2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

Hooked up.. Round 1030 I finally got a gobble..got prepped and called again they must have belined toward me because they were almost here... Opened my window a little and a head popped over the rise... Froze. He moved on and another head popped.. Got set and hit the firat one that came into the sights.. He flew off other one ran... Gun jammed because the end nut is stripped out. Manually reloaded and called... The runner stopped and looked like he would come in... Never showed so I stalked up to the ridge and saw him run off... Thought it was the bird I shot as he ran from where the hit one landed..... Got sad. Walked over and sure enough mine was dead.... His buddy musta circled round to beat on his body a little.

2fc08e36096c56b040d87813136039bf.jpg

8inch beard. 3/4 inch spurs. 19lbs

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

• Like 22

7 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

At 5 it was gobbles on roost. Very little soft talk before fly down or hit em when they hit the deck. Gobbles I've heard 3 days were 5:19/5:31/5:38. You were calling em still roasted imo. Birds are seriously henned up. End of month when hens go to nest longer should be better than now. Glad you got out there. Any cool songbirds ? I'm still awaiting grouse drumming and the cookoo 

Trying hard to not go into long winded replies on here these days. Let me explain better. I heard them starting to talk just before the light started to come up. I used my hat as a fly down at first light, and did some light scratching on the leaves. Waited a bit, then did some soft purrs and clucks about every half hour, for about an hour and a half. Nothing. I moved, did a couple soft purrs and got a reply. Set up and waited. A few clucks and yelps. Silence.

As for songbirds, how the hell would I know, I heard them, but they weren't my objective. I wasn't bird watching, I was turkey hunting.

EDIT: I guess I was bird watching because I was turkey hunting.

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 2

Trying hard to not go into long winded replies on here these days. Let me explain better. I heard them starting to talk just before the light started to come up. I used my hat as a fly down at first light, and did some light scratching on the leaves. Waited a bit, then did some soft purrs and clucks about every half hour, for about an hour and a half. Nothing. I moved, did a couple soft purrs and got a reply. Set up and waited. A few clucks and yelps. Silence.
As for songbirds, how the hell would I know, I heard them, but they weren't my objective. I wasn't bird watching, I was turkey hunting.

EDIT: I guess I was bird watching because I was turkey hunting.

Have a Snickers, Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

Got set up at 2:30am, I have a spot other a hedgerow that is a ditch that runs between 6 different fields. Problem is the birds roost on the hill and can see you coming for miles because you have to cross the fields to get to it. I have been wanting to try this for years. I didn't roost them but historically I'm in their bedroom and I'm hoping they forgot about the fat guy stumbling across 500yds of plowed wet clay a few hrs ago. The stick bow is at home because my bad shoulder is killing me so of course I'll have a bird at 15yds today.

Live from my dry desk at work;

Good luck to you hardy souls that are out this morning. I'm planning on my first outing tomorrow morning, rain or shine. At least that's the plan. I'll get a final confirmation on when I see what it looks like at 4:30 tomorrow morning. Hopefully I won't wimp out. I've got a couple of dry blinds to sit in, but a long walk in the rain to get to them.

In the meantime, I'll just live vicariously through you guys and gals this morning!

Well who's got a knife because I got a shirt tail that in need of being cut off. Saw the birds heading my direction so I dropped in the creek and made my way to where they were heading and got to where I was going to pop up and about 15ft from me saw a hen coming into the creek bed. Couldn't move and was in a horrible position but the ghillie suit worked and they walked right by all 7 of them followed by 2 jakes and out of no where I had a tom 5ft from me swung and boom shot right over his head and running back into the field he went. Oh well what a fun morning and I love sneaking up that close on birds!

• Like 11

I went to the garden plot blind at around 8:30...set out two hens in a wild wind but put sticks in to keep the movement limited...Called in crows...actually lots of crows not one bird...it was pouring, high winds stayed until 10a.m....went out to checked cams ...and saw nothing...sure they are hunkered down in the swamp or the several pine woods around us...checked farm filed nada..

The trees may be a tad thin on canopy this year...a blanket of seed tuffs are on the ground and stuck to everything with the leaf clusters attached. Not holding my breath on soft mast any more...not looking good and no let up in sight.

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Well who's got a knife because I got a shirt tail that in need of being cut off. Saw the birds heading my direction so I dropped in the creek and made my way to where they were heading and got to where I was going to pop up and about 15ft from me saw a hen coming into the creek bed. Couldn't move and was in a horrible position but the ghillie suit worked and they walked right by all 7 of them followed by 2 jakes and out of no where I had a tom 5ft from me swung and boom shot right over his head and running back into the field he went. Oh well what a fun morning and I love sneaking up that close on birds!

Swing and a miss for me too yesterday morning on a great bird...sucks! 

24 minutes ago, zeus1gdsm said:

After taking a bird yesterday. Knowing there is 2 more gobblers. Is it possible to go back in 2 weeks and set up in same spot and have success?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

absolutely!  You can kill or miss a bird and call them back in an hour from the same spot. No worries, have at it.

• Like 1

Hunted Tuesday with my son and nephew. Had several toms gobble repeatedly at me on Tuesday. Saw 3 but they were with hens and would only get to 75 yds. Black flies were nasty and they laughed at my thermacell. Wednesday only hunted one hour ( off to work) and had no answers, but I saw two big boys with a hen in my one of my fields as I was driving out. Probably get out again next week sometime. May be the hens will disperse and make the hunting easier. Good luck to all

Oh man that took awhile to bypass the swollen trout stream. And it's the steepest grade of the mountain We both completely overdressed. I'm soaked from sweating. Proud of daughter though with no complaints. Alls quiet so far but overcast and rainy so they might not gobble for a bit. Cmon gobbles.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Well I made the long trudge again way earlier than I wanted to. Got a good nap in after I got in here thanks to remembering my umbrella. Let's hope it's worth it because I have to get out of here early for my daughters game.

Boom stick today or stick and string ? Tip over a good one 

• Like 1

God bless you all out there. I woke to a down pour and turned off the alarm. This is suppose to be enjoyable. It's drizzling, foggy and dead calm right now. I can feel the temps dropping already.I almost feel bad for not going out and trying...to put one of them out off this miserable weather...

• Like 1

Wasn't supposed to be this windy. Hoping their little toes wrapped around branches tighter in the storm last night has them sleeping in a bit. Still quiet but snug as a bug in a rug in this cheap pop up blind as it's drizzling out still. Oh yeah , the old RR trestle with slatted RR ties was neat to cross. Reminded me of Stand by me or the really high one in Letchworth.  

• Like 2