Jumping off the Longbeard XR train!!!

WNY Bowhunter

13 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Grabbed this out of Field and stream article

When I tested Long Beard 6s versus Hevi-13 7s for penetration, it was no contest. Hevi-13 penetrated three times deeper into a duct-taped phone book. Based on that, I’d say Long Beard No. 6 is a load for 40-plus yards, not quite 50, since pellets still need to break bones and pene-trate skulls when they hit a bird. .

dang I'm not shooting 50. Even with 3.5" hevi's and a pure gold choke and red dot designed to do so. Do you guys?

Edited by Belo

1 hour ago, Belo said:

dang I'm not shooting 50. Even with 3.5" hevi's and a pure gold choke and red dot designed to do so. Do you guys?

I know it's controversial, and many purists don't consider one to be a "real" turkey hunter unless they call a bird in 30 yards or closer, but I'm way past all that. I like to fill tags, eat turkeys, and make their fans, wings, and feet into trinkets & calls. I'll take a 50 yard shot if I think it'll be the best shot I get that day, I know what my gun & setup can do. I'll sneak in one one, fake one out with a fan or gobbler decoy, belly crawl (these days a LOT of belly scrapes the ground, LOL), or set up an ambush, whatever it takes, as long as it's legal. I never shot one off the roost yet or used a motorized decoy, but never say never....:drinks:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I know it's controversial, and many purists don't consider one to be a "real" turkey hunter unless they call a bird in 30 yards or closer, but I'm way past all that. I like to fill tags, eat turkeys, and make their fans, wings, and feet into trinkets & calls. I'll take a 50 yard shot if I think it'll be the best shot I get that day, I know what my gun & setup can do. I'll sneak in one one, fake one out with a fan or gobbler decoy, belly crawl (these days a LOT of belly scrapes the ground, LOL), or set up an ambush, whatever it takes, as long as it's legal. I never shot one off the roost yet or used a motorized decoy, but never say never....:drinks:

I like your style! To consistently  birds every spring, adaptability is the key!!!

• Like 1

if i heard "unless you call a bird into XX yards you're not a real turkey hunter" from some ego driven turkey thug, i'd hold out my trad bow and say "indians did it. have at it if you think you're a real turkey hunter." haha  no reason like that should make it harder than it already is.

• Like 1