2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

Daughter and I cocked , locked and ready to rock. I never forget anything but shooting sticks for her are in basement. So improvised with real stick lol. It took a few minutes to scavenge one I didn't need to break up and make a lot of noise. Burping Berbere wings the whole ride. Purty morning out. Awaiting first gobble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Man it was nice out there cool light breeze and dark as sin. Was set up against my tree by 4:30 heard birds and at 6 A scruffy fawn came through...kept hearing real low clucks close by...Ya close alright...plop...They dropped down behind me with a short cackle...So I clucked and low yelped and I could hear them coming in behind me. Purring and twirping...oh so soft clucks.. Then doesn't the first one come in around the back of my tree at 5 ft. She moved just to the front rt corner of my eye and stared at me..she had to have seen the blink..putt...kackle and she was in flight gliding over the ridge to my NW and down to our streams. I believe I heard her stir up birds down the hill as she dropped down. The other took flight right off my shoulder down hill to my NE....Well so  much for that...lol I knew it would be a long wait for anything after that so packed up..just in time for the sprinkles to start,good timing..Will be back out after coffee.

Edited by growalot

Got out on time on a new spot I just got permission to hunt.  Birds were there at 4pm yesterday.  This morning they were roosted on the complete opposite side of the cornfield, behind some houses.  They gobbled on the roost, but not on the ground.  I'm still seeing flocks of birds, which makes no sense to me at all.  They must have pitched the other way, because they never made it out in the field.  They have been there every single day during the last week, but not this morning!  That's turkey hunting.  It was brisk and breezy.  Not much for bugs.  Starting to wonder if I will get a 2nd tom.  Congrats to those of you getting it done.  It's been a struggle for me.  I may make the hour plus drive to the farm to hunt tomorrow morning.  We'll see.  Shoot straight everyone...

• Like 2

My son told me it was his best hunt ever which made me reconsider my frustration of not getting him one. He said it was a combination of the Toms, stalking the hen and the over all scenery that put it at the top of his young list. That made me smile and it put things into perspective for me. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

My son told me it was his best hunt ever which made me reconsider my frustration of not getting him one. He said it was a combination of the Toms, stalking the hen and the over all scenery that put it at the top of his young list. That made me smile and it put things into perspective for me. 

Better than any trophy! 

• Like 1

Had a bird gobble from his roost last night. He gobbled alot this morning. Grass was so tall I had to snip off some old corn stalks and put my decoys on them. It worked. I heard him fly down. When he came out into the field he spotted my decoys and came straight towards them. First time in three weekends he didn't have a hen with him. Perfect weather and awesome hunt.

IMG_20170520_105103.jpg

• Like 14