2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

2 hours ago, Bill Schmidt said:

YOUNG GOBBLER DOWN--YOUNG GOBBLER DOWN!!! 

Well good members, my turkey hunting slump is OVER! This young tom was taken with my woodsmanship skills and knowledge of a fav hiking trail. A light rain this morning and I walked some hardwoods where I know gobblers have roosted last Spring. Over 1 mile to get back here and I had 2 double slates with me. A chestnut one and one of black walnut. No answer to either one and I had just enough time to stroke out some yelps before they got wet. Next, I brought out my sweet clucker wingbone. A gobbling reply to that wingbone!! They were moving away though and I thought for sure a hen was leading her gobbler away from me. I had to work my way back up to the field and get on the trail. I wanted to get ahead of those two. It took another 20 minutes and I was just about to enter the hardwoods again and sit and wait when I looked down the curve of the trail and saw 3 gobblers on the trail 25 yards away!! They were facing away and all 3 heads were down as they were pecking up small gizzard stones. One saw me - but I was more then ready. the gobbler on the extreme right moved away from the other 2 and I fired. NO MISS THIS TIME.   Good head shot and it took quite a while for him to stop flipping around. A nice jake of 14lbs with a little 4" beard and  spurs just over a 1/4".

I took him at 6.35am this morning on public land.  And you know members -any gobbler-young or old--heavy or light- if a turkey hunter walks out with a gobbler on public land-- that is a true trophy!    I have one more shot in NEW JERSEY next Saturday and then that permit is no longer any good. Happy as Hell that I did not head down to N.J. this morning!!!

That's fantastic... Glad you broke the slump.  

• Like 2

Congrats to all...

Yesterday morning there were birds all over on the property I was hunting...Saw several, heard at least three different gobblers..

This morning it was quiet as a morgue...

That's turkey hunting...Tomorrow is another day...

Good luck to all...

• Like 5

Today was supposed to originally be raining and nope. Just drove by 3 hens and 2 strutters that my buddy and I tried working other morning. Just around the corner from his house.  Problem is they're on wrong side of Ellicott creek. I tried to be first hen on ground other day so they'd pitch down over it. Once their on the ground it becomes much difficult Once had a bird gobble on other side of creek a good 80x on the ground. He eventually came crashing thru the trees across and landed almost in my lap and scared the crud out of me. Quick strut and I had to snap shoot him. Took off half his beard. Oops 

• Like 1

Well, I didn't set the alarm because of the rain. Woke up to no rain, and a bird gobbling Acrost the street. First tom I've heard from my deck this yr.  Oh well.  Sitting with a glass of OJ listening to the music. 

• Like 1

Ran short on time due to Mothersday breakfast but we did see the same Tom I worked last Monday heading thru the same spot towards where we just were. He was 30 yards from the road gobbling and strutting with his hens. One of these days I'm going to have time to wait him out lol. 

Third time hunting this guy was the charm. He came very close to dying the first two times. Slipped in tight to his roosting area this morning...actually managed to set up right between him his hens. I could hear him drumming in the tree. The hens started tree talking...he flew down and came strutting into a load of mag blends @ 25 yds. Slumps over!!! On to #2. 

Even made it home in time to cook my wife a mother's day breakfast. 

2017-05-14 08.07.20.jpg

20170514_070314.jpg

• Like 19

3:30 found me heading for the shower and I was out the door and in the new spot by 4:30...Sweet! Well I pushed deer but who ever was below me had the woods singing with snorts...waited and waited not a peep then I start hearing this rhythmic timed caw,caw...Please if your trying to get them to sound off at least sound real LOL...I did some Oh so soft clucks and purrs and nothing at 6:30 I had a single young doe come in feeding and then walk straight to me ...at 10ft she would look up and stare then sniff around and look up...but then got a bit jumpy and walked off looking back over her shoulder..I have lunch in big Flats so left at 7a.m. ...pulled cards across the street nothing there either. Well raccoons rabbits and Oh on the way home glassed between me and the house..A huge grey/blk coyote trotted across our place to the hunting camp next door.

Here's a pic of grass they are all eating..Anyone know what it is?

20170514_071734_resized.jpg

20170514_071757_resized.jpg

Edited by growalot

14 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Third time hunting this guy was the charm. He came very close to dying the first two times. Slipped in tight to his roosting area this morning...actually managed to set up right between him his hens. I could hear him drumming in the tree. The hens started tree talking...he flew down and came strutting into a load of mag blends @ 25 yds. Slumps over!!! On to #2. 

Even made it home in time to cook my wife a mother's day breakfast. 

2017-05-14 08.07.20.jpg

20170514_070314.jpg

Great job and to be done before mothers breakfast is a bonus 

13 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Live from the road. Took the drug smugglers route to work. One bird was a ground dragger Serious beard. . 2474bdcc61ea66cc57f339523b8151ee.jpg1af18689bbc16c976b77c14aabf99328.jpg
More turkey ...... vultures that is enjoying a woodchucker breakfast dce3bb7b4b936d55a755c60f6acbddee.jpg7a9b99dbc29782e59909c93b32bacda5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cemetery Rd?

• Like 1