2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

Well, I didn't set the alarm because of the rain. Woke up to no rain, and a bird gobbling Acrost the street. First tom I've heard from my deck this yr.  Oh well.  Sitting with a glass of OJ listening to the music. 

• Like 1

Ran short on time due to Mothersday breakfast but we did see the same Tom I worked last Monday heading thru the same spot towards where we just were. He was 30 yards from the road gobbling and strutting with his hens. One of these days I'm going to have time to wait him out lol. 

Third time hunting this guy was the charm. He came very close to dying the first two times. Slipped in tight to his roosting area this morning...actually managed to set up right between him his hens. I could hear him drumming in the tree. The hens started tree talking...he flew down and came strutting into a load of mag blends @ 25 yds. Slumps over!!! On to #2. 

Even made it home in time to cook my wife a mother's day breakfast. 

2017-05-14 08.07.20.jpg

20170514_070314.jpg

• Like 19

3:30 found me heading for the shower and I was out the door and in the new spot by 4:30...Sweet! Well I pushed deer but who ever was below me had the woods singing with snorts...waited and waited not a peep then I start hearing this rhythmic timed caw,caw...Please if your trying to get them to sound off at least sound real LOL...I did some Oh so soft clucks and purrs and nothing at 6:30 I had a single young doe come in feeding and then walk straight to me ...at 10ft she would look up and stare then sniff around and look up...but then got a bit jumpy and walked off looking back over her shoulder..I have lunch in big Flats so left at 7a.m. ...pulled cards across the street nothing there either. Well raccoons rabbits and Oh on the way home glassed between me and the house..A huge grey/blk coyote trotted across our place to the hunting camp next door.

Here's a pic of grass they are all eating..Anyone know what it is?

20170514_071734_resized.jpg

20170514_071757_resized.jpg

Edited by growalot

14 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Third time hunting this guy was the charm. He came very close to dying the first two times. Slipped in tight to his roosting area this morning...actually managed to set up right between him his hens. I could hear him drumming in the tree. The hens started tree talking...he flew down and came strutting into a load of mag blends @ 25 yds. Slumps over!!! On to #2. 

Even made it home in time to cook my wife a mother's day breakfast. 

2017-05-14 08.07.20.jpg

20170514_070314.jpg

Great job and to be done before mothers breakfast is a bonus 

13 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Live from the road. Took the drug smugglers route to work. One bird was a ground dragger Serious beard. . 2474bdcc61ea66cc57f339523b8151ee.jpg1af18689bbc16c976b77c14aabf99328.jpg
More turkey ...... vultures that is enjoying a woodchucker breakfast dce3bb7b4b936d55a755c60f6acbddee.jpg7a9b99dbc29782e59909c93b32bacda5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cemetery Rd?

• Like 1

Well I went out to a new place I scouted at end of April, had to wait till the owner could go. When we scouted I saw probably 5-6 gobblers and 12 birds so I was excited to say the least. It rained off and on all morning and all I heard was some hen tree yelps, i think she busted us when I tried to move to a better set up. We never heard a single gobble. The owner tells me he hears them every morning before he goes to work, only he hasn't heard any for the last few days! UGG! We covered the whole property and nothing, I'm hoping they will be back soon. When I left he promised to call me as soon as he hears them again. Hopefully it won't be June 1st. 

• Like 2

Did some run & gun all morning nothing but two hens sat near them for an hour. Checked out a swamp I've been looking at online I'll be deer hunting that this year. Checked out a spot I had luck in last spring nothing. Back at it tomorrow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

Did some run & gun all morning nothing but two hens sat near them for an hour. Checked out a swamp I've been looking at online I'll be deer hunting that this year. Checked out a spot I had luck in last spring nothing. Back at it tomorrow. 

That's the best when you come across possibly a honey hole for deer !!!

• Like 1