Good caliber for bear

I never killed one with it, but a friend borrowed my old scoped, Marlin 336, 30/30 lever-action and killed a big black bear over bait up in Canada quite a few years ago.  I sold it a few years later, but missed it so much, that I just ordered another one today (The Big Loop model).   I certainly would not hesitate to use that on a bear.  In fact, if I could choose any gun for black bear at close range, that would be it.  If the first shot don't do the trick, that big loop should make it easy to get out 5 more real fast. 

My buddy broke the shoulder on his bear, at 25 yards, and put it down in it's tracks with a single shot.  I still have the rest of the ammo in that box.  Maybe I can use that on the old bruin they have been seeing around my in-laws Adirondack home the last few years.   My father in law has been asking for a bear rug to decorate their house, along with the whitetail mount I got him a couple years ago.   

Your .308 is fine, but I would just go with a heavier bullet: 180 gr. they are heavy boned, and even in spring can be well padded with fat.. The guides love seeing 12 gauge slug guns! They don't care for ML much...mainly because with the ensuring smoke, you cant see what the bear did....bears frequently run a short distance, but baits are allways in VERY thick, freq. swampy areas, and even a short run makes em tough to find...especially in the dark. Most likely you will be relatively close: from bait to stand sometimes is only 10 yards, seldom more than 50, sight your gun accordingly.

Myself, my first bear I shot with a .300 win mag...about 12 yards, last night last light, small bear, hit solid through the heart and lungs, blew out a 6 inch square of ribs on the ground and the bear still ran 50 yards., and tore the bear apart. I was disgusted with the gun and never carried it again. My next five hunts (and five bears) I used my single shot 45-70 with a low magnification scope, and dropped each one in its tracks...I would happily bring my .308 or 8x 57, but I do love my 45-70.

The problem with the .308 is it's difficulty handling heavy projectiles.

That is why they came up with the .338 Federal.  It may be the best black bear cartridge ever invented.  It will shoot out of a .308 length short action while providing the energy of a .35 Whelen.  It also provides a trajectory similar to a 180 grain .308 bullet.  Plenty of energy out to 400 yards to kill even an Elk.

Black bear are not hard to kill, but they are hard to get a good blood trail from, especially if the bullet doesn't penetrate clean through the animal.  The hide's fur tends to close up wounds fast and blood trails can be short, even when the bullet punches through both sides.

If I were in the market for a new rifle to hunt black bear, it would be a Kimber 84M in .338 Federal.  And if I were going to be hunting mostly in the rain, it would be a Montana model.  Top it with a Leupold VXIII in 2.5x8 and you would have an excellent black bear rifle that will do much more than that if needed.

Here's all the info you could want on the round:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/338_federal_first_look.htm

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I specifically set up this 45-70 for bear hunting in new Brunswick.. Although it has become my favorite deer rifle as well ..even taken a few grouse with it by popping of their heads..

FB_IMG_1491668491638.jpg

That looks like a big bear GMan.  Congrats. 

Doesn't the outfitter set out bait with stands over/near it? Assuming the rifle stands are for the possibility of the max 100yrd shots...!?! So ... guessing majority of shots will be in the 10-40yrd range?? JMO -  Dust off the 12ga, invest in a better scope if needed and research the very latest in 12ga sabot technology. Always have the 308 as a back-up option and as others have mentioned - more than enough of a "bear gun" to get the job done! Save your $$ on another gun cabinet dust collector that might only be used once or infrequently at the range. With the $$ saved buy something nice for the significant other, the ROI or "happiness factor" is much greater!! LOL

If it were me I'd save your money and use the muzzle loader with a 350grain hornady FPB or a 460grain no excuses . The saved money could go toward funding the trip . 

If not the .308 will work just fine . 

On 4/9/2017 at 6:31 AM, Doewhacker said:

Orrrrrrr

Buy a new 12, I'm thinking gas operated semi auto, maybe that Maxus you have been wanting for years. Or maybe a 1187/1100 that you can get a short barrel with screw in chokes for so you can have a Deer/Bear/Turkey set up.  

That Maxus sure is nice....

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/shotguns/maxus-shotguns/current-production/maxus-rifled-deer-mossy-oak-break-up-country.html

I could throw a turkey barrel on it too...hmmmm

Of course, Id have more into the gun than the hunt is costing me hahaha