Remington Core-Lokt 30-06 180Gr Round nose bullets?

Pipecrew

Round nose bullets group well in many rifles.  They also tend to expand very reliably and perform well on game.

Assuming comparable accuracy, pointed bullets have no significant ballistic advantage until the range gets long, say 250 yards and   beyond.  Even then the difference  isn't as much as many people think..

• Like 2

Thanks Culver, but because of the NYS Safe Act I can't have ammo shipped to me unless I have an FFL. 

Larry, I prefer the round nose because most of my hunting is in hardwoods and thick cedars. My friend's uncle told me years ago to only shoot the round nose bullets. He might be the best deer hunter I've ever met. He had a streak of shooting a buck in the Northern Zone that lasted 20 years I believe!! He had a stack of horns in the corner of his garage that my friends were all jealous of. He worked hard for every buck he shot and swore by the round nose Remingtons. 

I have shoot both the round and pointed bullets and didn't see much difference in accuracy at 100 yards. My shots are mostly less than 100 yards in the hardwoods. I am posting a picture of 2 Remington round nose bullets I recovered from a couple deer I shot with them. The bullet on the bottom was recovered from the 2nd doe when I killed 2 does with one shot ( and no I wasn't trying to kill both, the 2nd doe jumped behind the 1st as I was pulling the trigger). After  passing thru the first doe it broke the opposite rib of the 2 doe and lodged between the rib and skin. Both does only traveled about 40-50 yards and died about 5 feet apart. 

The bullet on the top is from a big 10 point I shot. It broke thru ribs on both sides and lodged between the rib and skin. The buck only went about 20 yards. 

Anyway, that's why I use them. I know some guys hate them but everyone I know that uses them has had no complaints. 

Thanks 

IMG_0573.JPG

Edited by Pipecrew
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pipecrew said:

Thanks Culver, but because of the NYS Safe Act I can't have ammo shipped to me unless I have an FFL. 

You are wrong on that point. You still CAN have ammo shipped here. There are dealers that have chosen NOT to ship here becasue of the SAFE Act but check out the dealers in this thread.  It is usually kept pretty current but start with the most recent and work your way back. 

http://nyfirearms.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/68332-official-still-shipping-ny-thread.html

• Like 1