2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

TF.... You were right...I went to where the birds got caught on cam as I hunted them over a 1/4 mile away yesterday. at 5:30 I hear a faint gobble...first in days and I realize they are down the hill and where I hunted opening day...I was really hoping to get some hens interested in coming up the hill to feed but all that showed was this one. She apparently didn't find the clover nor the worms the crows were pulling out of the ground interesting enough and she left pretty quickly. 4:15 until 8am.. that's all my back and bladder could handle...lol will be going out in just a little bit and hopefully sneak in and have them show up late..Should have known...that's the area I saw them in yesterday afternoon...the oaks are great roost trees there...

20170523_071655_resized.jpg

IMG_2201.JPGIMG_2203.JPG

Had a good hunt this morning. Called 5 jakes in but couldn't make out a beard then when I did they were too close together. After 5 minutes of that game they walked off on their way. I waited another 5-6 minutes after they were out of sight then twisted around to the direction they went. Pulled out the slate call and made a few yelps & purrs.  30 seconds later here they come........they milled around for a few minutes then spread out so I could kill one.  This guys beard was showing as his Scotch Tape that held it down must have come off.   

Killed him at about 30 yards with the Heavyweight 5,6 and 7 blended load. The new Burris FF 3 worked great. 

• Like 14

Congrats Lawd..

Well mind change again and went out again 10 :30 I let loose and got a gobble. He was on the far west end of the ridge above that opening day blind. We talked a while and he was getting closer and I was quiet until the next real close gobble and did some clucks and a soft yelp...basically what I've been hearing the girls do. Then what he did was stay just on the low side of ridge away from me and paced the area parallel to me. he wouldn't come up and over. then I heard him gobbling in our woods across the street...at 12 I started to leave and hadn't he made a large loop around the side hill and was right back on the ridge again...I heard him gobbling as I walked down the drive. I believe headed for the plot ...I pulled all cards when I left so I won't know...Had a big yote on cams but forgot to copy after resizing, dummkopf.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Had no choice in for early morning.. between the hunts and bouncing around on th lawn track to for 2 hrs yesterday my lower back had me flipping around in bed like a fish on the shore. There was no getting comfortable. Mr B this a.m. " Wow you look rough!" Gee there's the cherry on top...lol

Edited by growalot

They finally opened up long after hitting the ground. I see 8 strutters across the Valley from me and have 2 hens and a longbeard out in front of me.

Crappy cell pic but caught him mid gobble.
a96c482ed110ea15145fa4ffef71d467.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

Hit the local roost at 5am with the owl. NADA. Drove an hour to southerntier. Walked a few miles. NADA. Still hopeful to score a late season bird. Just with they would make some noise at some point !!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I've had zero luck in years getting shock gobbles with crow call or owl hooter.  Brother has 2 adult toms in the woods behind his house. Sitting on his porch at go time he heard zero gobbles yesterday and 1 this morning. Man, they're tight lipped. Just gotta catch em on a day they feel like talking.

So went out late again...they aren't gobbling until 10:30 -11...sat in a very old brush blind with a boat seat in it ..very comfy. This is just below the ridge top(65ft) and 75-80 feet before the hill drops again to the oak flats where the opener blind is and directly across from that blind. Nothing, so I finally got up and called my way to the mid woods cam ,there's a dog house blind there I switch cards(just a very bagged up, huge bellied doe and I walked by). A gobble filled the air down past River lane way blind in the neighbors swamp...I quick got settle in the dog house and did a few cackles and yelps then a little purring ..he gobbled again a bit closer so I shut up...What do I hear next...want to guess? SOB he started that tractor and I swear he should have blown the engine on that old thing as fast as he was running it down the road and up that steep hill.  The engine was just roaring that was at 11:15.. he got to the lane way at 11:30 pulled half way down and parked...nothing, no loading, no sawing, nothing. I kid you not ,my watch 11:59 he starts it back up and leaves...It is so ridiculously petty, no one hunts turkey there, no one, it actually makes me laugh. So I get to the top of the hill at the new plot and a gobble sounds in the other neighbors pine plantation...then to the garden and I hear the Tom I was after gobbling as he's coming up the hill... Oh well tomorrow is another day...It was such a gorgeous morning out there with that warm breeze and somewhat fewer black flies how could I be irritated:wink:

I've had zero luck in years getting shock gobbles with crow call or owl hooter.  Brother has 2 adult toms in the woods behind his house. Sitting on his porch at go time he heard zero gobbles yesterday and 1 this morning. Man, they're tight lipped. Just gotta catch em on a day they feel like talking.

I've had the opposite luck. Always seem to get them talking with the hoot or the crow after dawn. The only Tom that talks around me is on the roost and he will gobble to every hoot

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Me too. I use my crow call on nearly every hunt and always get responses if birds are in the area. 

On 5/22/2017 at 11:29 AM, reeltime said:

Going to try something different I've never done this live in the woods while after a bird but my number one target bird just hammered me 150 yards out he has a hen with him also.

16 minutes to get him...

I went out today back to Little Valley, I didn't hear a gobble at first light. I went to my blind as they have been coming to the field at some point. I had 1 lone hen come in and I hit her with some soft clucks and purrs she made her way over to the deeks. Still no gobbling so I went to find 1. Walked right up to 11:15 and boom I get a gobble, sounds like he's in the woods right behind my blind! I closed the gap and call....boom, game on. I got up and walked out at noon, never heard another gobble. I don't know what happened? But I'm sure i f...ed up some how? Took down the blind as I don't think I will be getting back there this season. I'm not done but it will not be there. I may go to Marilla this weekend, I haven't hunted there all season.

Another morning of scouting and of course it's pouring rain..... before I left I thought this may be a bad omen......
When it's raining so hard frogs are seaking cover.....
990be182324a29b9551866045cfb015f.jpg

This guy was hanging out on my porch ceiling at camp before I left for the woods.

• Like 2