2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

Well just made a 250yd crawl in a tire rut in a plowed cornfield to cut of a bird everything worked perfectly other than he zigged instead of zagged and came in 10ft behind me and never game a shot. Now I'm muddy and soaked but still have a lot of time and I think I know where he's heading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Had birds all around me but but not near enough...May have been busted by one behind me...I was set up with 2 decoys in my woods but near the farmers field.. not one Bird in the field. This a.m. they were all in the woods. Then the black flies hit..I came in. It was much colder this a.m. and I that the flies wouldn't show up..no such luck..snow is due Wednesday maybe that will help. A bit under dressed so in for break and another layer.

Home and out in the blind. Was still pouring rain when I got home so I waited about 20 mins before heading out. Rain has pretty much stopped now. Sun is even poking out a bit. Gonna let everything stop dripping so much then hit the calls.

Good luck everyone

Dang...how far you walkin?!

I just looked at on x I am about 12 miles from my truck. Worked 3 birds passed up 2 1 got around me somehow. I am on the move again probably go another mile the troll back.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just looked at on x I am about 12 miles from my truck. Worked 3 birds passed up 2 1 got around me somehow. I am on the move again probably go another mile the troll back.

Damn!! That's a long ways in for turkey! That's cool though!
  • Like 1

Takin a breather, gonna cut cross country to the road. I have a local fishing customer that said he would come pick me up. I guess walking out at the truck at 4 pm with a gun and all the turkey gear would make a warden raise his eyebrows lol..
Oh well it was a fun morning and ended up passing up another 2 yo about 11, for 2 reasons it's only day 2 and didn't want to tag out, and more importantly I didn't want to carry him all the way out.

• Like 1

Wow what a morning. Passed on a jake and a small 2yr old. Made 5 different stalks on the same bird and had him inside of 30 yards 3 different times and no shots. I had 1 shot at him at a little over 30yds but I won't shoot one over 20. I'm muddy, soaked and tired but it was an absolute blast! He's the one I'm after and won't be hard to tell because he's missing 2 tail feathers in the middle of his fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I went to Rivers blind for a late morning hunt...got 2 hens set out and started calling...A bit later I hear a tractor lumbering up the road...I knew the second I heard it, The neighbor.. his house is on another road a 1/2 mile away and his access to his lane way is next to us...He drives up unhooks the chain gets the tractor a little ways in then does a u turn and parks. Steps into the hedge row right next to his nephews "1 acre hunting camp" and starts sawing away...sat for a while glassing his place to see what his activity might get moving. Nothing I closed up the blind went out and grabbed the decoys and brought them to the blind for tomorrow morning...It's going to be cold tonight low 30s the birds will hang low in his swamp and move up hill in the morning. I pushed a lone hen on my side hill on the way down...I believe she may be nesting there...caught this pic of a lone hen This morning( cam with bad date and now time stamp) I was hunting at the south borderline had to walk past this on way in and out...Wonder if she had any Toms around her?

PICT0006 (8).JPG

First morning g I didn't hear a gobble, thought about doing a short walk but the wind is now steady and I have tons of work backed up and working till 8,9,10pm to stay even with work and getting up at 1 or 2 am to hunt isn't as easy as it was when I was 20 something. Lol.

Didn't make it out today. Had a union contract vote/meeting at 10am. But damn was that fun. Watched 34 guys tear apart our terrible union guy. Voted down the new contract and now headed back to negotiations or we strike. I kinda hope we strike so me and the 3 other millers can go company and make a butt load more money.

But anyways....gonna get out tomorrow and see what's gobbling!

Yep that was this morning...You think maybe I should be there tomorrow?..Hen yesterday ,him today...and BTW went to Rivers blind. for last 2 hrs of season Who shows up after I start calling? you guessed it..but he left when he saw me walking away...He doesn't even hunt...lol So the blind in the picture will be where I go....

PICT0009 (3).JPG

Had to start working today at 7. Was planning on going out till then because I was going to be working at the same place I would be hunting. Alarm went off, and I wimped out. 

What was in my clients field when I pulled in at 7?  Yup, all buy himself in full strut.  Think he looked back and gave me the finger too.  

Oh well.  Hopefully Friday won't be as wet as there saying, and I can get out with a new hunter that recently joined this site.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mowin said:

Had to start working today at 7. Was planning on going out till then because I was going to be working at the same place I would be hunting. Alarm went off, and I wimped out. 

What was in my clients field when I pulled in at 7?  Yup, all buy himself in full strut.  Think he looked back and gave me the finger too.  

Oh well.  Hopefully Friday won't be as wet as there saying, and I can get out with a new hunter that recently joined this site.  

I had the same idea. Arrived at job site early to find another hunter already parked there; so I went to work. He didn't see anything.....I have been seeing birds nearby for last couple days.

10 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

I'm also a member of the "woke up but went back to bed this morning club" too.  Got out at 7:00...messed with a couple of hens. Headed back out around 10:00. Can't kill one from the couch! !!

I can kill them from the couch ! This was with my Beagle going  nuts and a guy pulling a wagon with two,kids in it 20 yards away . They're a crafty bird ....

image.jpeg

• Like 5

I had a good hunt this morning. I got started in my blind. I heard one gobbling over a knoll in the same spot they were Monday. I opted to get out of my blind and get a little closer. I got set up not far from the gobbling but couldn't see him in the tree. I did a very little calling and he was fired up. He ended up flying down about 30 yards in front of me and putting on a gobbling and strutting show. The only problem was it was a jake and I'm not interested in shooting a jake. It was fun though. He got to about 10 yards in front of me before he veered off the trail and went into the brushier stuff looking for the hen he thought I was.

• Like 4