2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

10 hours ago, growalot said:

No hunting for me this morning.turned alarm off. I'm having a hard enough time trying to hold my cup of coffee let alone a gun...weather change is coming..my arthritis is pretty angry right now.

I about broke the alarm this morning because I beat the thing trying to shut it off.  I'll attempt to get up tomorrow morning, but I'm not to optimistic. 

• Like 1

I've been setting my alarm for a few days then shutting it off to keep sleeping. Not tomorrow! I'm heading out with a buddy for a hunt on his farm. Last year we went and I blew it on a nice Tom. Hopefully I can redeem myself this year.

48 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Today seems like a perfect day to hunt. No wind , mild temp, slightly overcast. Someone's going to kill a bird on here today. Who's it going to be ?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not me.  I glad there's no law against alarm clock abuse. 

Good luck everyone.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Today seems like a perfect day to hunt. No wind , mild temp, slightly overcast. Someone's going to kill a bird on here today. Who's it going to be ?!

Not me got another 14 hr day of work ahead of me.. Damm I wish I was rich, good luck all .

Went out Wednesday evening to try to roost 1, bumped a bird off the roost. I didn't hear any but the woods is scratched up! I set up my blind on the field edge for the morning. Went out in the morning set up near where i busted the bird nothing not a peep. It started to rain about 6 so headed to the blind.  I thought it was supposed to be a nice day? it rained on and off all morning and it was windy. I called in 3 jakes and passed a shot, I screwed with them and had them gobbling real good. called them back in an hour later, saw another group below me cross the field so I got up and tried to get ahead of them, no luck it started to rain harder so i gave up. Hope to get out Saturday, got to find where the adult birds are.

What was up with that moon this morning...It was like a giant spot light on my back all the way in!...I can't believe I spooked so many deer and not one snorted..unfortunately they moved in front of me and to the ridge brush blind...Not wanting to completely mess up the hunt between the moon spotting me and the deer I made a beeline for the CBB. and of course right where they were before the Toms started sounding off 15 or so mins. later...they stayed on roost until about 5:30 . This because 3 mins. before that I look to my right, having gotten my gun into position and see two hens strolling past at ten yrds headed straight for them..I tried stopping them and that lasted about a minute.

Here is the insult...those boys didn't fly down they dropped out of their respective trees and landed,wait for it, 2ft in front of the ridge blind and I had to watch while the 2 of them stayed in for fan strut and then the one bred both hens and they all went DOWN Hill. They, in all these years, never go down hill. They either come up hill or across the hill . So I watched that Bigger Tom pound the first hen for 10 mins straight...now I know about calling and roosting and feed and travel(usually) but not breeding...That seemed like a real long time ...I wasn't sure I'd see her get back up from under him! Ya I had the watch on and timed it... the second hen was a couple of mins. After those hens looked to see what had been calling  and then went straight to the new neighbors place and after strutting that ridge for another several mins those boys followed. Last Gobbles had them again down in his pines headed across to our place.

So hear is my problem...I went to check that path and blind...saw where he bred the hens right in front of the opening...and checked for the roost trees...10-15 yrds from the blind. This no way, in a full moon, has me getting even close to it without being seen. The property there is so narrow I can't even get to the edge of the property line to cut them off from leaving ,with out being seen and definitely heard. Then the fact the deer are all feeding in there every morning.

Well potty break and whine session over head across the street for a bit.

So I get the kids on the bus come inside and there's a flock in my field. I throw my camo on and sneak around through the woods. I'm set up about 100 yards into the woods off the field. Ive called and gotten no response. It's killing me not knowing if they are still in the field...

Edited by Gencountyzeek

30 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

So I get the kids on the bus come inside and there's a flock in my field. I throw my camo on and look around through the woods. I'm set up about 100 yards into the woods off the field. Ive called and gotten no response. It's killing me not knowing if they are still in the field...

sit tight, call soft every 15 minutes   Clucks and purrs ( I'm not much of a yelp guy)  Make em come looking for ya 

• Like 1

Frustrating morning. Took the day off of work, best weather of the 3 days I've been out by far. Whole flock of birds in the field but on the other side. Only 2 gobbles, all hened up and giving no cares about me. Got their attention with a gobble but still not enough for a visit. So 530 -830 I glass and call at birds 100 yards away. Get up to move when they disappear and jump them on the other side of the hedgerow 10 yards from me . Now sitting in another headgerow being destroyed by black flies.

Wow ...Sorry for the sentence run on the post above. I was in a hurry, wanting to get back out there. Here I am, no bird. I tried a couple of spots, glassing as I went...My bug /bee netting over my hat....I just can't believe these black flies. I also can't believe the amount of deer tracks. a few huge sets...Some pretty tiny tiny ones and a lot of doe. We also have so many new song birds on the place...I noticed that the cardinals are using the brush fences and I allowed a bathroom sized wild rose bush to live.  After more than 20 years it died last year and I left it alone...I believe the rabbits living in it girdled it . Now the cardinals are nesting along with a few other birds I'll have to look up wht. breast blk. and wht wings and tail with yellow shoulders and I think some yellow on back...smaller than a Robin..pretty bird. Alas not a turkey...

• Like 2

So I get the kids on the bus come inside and there's a flock in my field. I throw my camo on and sneak around through the woods. I'm set up about 100 yards into the woods off the field. Ive called and gotten no response. It's killing me not knowing if they are still in the field...

Sneak up and go get them!

59% chance of rain tomorrow morning...Do I suck it up and use the cloud cover and the wet leafs to my advantage and try getting to the brush blind unnoticed? The trail is pretty clean. I haven't sat there, so not sure how well my knees will due...It may end up " Help I'm sitting in my brush blind and can't get back up!"...lol They are so dang close I will be sitting in my rain suit on the ground for at least 45 mins against a tree that will have rain pouring down the trunk...longer if they had a rough nite. Think it's doable? If the guys next door decide to hunt I could loose my chance at both...