Squid Jigging near NYC

Elmo

Anyone has any insight into squid jigging near NYC?  Tips, techniques, etc.  I read that people hammer them at night further out in LI and Conneticut.  Its piqued my curiosity but not enough for me to drive long distances to try it.

You mean catching squid or using squid to catch Stripped bass? If it's catching squid I never heard of this before. Lived on LI all my life and fished a lot. I used to scuba dive and at times in the sound we would encounter massive schools of squid. They would be mating and the males were all lit up trying to attract females. The guys died after mating and you would see the floor loaded with them dead, poor bastards! lol

• Like 1

I don't. I use them for fluke bait. But, yes you can eat them. You can't get calimari any fresher. It seems like once the blues show up, it's all over, where I go anyway. I do know of one spot on the south fork where they can be caught all summer. 

I go fluking with my buddy in RI, if I lived there I'd be obsessed with it! Most underrated game fish on the planet

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:52 PM, ATbuckhunter said:

I was also wondering this elmo. Go to the website stripersonline. They have some good info on this on that site. 

Been super busy but if I do come across a spot, I'll get some beer and hit you up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2017 at 5:14 AM, NonTypical said:

If you're up for a road trip, the Lady Frances fleet in Pt Judith RI does squid trips. You'll probably have much better luck getting on a boat. 

second that, i dont know of a single boat that runs squid trips in CT/NY/NJ area.  The RI boats usually go out early in the season and catch.  I think you missed your window for this year. 

Seems like I missed it.  I wouldn't jump on a boat for squid though.  Was simply looking to do it off of a pier.  if I was paying to get on a boat I'd rather go so something more worth while like Stripe Bass, etc.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Elmo,

I don't fish for squid, but know guys that did on both the north and south shores of L.I. WE used fresh snagged fish many years back and found that the fluke would only take those and not the store bought. I don't know if that;'s normal, but it happened that night. (I'm not a fluke fisherman, and only jig for them when bass, or blues are not hitting.

Last fall they were near where I was fishing under lights,and a guy who I know was catching them, but the stripers were around and I didn't want to change to my squid jig.

I would think that if you called a couple of tackle shops they'd be able to help with info.

• Like 1

this is a squid jig use to be able to jig squid @ nite on coney island  pier .i know of no boats that specifically target them though its mostly jigging from piers these are squid jigs. go on the fisherman and noreast.com there will deffently be more info on those sites 

Unweighted%20Bullet%20Head%20Squid%20Jig.jpg

• Like 2

May is the best time for squid. I usually go to the Greenport Pier late at night until first light. It can get kinda crowded. However, if the squid are around you could fill a five gallon bucket. It hasn't been great the last couple of years. 

• Like 2

Elmo,  Yesterday,I got a call from a friend who told me that, about  two weeks ago, some bluefish were spiting up squid after they were caught. This was on the south shore at one of the inlets. I was away when that happened, but during the 1st week of May, before I left, I caught blues and didn't see any squid in the bellies of those that I cleaned. So they did come around here in May just as  Karpteach reported.

I'm heading up to the north shore now, to kayak fish. Sometimes I run into a fisherman up there who fishes all night and does try for squid at times. If he's there  I'll ask him for some info for you.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, greybeard said:

Elmo,  Yesterday,I got a call from a friend who told me that, about  two weeks ago, some bluefish were spiting up squid after they were caught. This was on the south shore at one of the inlets. I was away when that happened, but during the 1st week of May, before I left, I caught blues and didn't see any squid in the bellies of those that I cleaned. So they did come around here in May just as  Karpteach reported.

I'm heading up to the north shore now, to kayak fish. Sometimes I run into a fisherman up there who fishes all night and does try for squid at times. If he's there  I'll ask him for some info for you.

Thanks!  Much appreciated.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:09 AM, tommyc50 said:

this is a squid jig use to be able to jig squid @ nite on coney island  pier .i know of no boats that specifically target them though its mostly jigging from piers these are squid jigs. go on the fisherman and noreast.com there will deffently be more info on those sites

I bought a two of these in different color:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SHW9M2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems like I missed my window.  I had a really busy May anyhow and it looks like a busy July as well.

• Like 2