Ontario lake rising

sodfather

This is my friends next door neighbors lot in Town of Yates last week. The high waves left all this debris up onto front of lot. This has never happened before that he can remember, and some people have no breakwall or boulders along shore front to help protect their property from washing away. It's a serious issue for sure.

0410170757.jpg

Stupid question but is this an anomaly or does this happen often and only now being reported in the local news? Someone mentioned the lake level being up a foot or so? that's a helluva lot of a rise in water level. I wonder if this is just the ebb and flow of nature around us...some stretch of time the lakes are high and other times not so high.

They regulate the flow of the lake water from dams up in the St. Lawrence River, and it is supposed to aid in shipping levels. They said if they let more water thru now, Montreal would flood. It is supposed to crest around May 14, and will have risen another 10 inches by then. It definitely is something they need to address. People pay very high taxes on waterfront property, and they are just having their money washed away.

Nothing odd about it . It's a joint US and Canada agreement , 2014 to regulate levels to restore swaps to prior levels for muskrat and northern pike breeding .

of course the down side is flooding of people's homes .....

• Like 1

Wife and I had dinner in Wilson tonight at Woodcock Bros Brewery, dynamite as usual.  Prior to that we went into Olcott Harbor and took a walk around the docks/boat launch then scoped out my bosses cottage on the lake shore on the Wilson/Newfane town line.

Let me tell you; they could have some serious issues up there as the water level is expected to rise another 12" by May 15th.  It is REAL bad.............

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:00 PM, Lawdwaz said:

Wife and I had dinner in Wilson tonight at Woodcock Bros Brewery, dynamite as usual.  Prior to that we went into Olcott Harbor and took a walk around the docks/boat launch then scoped out my bosses cottage on the lake shore on the Wilson/Newfane town line.

Let me tell you; they could have some serious issues up there as the water level is expected to rise another 12" by May 15th.  It is REAL bad.............

How was the food there ? Hope you had an XPA IPA. It's outstanding and would put it up against any of the world famous IPA's.