Spring turkey hunting and ticks

turkeyfeathers

Please heed my warning and pick yourself up a bottle of this 1272f14c37f00fb8475bcff5ae95bddf.jpg

Lyme disease is nothing to fart around with. With the mild winter I only suspect they'll be bad this spring. Pick up one of those tick keys too remove any imbedded ones. Process for the Sawyers is spray clothes prior to going afield. It lasts 2 weeks and kills and repels ticks. It'll withstand multiple washing of clothes too but who washes their turkey gear lol. You folks are all considered my friends so I'd hate for you , your kids etc to get nabbed by these nasty little things. I've never seen a tick on a deer or let alone on me and hope to keep it that way. You can buy it most anywhere. Buy now and be prepared Off my soapbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 14

Great tip, TF ! The little buggers seem to get worse each year here. Rare is the time when you spend the day afield, and don't find one of the crawlies on ya. Sawyers, seems to work pretty good! But nothing is 100%.  Always do a check and a shower after getting home.

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful tip. Just curious, where do you pick that up from?

I googled and got hits it's available at Target , Walmart, Cabelas ( buy ours there ) , Bass pro , Tractor supply. Still got time to order is reason I post up this thread early.

Best way to use this stuff is to spray the clothing till damp, put in a plastic bag, remove the air out if the bag, knot it, let sit for 24 hours.... Then remove clothing from the bag, let air dry.... You will think ticks are extinct... will last through multiple washing's as well.... 

• Like 3

The other thing to remember is to avoid all skin contact with liquid permethrin. I use rubber gloves which I then hose off. Spray outside and stay upwind. I also spray boots, shirts, hats and tents, if camping. If you have cats, secure them from the area. Permethrin will kill cats. 

• Like 2

Ticks are real bad in my area, but I have never used chemicals and have never had lyme. Always shower as soon as you get home, check yourself thoroughly for ticks, and (if possible) have someone else check you. I always have a lot on me since I hunt from the ground. The the most I ever had on me was in PA xbow deer hunting. I had over 30 on me from a morning sit.

I honestly think people who get lyme either aren't showering after being outside or not checking themselves thoroughly. Maybe a combo of both?

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Process for the Sawyers is spray clothes prior to going afield. It lasts 2 weeks and kills and repels ticks. It'll withstand multiple

Seems like good stuff but it isn't 100%.  Last deer season sprayed EVERYTHING. Pack, hats, gloves, boots, camo, etc. And still found a couple on me. For some reason they seem to be most persistent in the southern part of the state like south of I-90. The end of March I was in Schuyler county and our dog (who is treated) picked up two in no time. Luckily she is white and it was easy to see them crawling.

One of my nieces that lives in Chemung  county got diagnosed with Lyme the first part of March and she hardly ever plays outside in the winter. Like Turkeyfeather says I have no doubt they are going to worse than ever this year and Turkey season would be a prime time to get them. The main thing is finding them and removing them before they dig in. You can never be to careful!!!!

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I googled and got hits it's available at Target , Walmart, Cabelas ( buy ours there ) , Bass pro , Tractor supply. Still got time to order is reason I post up this thread early.

Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Ticks are real bad in my area, but I have never used chemicals and have never had lyme. Always shower as soon as you get home, check yourself thoroughly for ticks, and (if possible) have someone else check you. I always have a lot on me since I hunt from the ground. The the most I ever had on me was in PA xbow deer hunting. I had over 30 on me from a morning sit.

I honestly think people who get lyme either aren't showering after being outside or not checking themselves thoroughly. Maybe a combo of both?

Really depends on the area, simply put not all spots in NY have lyme yet all it takes is someone to go in an infested area and bring some back to your location.  You can have 30 a day on you, if none have lyme you will not get it. 

Simply put Biz this is a horrible disease that can have an adverse affect on your health!  I did not hunt LI for many years due to lyme then I found that Pemethrin stuff and how well it works.  Believe me I have been in areas infested with them and so far not one tick in literally hundreds of hours per season, granted most of this time was between October to Feb but it has been a life saver that allows me to hunt LI without fear.  Both my brother who is a butcher and my Father who lives out east came down with Lyme, it is a serious disease do not take it lightly!  One symptom is having no energy to do anything, so that alone keeps my trying to stay protected!  For me I would much rather be pro-active.  That 30-60$ for 2 full sprays covers me for the season of 4 months. 

I do my boots, socks, and basically every piece of clothing I wear on LI including my back pack and bow release, hats, underwear.  I also try to layer so my socks go over my under garments and if it"s really bad I will duck tape the boot area and wrists, some spots are much worse than others.  Climbing to a tree stand a few hundred yards in does not require tape but if I hunt in the thick stuff stalking all day it is an extra layer of protection.

Be safe and take this serious as it can mess you up pretty bad!  It spreads further every year!

• Like 1

I keep saying I am going to buy this for myself. I check myself all the time and was tested last month. 

I buy stuff for the dogs and check them, I even got the Lyme vaccine for Bones and he tested positive other day. But he is and will be fine. 

I was surprised when our cats were picking up ticks this winter, when there was snow on the ground.  I buy my Permethrin online in a concentrated form, it's cheap.  I also spray the foundation of my house on the outside, does a very good job of keeping carpenter ants and wasps away.  As has been said you must be very careful if you have cats, my clothing that has been treated is kept away from the felines.

Really depends on the area, simply put not all spots in NY have lyme yet all it takes is someone to go in an infested area and bring some back to your location.  You can have 30 a day on you, if none have lyme you will not get it. 
Simply put Biz this is a horrible disease that can have an adverse affect on your health!  I did not hunt LI for many years due to lyme then I found that Pemethrin stuff and how well it works.  Believe me I have been in areas infested with them and so far not one tick in literally hundreds of hours per season, granted most of this time was between October to Feb but it has been a life saver that allows me to hunt LI without fear.  Both my brother who is a butcher and my Father who lives out east came down with Lyme, it is a serious disease do not take it lightly!  One symptom is having no energy to do anything, so that alone keeps my trying to stay protected!  For me I would much rather be pro-active.  That 30-60$ for 2 full sprays covers me for the season of 4 months. 
I do my boots, socks, and basically every piece of clothing I wear on LI including my back pack and bow release, hats, underwear.  I also try to layer so my socks go over my under garments and if it"s really bad I will duck tape the boot area and wrists, some spots are much worse than others.  Climbing to a tree stand a few hundred yards in does not require tape but if I hunt in the thick stuff stalking all day it is an extra layer of protection.
Be safe and take this serious as it can mess you up pretty bad!  It spreads further every year!

1024x1024.jpg&key=54c56b0667e6c91d5b246ca48ccebd7447f3386688a14fdc8831e592ae2cdf16

I hunt and fish right in the worst black area (Putnam County). Correct me if I am wrong, but the tick has to be embedded for quite some time in order to catch Lyme. I know people who have it and it's terrible, but they are all non-outdoorsmen or hikers at best. I have to believe they aren't checking them selves or showering. I've had many embedded over the years but always got them off within a few hours, including 1 on my peashooter (no joke). Even as a kid growing up, I remember after being outside my Mom would search my scalp going through my hair to make sure I had none.