one new plot

So I continued working on one of the new plots raking rocks and leaf blowing...the surface soils are looking good...the smell is promising ,not as acidic as most...but OMG I have some rock raking to do...pics of raked area vs non...about 25-30 by 15 yrds...I got nearly all of it leaf blown and I only need to winch one log to the side and cut a couple of trees and a few saplings...I'm thinking this year...heavy surface lime and a real heavy red clover...then turnips in the fall...next year...we'll see what happens gully one side...brush pile fence the other, plot at the end and 170 yrds off a farm hay field,you can just see it in the first pica bit of green in the distance

20170410_145251_resized.jpg

20170410_160953_resized.jpg

20170410_161006_resized.jpg

20170410_160938_resized.jpg

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

I had to redo batteries in the Bushnell I bought last year...apparently when they go I need to reset everything....times right though..Anyways should I be Happy? ,apparently the cam should still be working at least into 2025...lol

That is part of the main plot area...where the deer and water tub are. Was a excellent clover plot but the moss had a particularly good season last year and took it over so I sprayed and planted turnips...I left the orchard grass for they love that winter through spring but that entire area now needs a good kill...liming and replant will probably do the spaying Wednesday when I return from a Dr. Appointment. no rain due Wed-Friday. I need to get the corn and sorghum mowed pretty soon. Not quite sure what that plot will be yet...more than likely a buckwheat planting...

07280002.JPG

07290020.JPG

OK I finally got the big clover plot 2% glysophate sprayed. Here are pics of that plot last year..  I had 2 things grow great this past late fall winter...moss and GRASS..My poor clover plot is about filled in and the lower one moss killed off two plots. Frost seeding is coming in spotty...I also spent 5 solid hours raking rocks in the new plot...3/4 done and that's just surface rocks...I am whipped! I now have to do the 2% down on the white tail institute plot...it will kill of the chicory but that's OK. It was free seed and I frost seed it and will over seed with turnips again this fall.

PICT0049.JPG

IMG_1883 - Copy.JPG

Edited by growalot

Yesterday I finished raking all but 1/4 of the new plot.  I'll call the gully plot. It sits on the ridge just above the  beginnings of the gully. I also shoveled and moved 6 rock piles. Today is foggy wet with rain due a bit later . So I will load up the Gator with several bags of lime and the hand push spreader. I can not plant this plot quite yet. Each raking produced New growth. Nearly all of it being the invasive Chinese garlic plant. I need to let that seed germination and grow a bit before killing it..I also found two tiny apple tree seedlings..Will make hardware wire cages to protect them for now. Not sure if they are regular,crab or thorn Apple's yet...should know next year.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

What did you use to spray the plot?

My clovet plot is weed over run. However, I'm trying to sell that place right now.  The plot is also my mountainside view. 

They do make something specifically to kill moss.

Doesn't moss mean low ph.  Wondering if you could spinkle powdered lime on it during a dry spell to kill it, then redo the bad spots.  I've done that a few time with a hand rake or rototiller.

SPRAYED WITH 41% GLYSOPHATE AT A 2% TO WATER SPRAY. No moss doesn't necessarily mean low PH what it does mean always, is a cold and wet soil which being up at 1900ft and with highly moist soils you get moss and lower sunlight...We have moss growing on the sides of live trees, our roofs, rocks  you name it moss will grow there in this area. no lime doesn't kill it, what lime does is encourage better growth of the plants you want...Though here even the thickest growing clovers just can't out compete the moss If I do not use enough iron and sulfates to kill the moss..our woodland floor is covered in it and the spores go everywhere..our wonderful winds. I have 20# if moss out ready to go in a couple of places...BTW I naturally add at least a bag per small plot ,of lime every year...leaf litter and just rain fall in woodland plots raise the ph yearly. Increasing potassium and iron is beneficial and when growing clovers the fertilizer I use is either 0-20-20 or 10-20-20...I do not want high nitrogen in a clover plot producing nitrogen...that just causes weeds...This said, plots with moss problems and no legumes would benefit from high nitrogen  to reduce moss. Iron can raise ph so you need to adjust accordingly. I use Milorganite to keep deer off plots and fertilize with iron..thus another reason I add lime yearly.

