2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

Well the weather got me again... unlike TF no go in lightening...daughter and I had a close call on a storm that came in too fast and we were berry picking...I felt the hair on me rise and I let out a scream for Mr B... he hopped in the truck and drove through the field to get us...we hit the road and heard the kaboom and the cracking...We all went to the basement that day and Bear our shepherd was the first on the steps down.  The tree we were near, a tall bass wood  was hit and literally blew up..Lightening in these high hills is no joke.

Anyways it cleared and I went to the garden blind...hens tend to go there when rains about and yes cam caught one before I got there at 8:15. set out a feeder hen and my jake...nothing, at 10:30 I decided to go pull the cam on new plot.Why of course half way there I hear a gobble but think it's across gully and over ridge. I still have my blk hoodie ,camo pants and face mask I took my gun just in case...I step around the brush pile fence into the plot and gobble...down near farm field in gully area...I froze scanning but brush is too thick. so I duck and tuck up in a group of trees against the fence.. I sat there with a soaked fanny until 11:15 not another peep with my soft clucks and low yelps... 

He was exactly down in the area that I had planned on going this morning but the rain and lightening had me in the house... I will have my fanny firmly planted against an oak tree at the low edge of the gully tomorrow morning. I will have a new fan on my jake  and a hen or two and a dang good cushion to keep me still...with the thermacell cranking. Fore cast  for tomorrow:

3:00 am 56 °F 55 °F 51 °F 84% Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy     5 mph S 37% 29.96in
4:00 am 55 °F 55 °F 51 °F 85% Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy     5 mph SSW 37% 29.96in
5:00 am 55 °F 54 °F 51 °F 86% Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy     5 mph SSW 36% 29.96in
6:00 am 55 °F 54 °F 50 °F 84% Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy 15% 0 in 5 mph S 35% 29.97in
7:00 am 56 °F 56 °F 51 °F 82% Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy 15% 0 in 5 mph S 32% 29.97in
8:00 am 60 °F 60 °F 52 °F 75% Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy 15% 0 in 6 mph SSW 33% 29.97in
9:00 am 63 °F 63 °F 53 °F 68% Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy 15% 0 in 8 mph SSW 36% 29.96in
10:00 am 67 °F 67 °F 51 °F 56% Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy 15% 0 in 9 mph SW 46% 29.95in
11:00 am 69 °F 69 °F 49 °F 50% Chance of a Thunderstorm Chance of a Thunderstorm 39% 0.01 in 12 mph WSW 50% 29.95in
12:00 pm 69 °F 69 °F 49 °F 47% Chance of a Thunderstorm Chance of a Thunderstorm 47% 0.02 in 11 mph WSW 50% 29.94in

Edited by growalot

I went back to Little Valley drove through a t -storm last night on way down and was woke up this morning at 3 by another t -storm. I heard 1 gobble at 5:15 way to west on neighbors property. So I sat it out in the blind on a field that they frequent. Had a hen show up at 6:30 another at 7. they stayed for over an hour not any gobbling to be heard. Sat right till noon, nothing. Today was going to be my last day but I may just call in tomorrow, WTH I gotta at least work 1.

• Like 4

We had decided to bag it, we both have to work today, and on our way out from the truck we spotted four jakes in the back corner of a field above our property. I said "what do you think?" and Jay said "Are you freaking serious let's give it a go!" So we swung around and parked. We went in light and walked to the back of the property to just below the field they were in. Turkeyfeathers sweet talked them just a little bit and did some scratching. We had a hen yelping above us and then she did a loop around to below us. A few minutes and just a few soft purrs later all four jakes walked right into my lap! The shot was just about ten yards. 32lbs, 1.75" spurs (that's all four birds combined)3d9f2dfcbe3a6bbad55c1d4e1656ad39.jpg

Awesome calling job TF, and my first May 31 bird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 14

Awesome day this morning. Clear skies , no wind, neat woods. Always fun to be out there on the last day and enjoying new scenery to boot. Fun hunt with The Real TC. Nice shooting Tex. Bang , flop or lack of much flop. 2ada984a52ff20aa7117f7ee655625df.jpg
Lafern 57a1333566f9f71af194abdca66c7be7.jpg
Shirley ? 65b9e25a05ba2e42386d6385d3fb8aee.jpg
Thought we'd see some action in tilled fields

It's tough knowing it's over til next May. Saw neat things in the woods , watched the sun rise , listened to the songbirds sing , found morels , shared hunts with 3 different friends and daughter. Killed a nice bird. That's what it's all about.

