2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

13 minutes ago, mowin said:

Well, this is a first.. buddy and his son called in a decent tom. He shot and the bird dropped. Within seconds a red fox came out of the brush and pounced on the trukey.  

He's seen the fox in his barnyard a few times running off with a chicken or duck, so he didn't need any convincing to shoot the fox. 

That's a pretty unique experience.  You would think the first shot would scare the fox off.  Must have been really hungry.  lol

Well, this is a first.. buddy and his son called in a decent tom. He shot and the bird dropped. Within seconds a red fox came out of the brush and pounced on the trukey.  
He's seen the fox in his barnyard a few times running off with a chicken or duck, so he didn't need any convincing to shoot the fox. 

If I was home Sunday morning I'd have a nice red fox down myself. We lost 7 chickens to that fox. Wife was just waking up and was in the bathroom when she saw something go flying by the window, went outside with the dog and the fox was standing there with 4 dead chickens in the yard, one in its mouth, 1 dead in the neighbors yard and one in the middle of the road. Lost almost half my flock right there.

But don't worry...wife already replaced them with 12 new chicks before I got home! Lost our other ones around 7 and she had new ones here by 1.

If I was home Sunday morning I'd have a nice red fox down myself. We lost 7 chickens to that fox. Wife was just waking up and was in the bathroom when she saw something go flying by the window, went outside with the dog and the fox was standing there with 4 dead chickens in the yard, one in its mouth, 1 dead in the neighbors yard and one in the middle of the road. Lost almost half my flock right there.

But don't worry...wife already replaced them with 12 new chicks before I got home! Lost our other ones around 7 and she had new ones here by 1.

We lost a chicken to a fox last spring, that evening before dark I walked out into the woods behind the house with a chicken under 1 arm and the 10/22 under the other tied a rope around a sapling then around the chickens legs backed up 20yds didn't take 5 minutes for me to be back to the house and the fox to no longer be a threat to the chickens. It turns out chickens don't like to be tied to a tree in the woods and they'll make one hell of a racket when they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

After my tom flew down from the roost he gobbled once pretty far from the fly down. I heard one more gobble at 725. Walking to other side of property around 9 I bumped a hen. After repositioning I called in a tom but he was silent and i hear a stick break behind me.... turn around and fiveyards behind me! Busted. Saw a fox after that. 

Planted 500 saplings from state and i am whipped now. While planting trees at 140 there was a single gobble and pretty sure i heard a hen with that bird. 300 more trees to finish Wednesday.

• Like 2

Only heard maybe 4 or 5 gobbles all day.  Saw a nice coopers hawk and a goshawk.  Then at 2 when i was on my way to some food plot maintenance i jumped two toms in my plot.  

I know where i will be tomorrow.  I think they were feeding on the clover and rye thats popping up in the plot. 

Please let this weather report be true! Some thunder showers in the middle of the night, the woods are so loud it foiled both of my stalks on gobblers today.

I had to retrace my footsteps this morning as I think I missed a stick I didn't step on and snap. Found it and stepped on it , all good.

• Like 4

I'm a very novice turkey hunter, had 3 gobbling at me this morning. Got within 80ish yards, only saw one. Well now I had a flock of 5 jakes maybe 1 tom, and looked like 1 or 2 hens in my cornfield. Question is if they are out there now how soon to roost? Hoping they will be close in the a.m.

I'm a very novice turkey hunter, had 3 gobbling at me this morning. Got within 80ish yards, only saw one. Well now I had a flock of 5 jakes maybe 1 tom, and looked like 1 or 2 hens in my cornfield. Question is if they are out there now how soon to roost? Hoping they will be close in the a.m.

Did you roost them ? I'd guess they only move 0-1000 yards from morning to evening. Call softer than you think you should Soft purrs and clucks , 3 or 4 note soft yelps. 15-20 minutes apart if hearing nothing. If they're inside 100 yards scratch leaves behind you like they're feeding , really soft purrs. Hope you tip one over.

Didn't roost them they were in my field, no good way to get close enough without spooking them. But figure they have to b within 100 yards of the field by the time they left it. I only have a mouth call, I can yelp and cluck good. I have a cheap Jake and hen decoy also. I'm going setup near the edge of the field tomorrow morning and hope they come out in the s as me area again. 

I'm baffled at the time spent at the farm over the last couple weeks and still not one gobble. Seeing a pile of Tom's and Jake's just no noise. Sometimes I feel it's half the hunt when they are rolling. Tom my dad got this am was in the field with hens for 30 min before coming our way. Strutted a bunch but no noise. Hoping that changes tomorrow am as I'm first on deck for a longbeard !! If I see one far enough I'll be pulling out the mojo scoot n shoot and skull dragging into punching distance. That's my first bird goal this year !

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Getting ready to head out for day 2.   Wonder how that atorm affected the birds last night.  Probaby soaked.  

Anyone have any rainy evening before a mornings hint advice?

Usually they are pretty quiet following a good soaker storm. Will most likely head towards fields to stretch out to dry off at first, especially if the sun starts to come out again.

All set up in a blind right wear the two longbeards came from/left towards yesterday morning. Hope they don't like the new jake that's hanging out with the ladies. I killed one in this very spot last time I hunted it with the same setup.

Should be gobbling soon...

Thought it was turning out to be a good morning. Just got set up and heard one sounding off about 500 yards away in neighbors field.   8 to 10 gobbles then POW.   Someone got lucky.  

But at least they r gobbling

• Like 1

I suppose I should have known better. I'm hunting a new place today where some strutter's have been seen from the road in the wheat fields below the hill top I'm on. Of course there is a guy calling like crazy down below me. Oh well, I gave it a shot anyway. Back to hunting behind my house tomorrow if it's not raining.