2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

Had 5 gobbeling on the roost, I suspect the bigger one was the one farthest away only gobbled twice and left. Then the 4 Jakes were going crazy and came in to 50-60 yards. I decided to take one as they followed the hen away and took my shot at 50-55 yards. He hardly even flopped with the XR 6's.

Fun hunt to say the least and my first bird in 4 years as I gave it up for a couple of seasons and spent last year trying to get my boy a bird. His quest continues this weekend. 

• Like 5

Congrats to you all  what a fine morning to hunt...but the alarm was turned off..I have to go into the city to redeem last of Gander points and do a early summer stock up at Sams. To be honest the thought of fighting the bugs was just too much today..tired of living under a bug net. I even got on line and bought my self a hammock with an attached bug net...If I decide I want to relax and read a book out side this summer...It will be bug free...Good luck guys

• Like 4

Decided to take a ride before work this afternoon. Had to slow down for first Jake as he scampered across the road the second almost flew into my car. Saw a huge snapping turtle the size of a small pizza box in someone's yard heading towards pond. Now to try and catch a few native brookies fcccc8c7f1920fcee595cb4c0908c42b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

7 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Teamed up with dad this morning and called him in one of the birds he's been after. Best hunt of the year...five birds gobbling. Dad whacked him at 12 yds after he knocked the Jake deke off the stake.20170517_061419.jpg

20170517_060143.jpg

Great hunt. And a beautiful morning too.

Yep but I couldn't take it past sun rise ...Up at 3:45 but my shower took a tad longer than normal...It was so hot last night a cool shower felt so good!. Any ways grabbed wrong seat cushion on the way out and a half hour in I was miserable...by sunrise and no turkey sounds and no fly downs I had had enough...haven't heard a Gobble since last week only hens on cams lately and at 3-6 pm. I was home before Mr B left for work...thinking I will be doing late morning hunts for a while...sat 100 ft in the woods off the farmers hay field..which I think I just heard equipment in...hhhmmm cant be cutting we are due for a good storm this afternoon. This ground sitting is pretty tough on the back side and bad on the knees. Had to wear the bee head net...nothing is working on these bugs this year...I hadn't even sat down when I had a skeeter on my eye lid....lol

Edited by growalot

I went out for a late morning hunt set up in the blind I took the jake out of Zipp nada nothing . Though I now know how well a chipmunk can mimic a turkey cluck and leaf scratching...They live in the blind and  because the blind is a front side open only..... They were fooling me often directly behind me..I pulled the cam from up the hill a bit from there and had a turkey tail in one frame at 10:45am yesterday..So they are traveling the area...could have seen me come in at 9:40. Holy cow I felt like a slow rotisserie chicken, it's hot out there! Really nice breeze though...

Most fun I've had in days and I was in my bathrobe,ducking down in our hedge row... I didn't go out ,for one thing I woke At 4 with my hand and wrist in an awful lot of pain. Not the usual arthritis stuff,,it seriously hurts to move it. I was fine when I fell asleep last night. Anyways I get up and 30 mins ago pass the open porch side so window to hear a hen calling. So I called back. She's in the corn field so I sneak out calling and she's talking back. I climb into the edge row and she's  gotten closer. I can just see her  20 yrds away and she's looking for me as we both talk. I decide to go aggressive and she goes in full strutting...Lol well the black flies with getting bad and Mr B was rattling dishes and it startled her...So I backed out... We chatted for around  10 mins or so...neither of us got a Tom to answer..So I'm not the only one looking for them :wink:

I hope it was a camo bathrobe. Lol

Sounds like you have gout. Very common to go to bed with no pain only to wake up in pain. Typically, it usually attacks the big toe, or so that's what the experts say. But I get it in my wrist, knee, ankle, elbow more often than my big toe.

It's my left hand,I'm left handed, You could be right for it's the hand the dog bit part of my pinky off from. The surgeon  had to pull and stretch tendons to clean the amputation.  That caused a sort of knotting in my Palm. They say gout attacks in damaged areas. Though it's not red and only a bit swollen. Hurts like.......never mind you can guess. I Also noted a bug bite on my wrist just over a vein. I'll be keeping an eye on.

Next time it happens, have doc do a blood test for uric acid. I take alapournol (sp?) Once a day to control it.  Sea food, alcohol, and organ foods will trigger a attack.  I've had it for yrs, and the pain can be incredible. 

Actually we are on a gout type diet...Mr B has had past problems...I'm actually pretty sure it is a flair up of tendonitis.. That finger surgery really messed up my hand...I was in therapy with it for some time...It's where the biggest concentration of pain is right now. lol Couldn't have bitten it of on my non dominate hand...:rolleyes::wink:

So I went to the blind I built the other day to switch cards...woods are tore up again...no bird on cam but hen droppings in litter and this....That's a creepy eye shot...lol...

PICT0001 (19).JPG

• Like 1

Congrats nice Bird!

Well the guy next door is back again so I will be out back setting up in t h e New blind . Over the scratched up area and between the usual ,hopefully presently occupied roost trees. So glad it's gotten cold again. Low 40's tonight. He was weed whacking allover today so hopefully he's pushed the turkey to our place,now if he can avoid spooky the deer...

• Like 1