• Like 6

Congrats guys nice birds great hunts....:good:

I did as I said and it was a gorgeous morning...set out jake with new fan and feeder hen ...a billion crows all screaming overhead in the beech...must be their roost area as well. At 6a.m. I caught one fly down to my side but they went to the gully behind me. Then had deer running all over...next thing I know I hear baying coming up out of the gully on the neighbors place 3 doe run by and then a barrel of a yellow lab hot on them ...the baying is still coming out of the gully when a black and tan,so fat I thought it was a Burmese,appeared whining and howling..I was fit to be tied ..Up at 3:30 for this!...Well he was going to pass me so I lead him and shot the dirt about 10 ft in front of him...he didn't even break stride but it shut him up....Then they must have circled back around off us to the farmers field in the direction they came from and the hound had to have gotten something for he let loose like he had a coon treed out in the WW field...they were there for the next 45 mins...had to have been a fawn...they were too fat to catch the deer. So much for this hunt..I sat tight had a grey squirrel sit on my shoulder a bit...then a red climbed down my barrel to peek at me and run..greys ran around the oak above my head. Then a raccoon walked past and climbed the tree my wooden stand is in...but couldn't get past the platform edge climbed down and disappeared. Just a moment later on the other side of that tree I hear her come off the limb... A hen was directly in front of me and flew down dropping 20yrds to my front...It was 8am...over sleep much...lol between the dogs and my shot I'm surprised  she dropped down at all...she hung out just a little bit then headed for her nest...hhhmmm direction that coon came from. I wasn't going to give up ...but no gobbling today and just faint hens ...Thought I heard a commotion down by opening day blind but the crows were just screaming today..actually as I type...they still are. The dogs finally left the neighbors field then woods and I heard them whining and barking back at their place the next road over and road down the hill...hoping I scared the one enough to stay clear of our place at least...I believe it's the people who's husband died hunting last fall...I'll let it go for now.. :mda:Oh well there is still fall and they'll be even fatter....It was rough and luck wasn't on my side though I had some fantastic hunts and good times...

turkey...1

Chris....1

• Like 1

TF was that ground pine I saw in your picture? That is considered rare in NY, has a listing as  protected and EV . which I don't know why but we have it too.

I've never noticed them in the woods before so I took a quick pic. Nice ID grow.
And we were hoping to stumble on a new fawn in the ferns

• Like 2

Ground pine looks very similar to he crow's foot we use to harvest for Christmas greenery (wreaths's, vases with winterberry cuttings) on the now defunct family farm.

I know of three park lands that have the stuff growing in it, one in Rockland county in a passive county park, and 2 places in Orange county.

My turkey season ended on Saturday just like deer season did - invaders on motorized vehicles.  A side-by-side and 6 motor bikes this time.  The previous weekend I had a single rider on a motor bike in Sterling Forest where they are banned too.

The motor bikes literally rode around me in a circle on the woods road in the state forest I was in.  They didn't seem surprised to see me wearing full camo, face mask, vest with a decoy, and carrying my gun.  After they pulled away and I could hear again, I made a phone call and DEC met me in the parking lot 20 minutes later.

Two of the riders were doing wheelie's while going up hill.  At least they were wearing riding gear and helmets.  Not sure if they got caught, but that DEC officer high-tailed it to the other side of the forest to check the gate and to try to catch them.

• Like 2

Congrats on the last day birds, guys....I was out there, but heard NADA..
Always a relief when gobbler season is over..Now I can concentrate on catching some FISH !!

Daughter and I all ready to fish Lake Erie for smallies on friends bass boat. We got out there late last season. 30 fish a person sounds good to me. Bass thumb ! And an early alarm is 4:30 not 3 am to boot.

• Like 1