Turkey Numbers

Sharpshooter

Does anyone have an initial sense of what the turkey numbers are like this year, either from scouting or from the youth weekend? I am out of state but will be coming back for the first weekend for my annual turkey hunting week in Northern New York (St. Lawrence County). Started turkey hunting in 2001 when the turkey numbers were crazy, so the last few years have seemed to be really down. I was thinking that the mild winter should have helped this year. Thanks. 

In Steuben County our numbers are coming back slowly. More this year than last year. A ton of hens around. Between ourselves and the neighbors, 3 years ago we slaughtered the longbeards on our hill. I think we got a little too trigger happy on one property that year. We left it alone, only taking 1 bird since then and things are looking better. not as good as used to be but better. 

Numbers looking good in Albany/Greene county. Been seeing and hearing birds all over the place. I think the hen to tom ratio is a little out of whack at the moment though. I've seen flocks of 30 birds and 2 or 3 of them are toms.

Years ago I remember there being a lot more toms to the amount of hens. Makes hunting more difficult since it's harder to pull those toms away from the hens. I guess I'll just be happy the general population numbers are back on the rise for now.

• Like 1

Numbers looking good in Albany/Greene county. Been seeing and hearing birds all over the place. I think the hen to tom ratio is a little out of whack at the moment though. I've seen flocks of 30 birds and 2 or 3 of them are toms.

Years ago I remember there being a lot more toms to the amount of hens. Makes hunting more difficult since it's harder to pull those toms away from the hens. I guess I'll just be happy the general population numbers are back on the rise for now.

I've said the same thing about the Tom to hen ratio. For the amount of hunters out there spring turkey hunting, mainly only harvesting male birds. The hens get free passes almost all year long. I know my first opportunity at a hen during the fall I take, I'll pass up toms to take hens in the fall. Let a group of 14 LB'S walk last year several times waiting for a hen.
I think of it kind of like the whitetail rut. That Tom has an abundance of females .. he does this need to fight nor talk if he doesn't want to.
But then one will argue that you need hens to breed and have the poults.. true.. but to possibly make spring season a bit better, I think a hen or 2 need to be taken each year. Like a manager would for whitetails..
Plus I hate how you get that Tom working and coming in finally. And just out of range, have him go tight lipped and disappear cause a hen toted him away lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'd soil my boxers if I had 14 longbeards come in at once. Gobbling and strutting , oh my. That would be a dream come true !  Never had more than 3 come in   And only 3 once. Only 2 left. But not before foot stomping their fallen comrade. 

It was fall, I have a stand setup fairly close to a well known roost. The were single file the last time I saw them at 12 yards lol. I just have zero interest in a fall gobbler.. then I think about it.. maybe it would be cool with a bow lol. And Tonto it all off, as we speak they are clear cutting that roost ... just my luck

I've said the same thing about the Tom to hen ratio. For the amount of hunters out there spring turkey hunting, mainly only harvesting male birds. The hens get free passes almost all year long. I know my first opportunity at a hen during the fall I take, I'll pass up toms to take hens in the fall. Let a group of 14 LB'S walk last year several times waiting for a hen.
I think of it kind of like the whitetail rut. That Tom has an abundance of females .. he does this need to fight nor talk if he doesn't want to.
But then one will argue that you need hens to breed and have the poults.. true.. but to possibly make spring season a bit better, I think a hen or 2 need to be taken each year. Like a manager would for whitetails..
Plus I hate how you get that Tom working and coming in finally. And just out of range, have him go tight lipped and disappear cause a hen toted him away lol

I know I hunt different than most but I love a ton with a bunch of hens, he's concentrated on them and not me sneaking up on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I know I hunt different than most but I love a ton with a bunch of hens, he's concentrated on them and not me sneaking up on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a good point, never really looked at it that way. I just see it as way too many eyeballs to even think about putting a sneak on lol. Maybe im a clumsy stepper in the woods

• Like 1

Thats a good point, never really looked at it that way. I just see it as way too many eyeballs to even think about putting a sneak on lol. Maybe im a clumsy stepper in the woods

I have the same thoughts. Usually harder to sneak up on a big group with a bunch of hens. Gobbler is distracted but the hens are always spread out and on the look out. Can't count how many times I've had a hen that I didn't know was there catch me and take the whole flock with her.

I'll take as many hens as allowed in the fall. Didn't they drop it to one bird in the fall now?

The last year we had out camp in oneonta I plugged 2 fat hens in the fall. Scattered the flock and called them back in. It was awesome. Hens taste just as good as toms!

Your right about managing like deer. You see too many hens in a flock, take a few out. Don't see to many, then don't take any. Pretty simple lol