2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

So it was the opening morning " give me a break fest" which I have now come to expect over the years...I get to my spot  last minute decision permethrin on clothes and thermacell lantern going. The black flies didn't care, it was bad once it got light. I no sooner sat and I got a coughing jag, not a little one I mean coal miners cough type.....that finally subsides and my sinuses are flowing like the Niagara river and I'm about to go home ...When I hear some faint clucks...long and short of it very faint gobbles to my right and behind me...2 far off shots from same direction...I'm doing purrs and clucks and the occupational(occasional)LOL  hen gobble and yelp...when I hear a twirp purr  behind me and I start to get ready...I cant lift the gun up because I have no idea which end of blind they will show...in the mean time I hear a gobble above me. I wait and wait then do some clucks and a soft yelp that's when I hear the snapping...and the black flies are in my eyes and biting my forehead. To my left out pops a hens head... I think great:mda:Then 1,2,3,4,5,6, red heads come right in behind her and they are between 1 and 10 ft from the blind eyes in every single direction All jakes....I watch them for a bit and feel another coughing jag starting to erupt...Well that sealed the deal. I had the closest one to me go behind a sapling and I shouldered the gun, he of course saw it as did all the others. He was a good 12 ft away running, bam ! WTH clean miss,Seriously! He swings around and comes back as I look over to see his buddies still standing there...I swung the gun and dropped the first bird the bead hit.....Didn't that gang of 5 remaining come back to circle stomp their dead buddy. I watched this a little bit until I hear Gobble Gobble and here comes the long beards I think I had played with at Rivers blind...which was directly behind me on the other side of the woods. Well they past, but those Jakes were still hanging in 15 ft away making quite the stink. I got up and they went up the hill but still stayed yelling at me...they'd run back towards the blind then back up the hill...I have never seen that before ,they weren't letting it go. So I did something I normally won't do especially opening day  or even here..Camp yes it's too far a drive to come home empty handed... not as much meat but it should taste great...  my next hunt will need to be from an enclosed blind not brush...,any black fly remedies out there?

1/2 in. buttons and 3 1/2 in beard 16#'s... here he is and pic of birds with the blind I was in in the back ground.

20170501_083206_resized.jpg

PICT0001 (17).JPG

Edited by growalot
  • Like 27

Called in 6 Jake's for buddy of mine. He's 57 and hunted deer all his life, but never hunted turkey, and never shot one in the fall.  

He was going to pass and hope the Tom's would follow, but one of the Jake's walked within 10’ and didn't quite like what he saw. Alerted the entire clan.  At 30 yrds out he decided a Jake was just fine for a first bird.  

IMG_20170501_055516456.jpg

• Like 26

Congratz on those who got birds!! I have not seen or heard a turkey on land I can hunt so did not even get out of bed. I did see a great tom and a couple hens at 1pm yesterday in a field along the highway across town.

Well...I'd have a big beauty of tom dead right now to show you guys...but my boys couldn't quite hold it together long enough.

Just as they are getting bored and wanted to go home. I hit the call one more time and a bird gobbles less than 100 yards behind us. My 2 year old starts flipping out that he wants to go home and I couldn't get him to quiet down enough in time. Bird came in and got spooked by all the commotion coming from the blind. What a bummer! O well, I'll come out tomorrow morning after work by myself and see if I can get it done.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Well...I'd have a big beauty of tom dead right now to show you guys...but my boys couldn't quite hold it together long enough. emoji849.png

Just as they are getting bored and wanted to go home. I hit the call one more time and a bird gobbles less than 100 yards behind us. My 2 year old starts flipping out that he wants to go home and I couldn't get him to quiet down enough in time. Bird came in and got spooked by all the commotion coming from the blind. What a bummer! O well, I'll come out tomorrow morning after work by myself and see if I can get it done.

Good for you bringing them out.  Its pretty hard at 46 let alone 2 years old to stay patient.  That Tom will be back.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Well...I'd have a big beauty of tom dead right now to show you guys...but my boys couldn't quite hold it together long enough. emoji849.png

Having a two year old in the blind with you? Bless you! Some day you will both get a good laugh when you tell the story! So cool that the boys are spending time with you in the woods at such a young age! You have plenty of season left to put that ol" gobbler down!

• Like 7

Having a two year old in the blind with you? Bless you! Some day you will both get a good laugh when you tell the story! So cool that the boys are spending time with you in the woods at such a young age! You have plenty of season left to put that ol" gobbler down!

Yep the youngest is 2, will be 3 next month. My other is 4. I didn't take them out at first light since they were sleeping but my wife got them dressed up and ready to go for me to come back and get them. You shoulda seen me carrying both of them, plus my shotgun the last 100 yards or so to the blind because of the deep mud haha. They had a good time even if we didn't get to shoot the turkey. I can only hope they want to keep going with me for as long as I live! I really wish the age limit for hunting wasn't so high in this state....
  • Like 7

36 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

So, so, so close this morning...my wife passed on a iffy shot...proud of her for holding back. Redemption tomorrow! !!

I would have bet she would have one down today.  Tomorrow for sure.

Nice morning... Intel told me birds in the field 2 days ago around 10am... Well I got in at 520a set up. No shock gobbles. No gobbles at all.. About 630 there is one way way off... May have just been my imagination... At 940 I can't stand it anymore butt is numb so I pack up.. Walking up the field I see 2 Jakes scooting away from me in the hardwoods....

I drop. Plant the hen. And crawl off to stone wall and try to call them in. Then I get a gobble from the woods I had just left behind me.

It gets closer..
It passes on by. Saw the lone tom as I peered behind me over the rock wall. But he kept trucking..

Had I stayed put another 20 he would've walked right by me.

Bummer.

I still setup the same spot tomorrow right?

Anyone using strut tom decoys? I had mine with a breeding pose hen in front of him.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Packed it in just short of 11. Maybe should have stayed til noon. Saw 3 different Toms solo in 3 fields on the way home. And I overlook a field. Oh well, heard some birds. After fly down they shut down for an hour. Had one I thought coming. He cut off my purr and sounded like he was coming in from maybe 200 yards. Nada showed and quiet again. Day 1 : turkeys 1 Me 0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

yesterday during the day i was working in the garage and heard a tom sound off.  i've got a beat old box call in leave in there.  for laughs and fun i called the long beard in from out back to the edge of the yard.  daughter who's almost 3 couldn't take it any longer.  ran out from behind the corner of the garage and out into the yard after it.  it obviously didn't like that and went back out into the corn field. kids i tell ya!

• Like 3

Well, this is a first.. buddy and his son called in a decent tom. He shot and the bird dropped. Within seconds a red fox came out of the brush and pounced on the trukey.  

He's seen the fox in his barnyard a few times running off with a chicken or duck, so he didn't need any convincing to shoot the fox. 

• Like 1