2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

45 minutes ago, mpavlus said:

Had a bird gobble from his roost last night. He gobbled alot this morning. Grass was so tall I had to snip off some old corn stalks and put my decoys on them. It worked. I heard him fly down. When he came out into the field he spotted my decoys and came straight towards them. First time in three weekends he didn't have a hen with him. Perfect weather and awesome hunt.

IMG_20170520_105103.jpg

45 minutes ago, mpavlus said:

Had a bird gobble from his roost last night. He gobbled alot this morning. Grass was so tall I had to snip off some old corn stalks and put my decoys on them. It worked. I heard him fly down. When he came out into the field he spotted my decoys and came straight towards them. First time in three weekends he didn't have a hen with him. Perfect weather and awesome hunt.

IMG_20170520_105103.jpg

I also used a handmade box call that has never been on a hunt before. It did the trick 

IMG_20170520_080654470_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Had a nice 1.5 year old come in lookin' for love this morning.

Other than that.., nothin' else shakin'.

Sis is calling it quits for the spring. We'll try again this fall.

Good luck to everyone still chasing them, and congrats to all who have connected!

DSC_0025.JPG

• Like 6

My son told me it was his best hunt ever which made me reconsider my frustration of not getting him one. He said it was a combination of the Toms, stalking the hen and the over all scenery that put it at the top of his young list. That made me smile and it put things into perspective for me. 

That's what it's all about. Yes we'd like to take a bird home with us , it sometimes gets frustrating being oh so close but at the end of the day it's everything else we see and interact with in the spring woods that makes it surreal at times. Kudos to your son for grasping that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I got out this morning, busted 2 birds on the way up the hill. sat down and had 2 more gobbling for about a half hour. then nothing, I assumed they went down to the open fields as it was raining(again) I thought it was supposed to be a nice day? We went down to check the fields and found 5 jakes, 1 LB, and a hen! Cut the distance and was able to do a stalk towards them but I must have got busted as when i got to where i should have had a shot they where gone!

Only my third time in the woods this season, but I hope to make it out at least three more times.  Actually, even less would be nice!  No gobbles at all today, just a lonely hen in the field for a bit.  I was moving to another spot and busted a hen off her nest 6 feet from me, scared the crap out of me!  First time I have run across a nesting hen.20170520_074246.jpg

Edited by Otto
  • Like 10

Headed to southern tier to run and gun. Hoping to finally get an opportunity and punch a tag !!! Working on my second bird-less season. My oh my how having kids affects available time in the woods... After it early.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

No go for me and my aching back, pulled a muscle getting my mower unstuck the other day and with out my son to go I ain't so motivated to push myself. 

Id like to thank my wife for making me move 250 pounds of chicken feed and 9 bags of mulch after I told her I hurt. Lol 

What a morning..  ended up being just me and Jeff.  We had birds going all morning.  Let's just say Jeff has experienced the highs and lows of trukey hunting.  Lol 

I'll post the highlights a little later.  

• Like 2

Reporting for sodfather as he has a hot gobbler behind him looking for him . I'm awaiting " LB down" text. He was working a jake and a couple of hens and fox ran thru them and they started to meander away. That's when the gobbler ripped for the first time in behind him.

Hope he got it...

I sat down to an early lunch ,11:30, next thing I know I hear what I thought was a faint gobble...then  5 mins later much clearer behind the house..very breezy... I quick ran down the trail facing hunting camp...He must have left when the thunder and raIn came through at 9: 30. I still have a chance!

Ok.  Finally got a chance to tell you all about our morning.  Jeff and I set up against the same tree as I did with my grandnephew Kayden for youth season.

A lone tom gobbled on roost about 125 yrds out.  He few down about 5:25. Was 25 yrs from us by 5:30. The field was so tall he could only see his head and neck. Now being more experienced, I'd have that bird flopping. But, I have to give Jeff a kudos. He was unsure, and held off. 

Set up #2.

Moved about a 1/3 mile to another field. The tall grass saved us, as we got within 20 yrs of the field, and I spotted a tail fan 80 yrds out. A few call and a bunch of gobbles, and within 3 minutes there were 4 toms 30 yrds away. Jeff, swing and a miss.  

Set up #3.

We headed to another and on the way spotted a nice tom on a neighboring property.  Got set up next field over, and started calling. He cut me off, and was coming in quick. But instead of crossing through a 15' hedge row, he decided to come in through the swamp behind us. He was just out of sight spitting and drumming within 10 yrs. Now Jeff is a lefty, and there was know way he could swing in that direction. I could however, and when his head popped up 6 yrs away in the thickness crap on the farm, I was ready.  Ok, we're on the board. 

Set up # 4. 

There's a big pile of sheep manuer that the birds love to scratch in for bugs. Gave a few calls and got multiple gobbles in response.  They wouldn't commit. Decided to sneak up on them as there's several old round bales on the edge of the field. As we peaked over the bales, there were tow tom's in strut and a couple others about 35-40 yrds away. Got Jeff in place and he shot when the tom was in half strut facing us. Another miss.  

We patterned his gun, and it's maybe a smidge to the right at 30 yrds, but a great tight pattern. 

Chalking up his misses to excitement. 

All in all it was a great morning. Called in 10 toms within range on 4 different setups. Birds were eager to respond and come looking. I'm tagged out, but will probably call for Jeff and my nephew next weekend. 

My bird was 23#, 9 1/4 beard, 1 1/8 Spurs. 

IMG_20170521_071908275.jpg

IMG_20170521_063438220.jpg

Edited by mowin
  • Like 12

I went back to Farmersville today, went to the same spot that I worked some birds yesterday and nothing. The birds are not there! It was quite windy but if there were any birds in the same area I should have at least heard them. I ended up runnin and gunnin right up till noon and only saw 1 lone hen. Hard to believe the birds have moved on, to where i have no idea. That's turkey huntn for ya!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

I went back to Farmersville today, went to the same spot that I worked some birds yesterday and nothing. The birds are not there! It was quite windy but if there were any birds in the same area I should have at least heard them. I ended up runnin and gunnin right up till noon and only saw 1 lone hen. Hard to believe the birds have moved on, to where i have no idea. That's turkey huntn for ya!

na, them birds are there. They just weren't in the talking mood today. Samantha and I heard nary a peep yesterday. I know for sure there's 2 LB's, 10 jakes and a pile of hens. Didn't even see a deer yesterday though either.

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

mowin, where's the rest of that birds wing ?

sounds like you and Jeff had some fun , that's for sure.

It's there.  It a optical illusion lol.  At 6 yrds, there was nothing hit but his head. It wasn't pretty. That's all I could see as he was coming up a hill.  He did some serious flopping downhill for prob 20 yrds.  Sure those wing feathers got bent up then. 

Edited by mowin

Just getting a chance now to post but went out this morning late after the rain around 9 sat down to 2 hens and Jake 300 yards from me then had a gobble behind me, sat some more. Nothing but another story to tell..Will try 1 more time before season stops..