My Dream Rifle Shoots Like A Dream!

On Friday I picked up a Rifle, that I've dreamed of for a long time. A Sako 85 Classic in 270 topped by a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40. My buddy moog5050, made the purchase possible. "Thanks Brian"! So today my grandson and I went over to our shale pit range. Him to sight in his turkey gun, and me to shoot my dteam rifle! I didn't disappoint one bit! First it handles beautifully and immediately felt like an extension of myself. Had to make a couple small adjustments. The trigger pull was crisp and perfect for me. Anyway this is my first 5 shot group after the adjustments. At 100 yards. This rifle will make a lot of memories, for my grandson and I. C10A8443-1.jpg

• Like 22

What type of scope mounts do you have on your rifle?  Are those the original Sako mounts that clamp on to the dovetail that is built in to the action?  I can't really tell by enlarging the photos.  My uncle has a Sako Finnbear and we've had a hell of a time keeping that rifle in zero from one year to the next with the original mounts.  Need to try something else, but there aren't too many good options for Sako's.  One BIG negative I find on a rifle of this quality and price range is their scope mounting system.  Those dovetails are pitifully small for a high powered rifle, and the the action doesn't come drilled and tapped.  I think the latest model Sako's do come drilled and tapped, which tells me that Sako finally woke up on this issue.

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

What type of scope mounts do you have on your rifle?  Are those the original Sako mounts that clamp on to the dovetail that is built in to the action?  I can't really tell by enlarging the photos.  My uncle has a Sako Finnbear and we've had a hell of a time keeping that rifle in zero from one year to the next with the original mounts.  Need to try something else, but there aren't too many good options for Sako's.  One BIG negative I find on a rifle of this quality and price range is their scope mounting system.  Those dovetails are pitifully small for a high powered rifle, and the the action doesn't come drilled and tapped.  I think the latest model Sako's do come drilled and tapped, which tells me that Sako finally woke up on this issue.

They are sako optilocks with the limiter pin.  I never had a problem with losing zero.  Did your uncle sung the bases up to the limiter pin?  My 308 sako is set up the same without any issues.

His are definitely NOT Optilocks.  His gun is a little older model, that he bought used but the gun was like brand new with a box with barely a shot fired thru it.  But the scope mounting system is the same as the gun pictured here.  We've been considering trying the Optilocks with the bases, but they seem a little bulky and high in my opinion have a bit too many parts to them.  At about $150 they are not cheap either.  The dovetails on the Sako's just don't look very strong to me.  Not much beef on them for a high powered rifle.  Actually they don't seem much beefier than a rimfire rifle that comes with dovetails for scope mounting.  If you compare them to the much cheaper Ruger M77 rifle, which also has a built in scope mounting system, the recess on the Ruger system gives you WAY more beef to tighten down the screws.  I actually have a Ruger with that scope mounting system that I hadn't fired in over a dozen years.  I took it to the range last year and the point of impact didn't move a hair.  Nailed the bullseye with the very first shot.  Like I said, I think the Sako's finally addressed the problem with their latest rifles that are drilled and tapped for more traditional scope mounting.  I must have not been the only one with complaints about it.  Otherwise Sako makes a great rifle.

Steve

I have not seen or read any complaints about the optilocks.  Nor have I had any issues so I can't speak to what your uncle experienced.  The dovetail has a slot in the rear where the optilock limiter pin stops the rear ring base from sliding forward on recoil. 

http://www.sako.fi/scope-mounts

Edited by moog5050

Thanks guys.  I'll admit that I've never been a great target shooter. This rifle definitely exceeds my capabilities. When we got to our shale pit range, I saw that winter had dealt a death blow to our bench. So the only thing I could do is put the lead sled on two stacked milk crates. Not the most solid option of course but that is how i made the adjustments and those shots from above. This is a pic from free hand sitting on a milk crate at 100 yards. Most of my hunting blinds have the crates in them, so this simulates my hunting conditions. Also a couple of these shots are from my grandson! And to clarify, his two shots were from the lead sled not free hand.10A35EC1-1.jpg

Edited by grampy
  • Like 2

Nice rifle , It took me 50 years to get my first Sako , model 579 varmit in .243

a tack driver .100 center to center in 100 yards.

