Trucks

Buck_shooter

I'm looking to get a newer truck in the near future and was looking for real world recommendations and experience, not opinions. I'm looking to get a used half ton in the 75k mile range and have a few I'm considering. Top on the list right now are the ram with the 5.7 hemi and the f150 with the 5.0. If you own trucks with either of these engines I'm curious how many miles you've put on them and what maintenance you've had to do.

Another vote for RAM! 2014 crew cab Hemi. Love it. Better on gas then you'd think. Get the Mopar MaxCare (bumper to bumper) lifetime unlimited mileage warranty. You can shop online for quotes and most dealers will match. Really gives you piece of mind.

14 minutes ago, Billdogge said:

Another vote for RAM! 2014 crew cab Hemi. Love it. Better on gas then you'd think. Get the Mopar MaxCare (bumper to bumper) lifetime unlimited mileage warranty. You can shop online for quotes and most dealers will match. Really gives you piece of mind.

I'm guessing the warranty is only for trucks bought new?

Nope mine was used. Has to be under a certain amount of miles. If your truck is still under warranty should be able to get.

One of my employees got it on his used Avenger and has had a crap ton of work done for $100 deductible each time. You can pay more and get without the deductible. 

I don't know your plan but I highly recommend not financing a truck with 75k miles unless there is a warranty. Paying payments and for repairs can put you in a sticky situation in a hurry. As good as trucks are now 75k is still when stuff will start going especially if it's 4wd. Had a ford with the 5.0 and loved it long bed regular cab 4wd. It was a great truck but I didn't have it for very long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I agree with Buckmaster. I won't finance a truck unless cover for length of term. Got killed by a beautiful Lemon once. $600 truck payment and $1200 for repairs and $1500 the next month with no end in sight. It went away after that and lost a lot on that.

• Like 1

Ram.  Right now I am driving a 2014 CC Hemi. It is my third one. I put 25K a year on them so I usually keep them for 4 years and trade them in. Right now with winter gas I am averaging 19mpg. Once the summer blend comes in it will to up to 22.  No experience or interest in the F150. 

I have a 2010 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 in it. It currently has close to 150k on it, and it runs like a top. The only issues I have had that werent typical wear items or that I wasnt at fault for have been the exhaust manifold studs breaking. I did have to rebuild the rear end because I didnt follow the recommended fluid change on it. The thinner synthetic lube used in it needs to be changed every 30 - 40 thousand miles. Other than that, Ive replaced the front bearings at 140k, tie rod ends, and pads/rotors. Ive done a bunch of modifications to it (lift, wheel package, exhaust, sound system, etc) and its been a great truck that has done everything Ive needed it to do.

I've gotten a lot of mixed opinions on the warranty. Unfortunately with the price on even used trucks being so high, I'm sure I'll have to finance. In the past I've never been worried about 75k miles. The last few trucks I've had went past the 150 mark strong. Is that wishful thinking for newer trucks?

I vote Ford. The 5.0 is a good engine. My old man has one and has been very happy. I have a ecoboost that will have 130k on it before the end of the month. No major issues.

Wife's lease can be turned in early next month and we are going to get another F150 so we will have two of them. Probably going to get her a 5.0. I like the ecoboost and wouldn't mind another but I kinda want both engines just to say I've got both

Ram all the way i really think ford has gone down hill and i used to be a ford guy

Not sure how anyone could think Fords gone done hill when their sales continue to soar....

The aluminum body they use now I think will be a god send for us living in the rust belt. From everything I can find online, they won't be rusting apart like everything else in 5-8 years.

I know a few people who had the 5.0 one of them was a 2010 and he supposedly had some issues with transmission slipping. Ended up trading it in before 25000 miles for an Eco boost. Another one was a 2013 that my buddy traded in with around 50000 for a 2016 with another 5.0. it doesn't seem like people are keeping trucks for as long as they did in years past though

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I know a few people who had the 5.0 one of them was a 2010 and he supposedly had some issues with transmission slipping. Ended up trading it in before 25000 miles for an Eco boost. Another one was a 2013 that my buddy traded in with around 50000 for a 2016 with another 5.0. it doesn't seem like people are keeping trucks for as long as they did in years past though

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Your buddy's 2010 didn't have a 5.0. The 5.0 didn't go into production until 2011. That's when the F150s got 3 new engines, the 5.0, ecoboost and 6.2L. The transmissions are 6R80s that got started in 2009 in the F150s and have proven to be solid trannys. The new 10 speed trannys should be cool, can't wait To see how they hold up, I'm guessing they will since Ford and chevy teamed up on building it and put a lot of R&D into it
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Not sure how anyone could think Fords gone done hill when their sales continue to soar....

The aluminum body they use now I think will be a god send for us living in the rust belt. From everything I can find online, they won't be rusting apart like everything else in 5-8 years.

Salt eats up aluminum as well, it just pits and corrodes. Ever see aluminum wheels after a while in the salt?

• Like 2

Salt eats up aluminum as well, it just pits and corrodes. Ever see aluminum wheels after a while in the salt?

It does. But not nearly at the rate of speed it will eat away steel. Not to mention wheels aren't coated with the protective primers and paint like body panels. Commercial trucks and trailers have been using aluminum body panels for years, if they didn't hold up better than steel they'd never use it

Aluminum also crushes pretty easy.

ford-f-150-crash-test-aluminum-body-250.png

Lol and what's your point?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2016/04/12/in-crash-tests-fords-aluminum-f-150-is-the-safest-pickup/amp/

So the highest crash test rating just doesn't count because it's aluminum?

The picture you posted is the overlap test. Ford being the only manufacturer to get a acceptable score on it. Every other truck brand got marginal at best. Regardless of anyone's feeling on steel vs aluminum, there's no disputing who makes the safest trucks based solely on factual data

I have a 2013 F150 with a 5.0.  Approx 65k on it at the moment.  I've put 36k on it in the last 16 months.  I haven't had to do anything but change the oil.  Then again, at 65k, I would hope nothing was wrong with it.  I used to get 21 mpg until I put the leveling kit on it, but even now I still get 18.5 with summer gas.

Actually, I take that back.  I did have an issue where my rear defroster overheated and made my back window explode (it sounds worse than it was).  It is quite a common occurrence from what I read on Ford forums.  It wouldn't have bothered me if Ford hadn't refused to acknowledge that this is a common problem and fixed it.  Instead, I had to file a glass claim with my insurance. 

• Like 1

ADKhunter. You like Fords I don't.....who really cares what we think. Taking way too serious. 

I never figured anyone truly cared what I thought. But I find it irritating when people spread false information around because they don't do their due diligence to bring facts to the table to have a intelligent convo.

The OP wanted a comparison and opinions. Trying to give him those, but with actual facts, not just opinions.
  • Like 3