Carved buck skull...

wooly

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

That looks great!!

and stop shooting that damn tree:rolleyes:

That tree's got more lead in it than Curmudgeons eagles,lol

My ol' man was shooting that tree before I was strong enough to lift a gun. Probably close to 40 years since it took it's first slug and she's still alive and kickin'!

51 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

That's a really good look on a skull. Is it carved or painted? I almost has a burned wood look to it. Nice job!

It's carved.

Here it is after the first carve. Then I burn it with the torch and carve out (blend) what I don't want colored.

DSC_0057.JPG

• Like 4

Awesome as usual Wooly!  Was that a deadhead?  That's seriously impressive.  My buddy owns a small taxidermy shop.  He would LOVE something like this skull for a display. 

If I had that kind of talent, I would Euro mount every buck I killed and then carve/burn in some details on the skull to remind me of the hunt. Thanks for sharing your "work".

• Like 2

Yeah, that was a deadhead find from about 3 or 4 years ago that I had mounted to a plaque.

One of the best deadheads I've found here, so I knew I'd take my time on it so it would turn out alright.

Definitely helped keep me focused when I tend to get sloppy.

• Like 1

Awesome work wooly! You never cease to amaze me! Your talent knows no bounds. That really is cool! If I am lucky, and kill a buck this year, I know where I'd like to send it! I'll have to make you an offer you can't refuse, $$.....   I've gone to euro mounts the last couple years. And I really like them. The only way I'll do another full mount, is if it scores over 150.  Not to likely in my neck of the woods. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, grampy said:

Awesome work wooly! You never cease to amaze me! Your talent knows no bounds. That really is cool! If I am lucky, and kill a buck this year, I know where I'd like to send it! I'll have to make you an offer you can't refuse, $$.....   I've gone to euro mounts the last couple years. And I really like them. The only way I'll do another full mount, is if it scores over 150.  Not to likely in my neck of the woods. 

Thanks again everybody!

Grampy- I decided to take your suggestion to carve some crosses and deer tracks on antler burrs as well.

I still don't have the tips quite small enough for the fine detail stuff I'd like to get into, but I get plenty of practice with some basic designs until I can fine tune everything.

DSC_0034.JPG

• Like 3

Love it!!! I'll say again, you could make a killing at the farmers markets, or flea markets during the summer! Your stuff is so unique, it would sell faster than you could make it. If I was strolling past a booth, with stuff like this, you would definitely be getting some of my greenbacks! Keep em coming Matt! Every time you post another picture, I'm like, wow, how does he do that?

• Like 3