2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

8 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

8fa0d1881b81d08940a5fb821f8821bc.jpg
Shot half the beard off unfortunately, but it's the best turkey I ever got. He came in running after a hen that walked by maybe 30 seconds. He strutted once he stopped and once he got out of strut it was a perfect shot. No more than a 20 yard shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You look like you could be related to Bizzy Boy.

• Like 3

Probably should of gotten up this morning but that rain was coming down hard at 430. Decided to catch some sleep instead.
And the fact that if I did go my right foot would of gotten soaked from the new hole in my rubber boots. With all this rain, there's no other option for footwear. Trip down to gander mountain this afternoon fixed that problem.
So I'll be out tomorrow morning with a new pair of boots that will hopefully bring me some good luck!

Congrats to everyone who shot one today!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

You look like you could be related to Bizzy Boy.

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

lol. I thought the same thing but abstained from commenting. I had it half typed in but deleted it. 

I can see where you guys would that that lol! Don't be afraid to say it next time, I would have had a nice chuckle in the blind. 

Edited by ATbuckhunter
  • Like 1

Another morning with no gobbles and no Tom's. It must be me.... Everytime I see a gobbler and put him to bed they go quiet and dissapear. Had a flock of 30 at the farm till may 1st... Hunting turkeys with no gobbling is like catching a fish that doesn't fight.. back to the grind tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get a hour or two in throughout the week.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jeff, congratulations on your first turkey! Great bird and nice job!

Mowin, huge props to you! Taking out a new hunter, calling and everything you did was absolutely awesome! Great job!

I've said it before, I'll say it again. There are some outstanding people on here!

• Like 3

So go to same spot in the morning where the girls were..or try another spot.Still have a feeling about Rivers blind..haven't done a dawn hunt there yet..neighbor should be sound asleep then..I can get a couple of hours in at least before he hears me and shows up.

Jeff, congratulations on your first turkey! Great bird and nice job!
Mowin, huge props to you! Taking out a new hunter, calling and everything you did was absolutely awesome! Great job!
I've said it before, I'll say it again. There are some outstanding people on here!

Thanks, definitely found a great community. Hopefully when I'm as knowledgeable I'll be able to do the same to a new hunter.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 9:24 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Well who's got a knife because I got a shirt tail that in need of being cut off. Saw the birds heading my direction so I dropped in the creek and made my way to where they were heading and got to where I was going to pop up and about 15ft from me saw a hen coming into the creek bed. Couldn't move and was in a horrible position but the ghillie suit worked and they walked right by all 7 of them followed by 2 jakes and out of no where I had a tom 5ft from me swung and boom shot right over his head and running back into the field he went. Oh well what a fun morning and I love sneaking up that close on birds!

On 5/5/2017 at 0:02 PM, WNY Bowhunter said:

Swing and a miss for me too yesterday morning on a great bird...sucks! 

This makes me feel a whole lot better to hear that it happens to the best of them.  I am pretty pissed at myself for missing a nice tom this morning...definitely sucks.

5 hours ago, jeff1211 said:

So went out with mowin again today. Was still very quiet. Right around 8 we finally came across a tom. Got down and sat right along the natural fence between two fields. We kept calling and he kept gobbling. Took his sweet time getting to us, was a group of them so he already had some hens. Finally around 850 he came close enough to take. Happy to say I was able to finally nail my first bird and I am hooked. All the patience and waiting, wind, rain and cold were worth it. And he helped me butcher it afterwards. 9.5" beard and 1" spurs!

ac893619f3fec44177befe7a95f6a047.jpg

5 hours ago, mowin said:

Jeff and I had to work for this guy. 

Not a single gobble until about 7:45. The sun came out, and the adjacent hillsides cam alive with gobbling.  Happen to stumble upon this guy. Walked within 80 yrds of him.  Took about an HR to get him in range. 

I was so nervous for Jeff. I was shaking like a leaf in a wind storm.. lol.  I get more nervous when I'm calling for someone, then when I'm alone.  

IMG_20170507_085504558.jpg

Congrats Jeff! That is great of you mowin, good memories for you both

Okay got a questions for you guys with infinitely more turkey experience than me. Now that I have a a nice tom down, Id like to have a bit more fun with my tactics I have a Jake decoy that i never add in fear that a tom wont like it so much, but what have your experiences been with adding male decoys with your hen decoys. Id love to have a tom come strutting in and beat the crap out of the decoy. You guys think I should add it in?

This makes me feel a whole lot better to hear that it happens to the best of them.  I am pretty pissed at myself for missing a nice tom this morning...definitely sucks.

Missing ain't that bad during turkey season. You get all the fun of the hunt a sore shoulder from the shotgun and you don't have to tote a heavy, awkward bird out of the woods and suffer through some "edible" meat. It's really best case scenario.

• Like 3

Wow i managed to find their bedroom this morning. They're gobbling all around me. If I called this would be perfect but I kind of feed pinned down.

Well have the gobblers shun their pjs and slippers , read the paper, had their coffee and ready to play ? Give one a nighty night ?

Missing ain't that bad during turkey season. You get all the fun of the hunt a sore shoulder from the shotgun and you don't have to tote a heavy, awkward bird out of the woods and suffer through some "edible" meat. It's really best case scenario.

LOL... thanks...good luck today.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lol I feel exactly the same way
  • Like 1