Today was a bust for the lime...rains came way early and it's been pouring most of the day. Hell of a thunder storm at the moment. I did get out and do a bit more rock work and raked most of the 1/4  portion I still needed to do...just leaf cover for now...rocks next. I got some brush cleaned up and on a new fence line. Checked what  sprayed and. It is working all ready on a bunch of stuff. This will stunt the clovers for  week or two, but once I see most of the grasses and weeds dying back I will hit it with fertilizer. 

I have a boomerang shaped brush  fence that is at the head of the gully.. built it years ago. I then planted a 10 -15 ft.  wide plot around the open end of it and down one side..the other side is part of the trail I'm  going to plant this year. The inside of this boomerang I let to grow wild..what has been coming up through the considnrable leaf litter is a wonderful wild raspberry stand. Nearly a 1/3 of the area has turned into raspberry bushes..the deer sign is fantastic. It is a quiet protected area they have an opening in the middle to pass through the fence and right now WR to much on. The pond area is in front, the clover plot I sprayed is 150 ft. away. We several producing apples near by and a huge may Apple patch in front of it next to the pond. I think this berry patch will become a bedding area for them. I can hardly wait to see what unfolda there this year...just one change in an areas land scape can produce big changes in movement...blackberries may have been a better draw but we'll see.

Worked on the plot yesterday and will finish up the raking today That plot is really greening up...I should be able to weed kill it this week and then rake in clover...then I have to get food garden work done...

Took my walk with Angel this a.m. and checked the new cam over the WR that is adjacent to the new plot.  The deer are following their normal path up and down that trail from the gully to the plot. Can you see them down on that trail in the back ground? Now normally they will come up out of the gully and hit that plot then go to sanctuary up on the neighbors...I want to avoid that with this new plot and the new trail plot I'm doing this year to draw them directly the the end of garden and boomerang plots...This loosing them to that neighbors sanctuary until dark has gotten old the last few years. I'm also trying to steer them out of the big farm fields closer to my upper line and the neighbors sanctuary. 4 new stands have popped up on the new neighbors place...so they'll be hunting hard along that south side of my property. The new brush pile fence along one section of my south line is now about 3 ft high...I worked on it this morning ...The interior of my woods is a pleasure to walk through now...with designated pockets of down fall for the doe to jump into when being chased and big downed trees to bed up next to. All this dragging of limbs and slashing has opened up the leaf litter and I have much more ground growth starting...honeysuckle brush dogwood brush the leeks and a bunch of other stuff.

I have a ground blind in this area that I am raising up on a platform this year...It will stay in the same location but lifting it will open up my view to half my south line and down to my west line from the end of the lane way to the south west corner...then to the edge of the west side of gully bank. Amazing how much opens up with  just 5 1/2' lift. It also clears a shooting lane directly into the edge of the plot I have those Tom pics in...

20170423065913_0.JPG

20170423065931_0.JPG

Edited by growalot

Spraying reduced concentration gly is a cheap way to control grass in clover, but it can lead to gly resistance.  The grass is an indication that nitrogen is getting high in the soil in those areas.   You might want to till those grassy areas up later in the summer and put in a heavy nitrogen user like brassicas, corn, or winter wheat.  In the mean time, I would just control the grass as best you can with mowing.    

Edited by wolc123

Raking done...last pics until I have a good growing plot...I got up in the tree stand, one of the first I built back when our son was 9 or 10...he's 31 now...This has always been a good spot got my first bow buck a 7pt, so many years ago from this stand..first pics are from the front...next 3 are from what I've been working on behind stand Sun was pretty bright and pics look fuzzy from my cell phone.

20170423_163259_resized.jpg

20170423_163315_resized.jpg

20170423_162856_resized.jpg

20170423_162859_resized.jpg

20170423_162903_resized.jpg

Edited by growalot

• 2 weeks later...

