Versamax patterns

TreeGuy

Finally took the time to sit down and do some math on patterns. Actually, I did no math, I let the reactive targets tell me the true story. I've done a ton of searching and had absolutely no luck on actual patterning of a turkey choke on a versamax, so those that may find this helpful, your welcome. My setup is a versamax with a jellyhead choke tube. All shells are 3.5". I shot heavy shot magnum blend (MB), Remington nitro, and Winchester xr long beard. After a couple practice shots with the factory full choke vs jelly head I quickly tossed the factory back in the bag. I like real tight patterns for turkeys. I have a sparc 2 red dot so margin for error is something I don't deem a priority. I do feel that without a scope or red dot, the xr was too tight of a pattern to allow for error with beads. Here are a few pics from 30 yrds and 40 yrds. I'll be running the XR for sure. I'm impressed. Even the rem nitro out performed the MB and will be a backup if XR is not available. Mainly I'm just thankful that the 5$/shell magnum blend can stay on the shelf too.

a985de6b4b34a3445f4f5f4ab1240d08.jpg609a5019a5f701a4e6308f67234fbf82.jpgc021770c22efcd17d33721bdb29fe1f1.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

All those will kill a bird stone dead for sure. What size shot on the XR's ? If you see Federal Heavyweight 7's you may want to pick up a box. About as pricey as Magblends but I think you'll be pleased with density of the 7's and pattern is a little more open than the XR's. Just enough for wiggle room on a close bird .

Xr's are #5's. I'm not certain I will invest in any more "expensive" shells. I don't think I could be happier than the XRs. This is my first bird season with the red dot, but in comparison when I had it on my 870 slug gun I was able to group 3" @ 100yrds vs 3" at 50 yrds with rifle sights... So my logic is I want a tighter pattern since I have a better point of aim. Granted, if I plug one at 15 yrds the pics will have some gore, but the bird will be dead !

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Xr's are #5's. I'm not certain I will invest in any more "expensive" shells. I don't think I could be happier than the XRs. This is my first bird season with the red dot, but in comparison when I had it on my 870 slug gun I was able to group 3" @ 100yrds vs 3" at 50 yrds with rifle sights... So my logic is I want a tighter pattern since I have a better point of aim. Granted, if I plug one at 15 yrds the pics will have some gore, but the bird will be dead !

I was very impressed with patterns of XR's from my gun but.....at 30 yards I had a little larger than a  grapefruit sized pattern. A bobbing head inside 30 yards is going to be a real biatch to hit   At 20 and in almost impossible. Better "putt" the heck out of him to freeze him up

• Like 2