2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

Starting to think it's just me.... I'm working on my second bird-less season. Last year, no gobbles, except one that only commited till 60 yrds and ran when he saw the henn decoy. This year basically no gobbles, only on the roost. Went from seeing 5+ LBs at the farm to one or two lone hens as of may 1. Been all over the place and maybe I'm being pessimistic but everybody seems to be hearing and talking with birds.... What gives !!? I know we have alot of predators in our area but I feel that a hot Tom won't shut up no matter what. Please, someone else join me in the misery...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, mowin said:

Ok.  Finally got a chance to tell you all about our morning.  Jeff and I set up against the same tree as I did with my grandnephew Kayden for youth season.

A lone tom gobbled on roost about 125 yrds out.  He few down about 5:25. Was 25 yrs from us by 5:30. The field was so tall he could only see his head and neck. Now being more experienced, I'd have that bird flopping. But, I have to give Jeff a kudos. He was unsure, and held off. 

Set up #2.

Moved about a 1/3 mile to another field. The tall grass saved us, as we got within 20 yrs of the field, and I spotted a tail fan 80 yrds out. A few call and a bunch of gobbles, and within 3 minutes there were 4 toms 30 yrds away. Jeff, swing and a miss.  

Set up #3.

We headed to another and on the way spotted a nice tom on a neighboring property.  Got set up next field over, and started calling. He cut me off, and was coming in quick. But instead of crossing through a 15' hedge row, he decided to come in through the swamp behind us. He was just out of sight spitting and drumming within 10 yrs. Now Jeff is a lefty, and there was know way he could swing in that direction. I could however, and when his head popped up 6 yrs away in the thickness crap on the farm, I was ready.  Ok, we're on the board. 

Set up # 4. 

There's a big pile of sheep manuer that the birds love to scratch in for bugs. Gave a few calls and got multiple gobbles in response.  They wouldn't commit. Decided to sneak up on them as there's several old round bales on the edge of the field. As we peaked over the bales, there were tow tom's in strut and a couple others about 35-40 yrds away. Got Jeff in place and he shot when the tom was in half strut facing us. Another miss.  

We patterned his gun, and it's maybe a smidge to the right at 30 yrds, but a great tight pattern. 

Chalking up his misses to excitement. 

All in all it was a great morning. Called in 10 toms within range on 4 different setups. Birds were eager to respond and come looking. I'm tagged out, but will probably call for Jeff and my nephew next weekend. 

My bird was 23#, 9 1/4 beard, 1 1/8 Spurs. 

IMG_20170521_071908275.jpg

IMG_20170521_063438220.jpg

Dang, awesome day for sure. Eastern NY seems to be the place to be for turkey hunting in the state. 

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 2

Congrats to those who gave the toms a final headache today.

I only got a few hours today. Set up where I had heard a gobble or two a couple weeks ago. Not a peep in the dark. Just after the sky started to brighten I tried a few soft purrs and clucks. Nothing. Went on like that for two hours.

Boys getting a break today,windy rainy and they had a bunch of people chasing them around this weekend...sitting here listening for gobbles..I hear at least one hen...I think she may have lost a nest...I notice that about now They end up with one or two single girls walking around calling a lot. Where they normally are pretty quiet. Leads me to believe they are eggless hens starting again. May be wrong,good a theory as any :wink:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, reeltime said:

Going to try something different I've never done this live in the woods while after a bird but my number one target bird just hammered me 150 yards out he has a hen with him also.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

16 minutes to get him...

14 minutes ago, reeltime said:

Game OVER!!!! Just happened. Dang this is bitter sweet. 3 years of chasing him. Haven't even walked to him yet. Never felt like this after killing a bird before.

Congrats. Soak it all in, that's one of the best parts.

OK this is bitter sweet..I decided to go out after all, the Tom had gobbled behind the house yesterday at 11:25 so what the hey..Half way there ,no rain gear on, the skies open up...I ducked into the chicken coop blind to see if it would ease up and it did...9:30 I'm settled in against a wet tree, on wet ground , in wet clothes, getting rained on...10: 30 It had eased up and I thought what the heck and I threw the kitchen sink and all the pipes out there...They should have been able to hear me in Geneseo. Just as I finished I hear down below me a hen let loose. Holy Moly she was hot!! We dueled, as she ran up the hill and her head and waddle were dang near as red as a Toms. She was wailing at me then saw my feeding hen. This had her putting, purring, and cutting nearly all at once and she lowered her wings stretched out her neck and did a side stepping scoot to it. OMG I wish I had talent at filming.. Though I was pinning my self so tight to the trees I was giving my self a head ache. I didn't want to get busted like the other day. I had put on my mask and then added black eye shadow around my eyes and black lip stick to hide all my features before I went out..it worked...she bumped the decoy then headed my way. All and all I got her to circle me 3 x's and within 2-3 ft of me 2x's. Our fight went on from 10:30 until she finally went over the ridge at 11:25. I couple of series had me light headed but I held my own against her...I waited and no Toms showed. At 12pm I stood up and she let loose from where she'd come from originally...I quickly left before she made it back up the hill...That's the sweet.

Now the bitter...I pulled cards on cams, her front passes weren't caught..did get a deer from last night...Then went over to check other cams when I got home...I hit the goat barn and I hear him...Toms make a distinct alarm sound...I know the date is off..but I also know last check and day to night and this was the last picture in the series..yep that was this morning ...So I know where the 2 Toms I have been hunting were...Right now...I hate trail cameras...:mda:

BTW ..I'm going to say it...I'm one heck of a talented caller....

may 22 2017 toms.JPG

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

So guys what to do? Go to the clover field blind,down to the May 1 blind,saw the birds in the area when I left the house to do errands. Then there is the slot I was in today and I know they have rooted in the past..

Anywhere but bed will do...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks that was the plan..just wondered if anyone had an opinion on what these boys might do...continue coming into the clover with those 3 hens or go back to the wood lot hens I encountered today and they had bred earlier.

Turkeys will be turkeys. You chose one spot , they'll chose the other. Just when you think you got em figured out they throw you a curve. Good luck this morning ion your choice. Thump a big one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting across the Valley from where I killed the bird yesterday scouting for next year. Foggy and listening to someone on a slate call.....smh still pitch black out and you got smoke rolling off the call.

• Like 2

Sodfather and I trying to get him to shoot his elusive gobbler from other day " in the face " as Pygmy would say. Nice morning. Flushed a woodcock , bumped a few deer and found 2 trees not clad in poison ivy. Have the dual calling field edge scenario with me 25 yards behind into hardwoods. f37366329f87438aff1bb302e71898bb.jpg

• Like 3

Just had a buck walk by at 5 yards, I want to see him when he is done growing and out of velvet. His bases look like the ends of a baseball bat! 12 different birds gobbling and had a hen walk by earlier.

Just had a buck walk by at 5 yards, I want to see him when he is done growing and out of velvet. His bases look like the ends of a baseball bat! 12 different birds gobbling and had a hen walk by earlier.

Can you send some of those gobblers this way please ?! All quiet here.