Spring turkey hunting and ticks

turkeyfeathers

Sorry for Butch. That doxy is amazing! My older dog Bones was on it for 2 days when i noticed an improvement. He has been off it for 2 weeks now and i still am seeing some improvement daily, i have an appt now to have him tested again in 6 months

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Does Sawyers make a product you can spray down your yard with? I couldn't do my whole yard but would do where the dog can go which is also where the swing set and pool is. 

this works for yards.. Ortho Bug B Gone

23 hours ago, CharlieNY said:

I told her about his symptoms and she immediately took blood and ran a test for lyme disease which tested positive. He was given an injection of antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory drug.

The antibiotics will help the symptoms but one thing the vet needs to keep an eye on is kidney function. Once they reach a certain point there is no turning back and all they can prescribe is EXPENSIVE blood transfusions and kidney flushes.

Once mine got diagnosed the antibiotics helped for about two weeks and then no amount of antibiotics were going to help him. Age is also a factor...mine was 9 yrs old. A younger dog may to be able to fight off the effects easier but I would dare guess their life span will be shortened.

• Like 1

After a weekend working at my camp - where I'm pretty good about spraying myself down - I noticed a red splotch on my elbow yesterday. Dime sized, mostly oval, with a small crusty point in the centre. I guess I scratched it at some point, though it's not itchy at all. 

I drew a circle around it and today it has receded in size and colour.                             Tick bite?

1 minute ago, left field said:

My understanding is that the test is somewhat unreliable. Isn't there a course of antibiotics that can be taken as a precaution or is that overkill?

That's what I get for cutting a new trail through bramble and ferns.

Test is pretty accurate, and yes there are 2 antibiotic cycles you can take. A 10 day and a 1 day cycle. The one day is pretty strong so it can have some side effects. It is usually not needed as long as the tick has not been attached for 24 hours, but many time people take the cycle as a precaution.