocket behind front leg.  Not sure if all the targets are like that. 

Yes on some targets the kill zones are off were I would shoot at  real game. But that's where the score is. 

Rumor has it Wolc turns the 3D targets around facing away. How much is that O ring worth in points?!

Lol a few of the guys used to put 5 bucks on closest to the eye on some of the older targets before they hit the dumpster was fun to watch.

Another game we used to play in the spring league was on the outdoor range they had a long range with big back stop and we would fold a dollar in half back up 80 yards all put 5 or 10 on the table and take turns trying to hit the bill. Was a good time I kid you not the guy who won it the most shot stick bows also shot high 280s+ every week. Was a blast to watch him shoot as a kid.

13 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Rumor has it Wolc turns the 3D targets around facing away. How much is that O ring worth in points?!^_^

LMAO!

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Nice shootin Bud!  I've always tried to make up games to keep it fun shooting alone. Now, since I've been out of action for awhile, I've been giving my grandson little incentives, while I watch him shoot. He's taken more than a few dollar bills from me lately! .........smile.........

3d target shooting is absolutely addicting...Real TC can vouch for this...He shoots the northern league in the Buffalo area and I shoot the southern league. We follow IBO rules and I shoot in the hunter class max 35 yards with fixed pins. 6 shooters on a team top three scores count. A round consists of 15 targets. X's are only scored as a 10, but are the first tie breaker so.we mark the score as 10x I'd that ring is hit on the target. Yesterday was our overall league championship for the southern league and they set a hell of a course...First target out of the gate was a poison dart frog at 22-23 yards
6bc91e140627d56df8dba1ebee633fff.jpgwe have the top two shooters in the league so guys shooting other classes decided to tag along and watch our round play out. The pressure was unreal and as a team we only dropped one 8 thru the first 7 targets...Long story short one of the guys tied for best league shooter had a clean round for 150 and the next two guys had a 144. I was low man on the pole with a 137 and I was actually clean thru 9 targets. It was an awesome day to shoot and fun and he'll battling it out with top notch archers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's impressive shooting for a stick an string. I've heard people say that shooting 3D can be good and bad cause of the scoring and real life kill shots are different and sometimes could create a bad habit. I have never shot 3D so I can't say if that's true..