New Crossbow brand, wave of the future?

maytom

When I was at S&S Archery buying a new Mathews Halon a week or so ago, this factory rep was there showing off this new Crossbow.

Honestly, I'm thinking it was less than a foot axel to axel!!! Talk about compact!!! It was called Ravin. Will put up a link below.

The only thing that dropped my jaw was the price.....over $2,000.00!!!! ravincrossbows.com

i posted about it in the crossbow thread before shortly after the ATA show back in the beginning of the year.  it's definitely a cool bow.  doesn't meet the minimum axle to axle width for NY though.  maybe they think you can conceal it too easy and shoot a place up with it. lol

• 1 month later...

I know it is $1400 , but it looks cool, 390 fps is pretty Darn fast, overall small size, comes with the scope also. Last time I talked to some hunters they were not confident in shooting over 60 yards and having enough energy remaining to penetrate for a quick kill shot. This might be as solution.

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk

I know, from first-hand experience and actual measurements, that 300 fps provides 8" of penetration (fortunately all the way thru the heart)  into a broadside whitetail buck, from 59 yards, using a 3-bladed, 125 grain mechanical broadhead.  I would be very confident in a full pass thru at 60 yards with an additional 90 fps, but I will limit future shots to 50 yards with my entry-level rig.     

Does anyone know if changes to the current minimum width and max pound restrictions are included in the crossbow bill that is currently tied up in state congress?   I know that the bill includes "full inclusion", and classification as "archery" equipment rather than "ML", but I am not certain about what else it contains.   

The only way I would consider spending more money on a crossbow upgrade would be if full inclusion passes.   The one that I have now is right at the current 18" minimum width.  That does make it handle quite good offhand, compared to a many of the wider, faster, front-heavy models out there.  Last season, it put a bolt diagonally thru a larger buck's body (in behind the shoulder and out the ham on the opposite side), and about 2" into the dirt behind him, from 17 yards.  I got to see that one fall over dead, after he staggered off a little ways, dragging the leg that the bolt had exited from.         

• 2 months later...