New to hunting NY could use some suggestions.

hunterjim00

Good morning everyone. My name is Jim. Does anyone know of a good place to find Game Land maps or Public Land Maps? A good friend of mine has recently moved to Hamburg, NY and will be stationed there for the next three years ( He's in the Navy). We're from PA and are looking for a place to get started to hunt some Turkeys on public land. Obviously I'm not asking to give me a GPS location of your favorite spot. Just an idea of a place to start. Any help would be appreciated.

i would start with S.L.I.M.   its from NY State Dec.  State Land Interactive Mapper or something like that.   It shows you the boundaries of state land pieces in both traditional maps and in aerial photos which is good. 

You can also print up the maps in color.  After that its all leg work. 

Good luck and good hunting

• Like 1

2 hours ago, agross said:

i would start with S.L.I.M.   its from NY State Dec.  State Land Interactive Mapper or something like that.   It shows you the boundaries of state land pieces in both traditional maps and in aerial photos which is good. 

You can also print up the maps in color.  After that its all leg work. 

Good luck and good hunting

Thank you.

This is a good spot to start: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/82098.html

Choose region then it lists state forest by county.  Depending on the forest some have trail maps.

State lands interactive mapper previously mentioned:  http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45415.html

Depending on how tech savy you are Google Earth is also a good resource.  New York State DEC has a kmz file for displaying public land boundaries in google earth.  Also, you can contact the environmental conservation officer for the region you are looking to hunt.  I've always found the to be nice and willing to provide information.

• Like 1

Save some time.  Talk to state troopers, town highway superintendents, and the DEC foresters and forest rangers about deer.  They know where there's better forage, when the car accidents happen too.  That's helped me out during the years.

If asking farmers, talk to them about late muzzleloading season and small game or predator hunting.  Lot better luck getting someone to day yes then regular rifle season.

Town parks sometimes offer hunting, but likely you'll need to apply for a permit.

State parks can be great hunting, but most are bow hunt only.

Far as hunting opportunities, I hunt on the edges of town on small properties.  Some weary owners allow bow hunting only.

Late season scouting helps in public lands by me.  Find where they're walking.  

The one public spot in NY I know very well, the deer hid in the swamp.  Again ask the forest ranger.  He gave me that tip and ok'd me putting a stand up in there.

Zoom in NYSDEC on topo mode all the way.  You get 20ft elevation grid lines on the topo.  Go between NYSDEC slim, google maps, and mapquest for overhead pictures.  Sometimes you get lucky and they took the picture when the leaves turned, so you got an idea where's confiers, or can guess if theyre oaks or maples.    The forester can be real helpful too.   He can tell you what trees are in an area.  It is his job to know what spots have deer damage to reforestation areas.  Fire control folks can be helpful too.  Recent years forest fire areas.  Good browse areas.

Edited by sailinghudson25
  • Like 3

I have property in Belfast ny. There is alot of state land around as well. It is probably hour or so from you. I hunt most weekends and wouldbe more than willing to let you come hunt. Once i met you,you could have access to the property whenever you wanted. Message me if interested. Thank your friend his service either way, i have a brother in the army. 

• Like 3

On 4/17/2017 at 5:32 PM, Chumleyhunts said:

Is this Jim Oshe Jr who works for Grant? I am from Butler originally and used to work with Jim Sr. for Grant. I have some spots about an hour or so from Hamburg and would be willing to get together with you guys.

Kevin C.

It is. Jim Osche Sr. I'll send you a PM and get some details.