Good Luck To All The Youth Turkey Hunters!

grampy

Well we tried like hell! Had birds again this morning gobbling all around us. They must all have plenty of hens with them because I couldn't pull any of them away. Very responsive to my calls but not much commitment. After chasing some birds around behind my house until 9 we headed back to the state land to see if anything over there would gobble. Second place we stopped we struck one up. Quickly got ready and headed up the path when not 50 yards in the gobbler was coming right down the path to us and spotted us, spooked and took off. What a bummer that was!! He was at least 200+ yards away when he first gobbled, he bumrushed us and ran straight down the hill to us. Must of lost his hens and was anxious to find them.

All in all it was an awesome weekend and I'm glad I could take Mark and his son along and get them on some action, even if we lacked the final pull of the trigger. The excitement from youngsters when gobblers are screaming at us just 50 yards away is just awesome to see!! Makes me extremely happy to help get a kid introduced to turkey hunting. Those guys have an open invite back anytime they want to do some hunting, and hope to see them again in a few weeks to try again at getting Miles his first turkey.

• Like 4

Well, as Adkhunter1590 (John) said, we tried like hell!  Didn't get a bird, but we had a great time, and learned a lot.  (This was the first time turkey hunting for me and my son, who is 12 and just got his license a couple months ago.)  A few take-aways - 

First, I should have prepared better in terms of clothing.  It was colder than I expected Saturday (and wet), and I hadn't prepared the boy well for cool weather.  He was shivering for a good while, but hung in there.  Also, when John suggested good boots "because it can be a little muddy," I should have listened.  Next time, we'll be better prepared.  Standard hiking boots are not sufficient.  

After we got back to the inn yesterday, I was a little worried that Miles would be too tired or cold to be enthusiastic.  Quite the contrary, he was psyched!  The experience of calling the gobblers in (John did this of course), and working them slowly toward us, then having them open their fan and strut around, albeit just a bit out of safe range, was exciting for him (and me).  It was really cool.  He was not focused on disappointment at not getting a bird, he was focused on how fun it was, and how much we were learning.  And ready to get back out there.  

Today was warmer, bright and sunny, and the area where we hunted first (behind John's house) was absolutely beautiful.  As were the state lands we visited again later in the morning.  We keep threatening to buy some property in that area, and I think that may have sealed the deal for Miles (he talked constantly about it later).  To paraphrase something John said later, hunting is 99% hunting and 1% killing, and if can't enjoy the former, well....  I will say, we did enjoy the former, very much.  It was just exquisite as the sun rose thru the trees and glistened on the creek below. 

My son is shy and can be a little social awkward (like his dad).  He took to John immediately, and John managed it well (he's obviously a father of young kids himself).  I was happy to see them talking, whispering, pointing, the boy learning, nodding his head, he was very comfortable.  I think this is half the job of a good guide (and a good friend, as well).  I enjoyed this morning as Miles grilled John about the calls he uses.  And I have to say, I never would have thought a stick rubbed against a piece of slate could yield a sound of almost desperate lust. :)

We had a great drive back, and as we got closer to the NYC, the traffic and ugliness of course imposed on us, and we both wished we didn't have to be making that drive south.  John, you shouldn't be inviting us back if you don't want it - 'cause we're hooked.  Hope to see you in a couple of weeks.

jmark (and Miles) 

P.S.  I loved the sign in the local laundromat.  You know you're in gun country when you see that.  And... there's a damn good restaurant in Greenville, called the Mountainview Brasserie or something like that.  Serve decent size steaks.  

IMG_3661.JPG

IMG_3662.JPG

• Like 4

Nate and I had a great weekend of hunting and at the end we didn't get a bird but came close and had a great time. Last night I decided it was time to pass the torch and I gave home my prized 870. I hope it brings him as much game as it brought me.   

Im converting my A-5 to my new Turkey gun as of tomorrow with a Carlsons Long Beard choke. 

• Like 2

Just want to give a big "Thumbs Up" and a "High Five" to all the youth hunters and their mentors, who participated over the weekend. You young people are the future of hunting! And the future is bright from what I'm seeing! And all you experienced guys are giving the spark to ignite the flame. You should all be so proud! Still have until the end of May, to those youngsters who have not yet got their bird! So be sure to post those pic's and stories! 

• Like 4