Charlotte North Carolina

kpkot

I go to Charlotte for work, and Im not into NASCAR, but I was bored one day and did go to the hall of fame. Not really worth the admission if you ask me. The one place I do go sometimes is to Blackstone shooting supplies, they have a very nice range and plenty of different guns to shoot. Prices are pretty good to shoot as well. Food wise, I havent found all that much thats great, but I dont stay in downtown Charlotte either. Im always staying about 1/2 hr north, near our main office there.

• Like 1

I'm from Charlotte, grew up there.  Was there a month ago to visit family.  

Charlotte is a pretty large city at this point, having annexed or effectively annexed most of the suburbs.  Traffic can be a nightmare and getting around can be confusing.  It was never a "designed" city, and grew too fast.  If you're only there for a couple of days, it would make sense to focus on your immediate area (if there's anything there), or identify something specific to do.  I grew up on the south side of town (Carmel Road area), and know it best, but it's been a long time since I lived there.  It will be warm (potentially hot) this time of year.  

Being a fan of barbeque, I would suggest trying the local fare.  A couple of examples:

Mac's Speed Shop - 2511 South Blvd ("Beer Bikes and Barbeque")
McKoy's Smokehouse and Saloon - 4630 Old Pineville Rd
Bill Spoon's BBQ -- 5524 South Blvd
Sauceman's -- 228 West Blvd

For gun stuff, we go to Carolina Sporting Arms when I'm there.  It's "Membership Only" but takes about five minutes to sign up for a membership (which I think is free).  Good stock of guns and ammo and supplies.  http://csaguns.com/  There's other shops, that one just happens to be convenient.  Restaurant called Light Rail right next door is decent.  

If you play golf, there are many golf courses, some of which are supposedly quite good (I don't play).  

There's lots and lots and lots and lots of shopping malls.  And chain restaurants.  And Starbucks.  Etc.

If I had a little more info about your stay, I might be able to provide more suggestions.  Generally speaking, to be honest, I don't find much attractive about the city - but then, I grew up there, so I'm probably a bit cynical and jaded about it.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jmark said:

Generally speaking, to be honest, I don't find much attractive about the city - but then, I grew up there, so I'm probably a bit cynical and jaded about it.  

I travel alot for work, and that is the one place I dont enjoy going. No offense, but its a boring, crappy place to go. I usually travel down to the Greenville SC area while Im down there, and prefer to stay there when I can.

28 minutes ago, kpkot said:

I live 5 min from buffalo cabelas. is the sc cabelas any different?

There's more than one.  I've been to the one in Ft. Mill, which is right on the NC/SC border.  It's a good Cabela's, as Cabela's go.  Pretty much to me they all seem to be exactly the same.  But if you have kids with you and you're there on the weekend, you could consider going to Carowinds and to Cabela's, as they are across the street from each other.  Carowinds is a fairly large amusement park, and has lots of live entertainment (probably focused on country music, but not sure).  I haven't been in many years, so I would check current reviews.  But I think it's a pretty good place for young kids.  

Edit: Don't bother with the Gander Mountain in Charlotte.  Assuming it's even still there, it's a total waste of time, unless you like paying 110% of MSRP.  The Bass Pro is ok (but again, they're all about the same).  I did find some 8mm Mauser ammo there cheap ($17 a box), and stocked up.  

Edited by jmark
  • Like 1