2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

Had a crap load gobbling this morning. 6-8 to our left, and two off too our right.  Prob 15 hens.  Everyone went the other way

Around 7:30 had a hen walk by.  

Circled around and we're sitting at the edge of a field watching a few hens.  The boys are tight lipped, and know where to be found.  

• Like 1

My nephew and I just had a close call with a great looking Tom. The Tom froze up at about 65 yards and I couldn't get him any closer, then he lost interest. Still fun to hear the nephew breathing heavy due to the excitement! Good luck to everyone out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

We were in at 5:30 hit three set ups didn't hear a single gobble all morning. Saw birds in each set up but just couldn't close the deal. Cold, cloudy and a bit windy. Not the best weather or hunt but we had a bunch of laughs! We each had a tick on us too. So a shower, a short nap, then off to the ball field for his first game! I'll admit to not being the best turkey hunter. But hoping we can get it done tomorrow. He was ready today though.20170422_092936.jpg

• Like 6

Figured we had one in the pot.. but this Tom didn't read the rule book. 

Had 3 hen with him. I started copying the one hen and in minutes had her pissed off.  She came in looking for a fight. Strutted next to the hen deek, ( Only 2nd time I've ever seen this in 30+ yrs of turkey hunting), and brushed up against it knocking it over.  She hung around for 10 min, but the Tom never followed.   

We'll give em hell tomorrow morning.

Congrats to all the successful hunters and their mentors. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Grampy how much deer sign is in that tag alder area? I love that type of cover!

About 40 yards up from this spot was tore up pretty good. Over the years we've taken a number of decent bucks in this area. The turkeys use this area a good bit too. As it borders a couple large hay fields.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1