If the weather would just cooperate! I could get so much done! worked a little in garden then finished shoveling the rocks/ moss on the lane way plot...I need to spray the weeds in the new plot in pics but rain and threat of rain has stopped that. pouring out now. Glad I'm not a farmer...they did take advantage of that early nice weather but now we have freezing temps and snow on the way...it's great for their canning peas...but not so much if they tried getting corn in. some beets maybe...the one crop farmer has beets on occation.

• Like 1

I'm pretty much drowning over here. I'm not sure how good my clover and chicory plots are going to turn out with all this rain. Tons of standing water all over the place. We can be done with the rain any time now

Yea I planted clover over 3 weeks ago and just tiny little sprouts coming up... the soil is so wet I tried to walk the edge of the plot and sank in half way up my shin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Yea I planted clover over 3 weeks ago and just tiny little sprouts coming up... the soil is so wet I tried to walk the edge of the plot and sank in half way up my shin

Same here. My stuff is sprouting great. But there's a lot of water on most of it. And any part of if that I try walking on I sink mid high on my rubber boots. Trying to stay off it so I don't ruin what's growing lol

Same here. My stuff is sprouting great. But there's a lot of water on most of it. And any part of if that I try walking on I sink mid high on my rubber boots. Trying to stay off it so I don't ruin what's growing lol

I'm doing the same thing, but I was so tempted to
Check a cam there today since i haven't been at cam that I walked the edge.... tons of daytime activity

• Like 1

Finally dried up enough to get another spraying done...I also went to the new plot and sprayed all the tiny new growth of weeds keeping the ferns a bush and the 2 apples cleared. I had a few more trees I wanted to cut...not only for that plot but the lane way plot I intend on putting in...if I ever get the tractor...Mr B has a bug firmly attached to his nether region...hhmm that was frank.....any ways I'll get it done one way or another ...The plot in pics is ready to seed in clover and hand rake in...I have various features in there so I can not use the drag... which is alright I had raked the entire thing for rocks...just good arm strengthening..

The trees added nicely to my old and new brush pile fences...the old one is well over my head and the new one is at face level. Plus I had downed a few rather large ash dead and alive. Also a couple of bad maples...these went across the lane way and needed to be sectioned so I could handle moving them. I really don't like doing that with the pruner...even though that's how I downed them..It's a skill when on the stump,but on the ground much harder on the saw...I usually ask for my son to come over and make a few cuts..but he's got a gutted house and new kitchen cabinets and a floor to level to get anything else done.  so I put on my get er done! attitude and made the sections...though I will need to do some fancy winch work to get at least two sections off to the side. Lots of bright and filtered light getting in there...it is going to be awesome when done and so very pretty to boot.

Got all the weeds in garden sprayed but no tilling just yet...

Half the plot with lime scratched in and planted with med red and Balansa clover. rain due so we will see how it does...the long trail clover trail plot is coming in great now...That took long enough and several hand blisters...may wait to plant the rest to see how this works out...I can always hit it with lime again later and then winter grains and clover in the fall

• 3 weeks later...

The clover is popping through...still lots of annual weed...but just one specific one that will grow tall over the clover and easily weed whacked before seeding out...leaving a mulch for the clover a few more trees to cut in that area..strategic for sun but looking good...those trees I left were used as rub trees last year...the little shrub are goose berries and a few fern were left. also one big and a couple of smaller rotting logs to lay up next to..which they do a lot here. The WR is the adjacent plots allowed to seed for the turkey....

20170528_115041_resized.jpg

20170528_114842_resized.jpg

20170528_114437_resized.jpg

20170528_114521_resized.jpg

20170528_114655_resized.jpg

20170528_114740_resized.jpg

thanks worried to much rain as of late i planted mine 24th have not checked it, an hr ride from home, but its rained every day since and hope that much rain hasn't ruined it the land has decent drainage where it is so no standing water .