Good caliber for bear

15 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Looks like Pygmys last suppository.

16 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Looks like Pygmys last suppository.

OUCH  !!     Actually  I don't do suppositories anymore..

One time my Doctor prescribed them to me, and for all the good they did me I may as well have stuck them up my a**.....

unless you're Jim Shockey with an affliction for MLs i'd use the .308 bolt.  i know a bunch of guys at the club next door that get them out of state (ME) every year.  they all just use a plain old standard cal deer rifles.  They say Magnums are over kill, if there is such a thing.

The 308 would be fine but if you're looking to get another rifle I'd agree with buck master and look at a whelen. From my experience it usually doesn't take much to put down a calm bear. Bears I've seen taken during drives are a different story, they can soak up a lot of very good hits from magnums and go further than someone might think possible.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

The first thing that popped into my head was an AR15 running .458 SOCOM. I looked into the laws up there, and you cant use an AR for hunting apparently. Ill have to see whats available in the calibers you are talking about. This time around Im thinking a nice wood stocked, classic looking hunting rifle with a mid range variable scope on top.

Just what the doctor ordered put a vx3 1.5-5 on it and cut that extra barrel down to 18" load her with 225 Barnes ttsx's dd7744b587f653f266fb521b330a1cd3.pngand you'll have about the best deer/bear gun man ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have a 500 in a H&R handi and it's a cannon. I haven't heard anything good about the 460 in a rifle due to lack of .451 bullets holding together at 23-2500 fps.

I am on  a private group Facebook page for Encores. They have been posting quite a few loads and it seems to be a very popular barrel. They have been running anywhere from 16.5 to 20" on cut down barrels and have been posting very good success on medium game like Whitetail and hogs. It wasn't on my immediate "gotta get" list so I didn't pay that close of attention to the bullets in the recipes. I'll see what they have been using. 

I am on  a private group Facebook page for Encores. They have been posting quite a few loads and it seems to be a very popular barrel. They have been running anywhere from 16.5 to 20" on cut down barrels and have been posting very good success on medium game like Whitetail and hogs. It wasn't on my immediate "gotta get" list so I didn't pay that close of attention to the bullets in the recipes. I'll see what they have been using. 

They have been reaming handi barrels for years into 460. I have considered it for a while as well, cva was going to chamber their scout in them but couldn't get adequate accuracy. I haven't found a bullet yet that will hold together in my 454casull handi and they're a couple hundred ft slower than the 460, even the Barnes are loosing their petals in my beach sand bucket.

Last year I had a model 7 re-barreled in 450 marlin, the guy that put it together claims with reloads he gets 2800fps out of it with a 300gn slug. Also said that he would use it on anything on the planet. I can't wait to shoot something with it. 
IMG_1372.JPG

45-70, 450marlin both shoot .458 dia. Bullets, bullet selections are endless. That's a sweet gun, what length is the barrel? How's it shoot, recoil? You have my mind spinning because that would be legal In Ohio.

They have been reaming handi barrels for years into 460. I have considered it for a while as well, cva was going to chamber their scout in them but couldn't get adequate accuracy. I haven't found a bullet yet that will hold together in my 454casull handi and they're a couple hundred ft slower than the 460, even the Barnes are loosing their petals in my beach sand bucket.

Two of the pads they had 200gr Hornady FTX.

52 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

45-70, 450marlin both shoot .458 dia. Bullets, bullet selections are endless. That's a sweet gun, what length is the barrel? How's it shoot, recoil? You have my mind spinning because that would be legal In Ohio.

The barrels 23", I think it weighs less than 7# without the scope. The recoil isn't too bad, I really didn't feel it, I shoot a lot 3.5" waterfowl loads and it's not as much as those. The guy that put it together is in Ohio, that's why I went with it, it's so nice I bought another model 7 SAUM to build another one. It shoots nice, it has a X-Caliber barrel, Timney trigger and a Bell and Carlson 15.25" LOP stock.