2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

They fly down ? Henned up ?  May have to call lead hen and have her drag her bf.   Sounds like she already didn't like the new girl in town. 
Alls quiet here. 

I think they may be henned up now. Last gobble I heard was at 5:51. I tried calling her in, but nothing now. She and the other two hens were not happy at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alls still quiet. It's snowing and pretty windy so popped the golf cart heater out as nice surprise for daughter. Blind got toasty fast. No worries we have good ventilation going in blind. e442149bc7199677882a90f1aadaefb3.jpg&key=538659c4e9a32b61c7f64d2d6cd85d61fc5ffd1e188d28ddb94cf30964d05913

I'm pretty jealous, I am freezing and soaked.

• Like 1

8fa0d1881b81d08940a5fb821f8821bc.jpg
Shot half the beard off unfortunately, but it's the best turkey I ever got. He came in running after a hen that walked by maybe 30 seconds. He strutted once he stopped and once he got out of strut it was a perfect shot. No more than a 20 yard shot.

• Like 29

My quest for my first turkey didn't  gain ground today. Heard one early but that was it. Off to work now. Did see three in the field I have permission to hunt waterfowl on. At this point I could consider turkey waterfowl since the fields flooded. Right? 

• Like 2

Well I'm back in...So dark out this a.m. I had to use my lamp just to find the garden..Lol  Set out two hen decoys and at 6:15 I see a head pop up in the middle of the lane way headed straight to me...A single miserable looking hen...It poured and snowed the entire morning...she ,to my joy, hung out in the clover plot with  crow for a very long time purring and clucking ,then moved off. I did a little calling a nd hear a hen clicking and clucking with some fighting purrs . She comes in and continues her act until she realized the hens weren't interested. She settled down and was  joined by a girl friend and they hung out  purring yelping and clucking...I was stoked real calling and live decoys then they moved off  at different times in different directions. I then hear the first hen yelping up on the neighbors,so I return yelped. We did this for a while when I hear a purr come in from behind me and the side of garden fence. It's the first hen I think hard to tell they all were soaked and pretty scruffy looking....by 8:45 she wondered off and my feet were frozen. Figured with all these hens if a Tom didn't show by now he never would..packed up grabbed cam cards pulled decoys and I'm having coffee...listening to two shots from gully behind our place on neighbors.

It was a great morning fun playing with the hens, great practicing moving..I can stand up in my blind with a bird 10 yrds away..had to my  butt was screaming " Get me the fudge off this uncomfortable stool!" Ya looks like I have to do a make over on blind stools. They will get a seat made and screwed to frame...easy breezy. 

PS ..not so much clover,but there were all kinds of worms and grubs just laying on top of the ground everywhere...Looks like the rain did them in to the birds joy..even had some squirrel out there digging around and a skunk on the cams yesterday...easy pickings.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

8fa0d1881b81d08940a5fb821f8821bc.jpg
Shot half the beard off unfortunately, but it's the best turkey I ever got. He came in running after a hen that walked by maybe 30 seconds. He strutted once he stopped and once he got out of strut it was a perfect shot. No more than a 20 yard shot.

Nice job AT and you all have a lot more foliage on those trees than where I hunt...Beautiful backdrop 

• Like 1

So went out with mowin again today. Was still very quiet. Right around 8 we finally came across a tom. Got down and sat right along the natural fence between two fields. We kept calling and he kept gobbling. Took his sweet time getting to us, was a group of them so he already had some hens. Finally around 850 he came close enough to take. Happy to say I was able to finally nail my first bird and I am hooked. All the patience and waiting, wind, rain and cold were worth it. And he helped me butcher it afterwards. 9.5" beard and 1" spurs!

ac893619f3fec44177befe7a95f6a047.jpg
  • Like 18

16 minutes ago, jeff1211 said:

So went out with mowin again today. Was still very quiet. Right around 8 we finally came across a tom. Got down and sat right along the natural fence between two fields. We kept calling and he kept gobbling. Took his sweet time getting to us, was a group of them so he already had some hens. Finally around 850 he came close enough to take. Happy to say I was able to finally nail my first bird and I am hooked. All the patience and waiting, wind, rain and cold were worth it. And he helped me butcher it afterwards. 9.5" beard and 1" spurs!

ac893619f3fec44177befe7a95f6a047.jpg

Great work you guys ! 

Jeff , how excited - nervous were you ? Like heart pumping , going to wet your pants nervous ?! Every bird that gobbles you ever hear will give you that feeling. It never gets old. That's the best part. Way to tough out the weather and simply not just turn off the alarm as I'm sure a few people on here did this morning. Told daughter it's going to be lousy out but it just may be the day. No such luck but now we know and will never wonder. And so you know you probably have a 3 + year old bird there. He's a beauty. How bigs that smile you still have ? 

Congrats Jeff and really good on you mowin !! 

• Like 2

Jeff and I had to work for this guy. 

Not a single gobble until about 7:45. The sun came out, and the adjacent hillsides cam alive with gobbling.  Happen to stumble upon this guy. Walked within 80 yrds of him.  Took about an HR to get him in range. 

I was so nervous for Jeff. I was shaking like a leaf in a wind storm.. lol.  I get more nervous when I'm calling for someone, then when I'm alone.  

IMG_20170507_085504558.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Bill Schmidt said:

Reading all these posts on all 10 pages and I see that I am not the only one to miss.  Anyone here read WOEFUL WHIFFS on page 66 of the MAY/JUNE issue of TURKEY COUNTRY written by Brian Lovett?   It happens to everyone if you turkey hunt long enough LOL!

Still not over the whiff that I did on thursday...

Great work you guys ! 
Jeff , how excited - nervous were you ? Like heart pumping , going to wet your pants nervous ?! Every bird that gobbles you ever hear will give you that feeling. It never gets old. That's the best part. Way to tough out the weather and simply not just turn off the alarm as I'm sure a few people on here did this morning. Told daughter it's going to be lousy out but it just may be the day. No such luck but now we know and will never wonder. And so you know you probably have a 3 + year old bird there. He's a beauty. How bigs that smile you still have ? 
Congrats Jeff and really good on you mowin !! 

Was really nervous! Maybe not that nervous to pee my pants haha! But was fighting the cold and as he got closer my heart was racing as I knew if I took too long and he saw us I'd lose my chance. I've been so excited the rest of day. My fiancé actually blew up my spot before I could even tell anyone or post on Facebook.

• Like 2