My second Sako a model 75, .30-06 in stainless with a factory plastic stock was not as good,after having a gunsmith glass bed the action and a 1/2" of the barrel and a little trigger work it now shoots the same as yours.

both have loupold scopes and bothe came with scope mounts .

Enjoy It.

33 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Steve

I have not seen or read any complaints about the optilocks.  Nor have I had any issues so I can't speak to what your uncle experienced.  The dovetail has a slot in the rear where the optilock limiter pin stops the rear ring base from sliding forward on recoil. 

http://www.sako.fi/scope-mounts

I did understand what you were saying.  I can see the Optilocks being a bit more secure than what he has, but the dovetail grooves on the rifle still don't give you much beef to tighten down on nonetheless.  I guess we'll probably go with these, since there doesn't seem to be too many options available. 

Just as an FYI, here's a video of the Ruger system.  Be it that the Sako is quite a bit more expensive and overall considered a better quality rifle, but I know I'll never be convinced that the Sako mounting system is better than the Ruger.  Ruger makes it simple and foolproof, with very few parts to it, yet rock solid. 

24 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I did understand what you were saying.  I can see the Optilocks being a bit more secure than what he has, but the dovetail grooves on the rifle still don't give you much beef to tighten down on nonetheless.  I guess we'll probably go with these, since there doesn't seem to be too many options available. 

Just as an FYI, here's a video of the Ruger system.  Be it that the Sako is quite a bit more expensive and overall considered a better quality rifle, but I know I'll never be convinced that the Sako mounting system is better than the Ruger.  Ruger makes it simple and foolproof, with very few parts to it, yet rock solid. 

Respectfully saying, I've shot and owned my share of Rugers, Savage, and Remington rifles. I can honestly say none of them have performed like this Sako. Each shot taken "surpised" me, and when I checked the target, and saw the hit I just said, wow. I know there are many, more accurate guns out there. And almost anyone could out shoot me at the range. But this rifle, is the most accurate I've ever shot....by far. And held rock solid through almost two boxes of ammo. Can't wait to get out and shoot another box or two.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

That off hand group is great in my opinion.  Give me a lead sled on a solid bench and I can look good.  Make me take off hand shots and you will know why I look for a tree to lean against for anything approaching 100yds or over.

Not really a true freehand. Sitting on milk crate, pretty solid elbow to knee. Most all my hunting is from a similar position. So I  like to practice that way. But when standing, I do like you if I can, and find a tree! Or hopefully they are 50 yards or closer! Oh, and a Primo's trigger stick is very beneficial too!

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, steve863 said:

Steve, I would also like to add, that I hope you find a way to cure the mounting problem on your uncles Sako.  Keep us posted as to what you come up with, as your opinions and solutions are solidly recognized. And I'll admit, that I don't know enough about these yet to give you a working plan of action. Be interesting to see how you guys work it out. And I know you will!

Sako's are fine rifles! I have a 75 now, and have had 2 85"s (the last was a Finnlight in 7-08). They all shot well and the triggers are fantastic. One of the 85's did have ejection problems whereby ejected shells would bounce of the scope tube and fall back into the action. It would put scratches in the scope tube... which I did not care for. Apparently it was a design issue with the ejector at 6 o'clock instead of being rotated up. I originally used the Optilocks (with the polymer inserts) that worked fine but were heavy. They now have a one piece ringmount available that should be fine. Although the tapered dovetails limit mounting, I never had any movement issues. My 75 currently wears Talley rings and a Swaro scope... it's a great combination. Good luck with that beautiful Sako. I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy it. 

• Like 1