Tacoma truck recall

First-light

The difference is, if you bought a GM, it would rot out and they wouldn't give a crap.  That's just part of owning a vehicle in their world.  I see more GM and Ford vehicles rusted out driving around here than any other brand.  I will never buy either for as long as I live.

wow lots of hate based on brand.  I am not really brand loyal.  Whatever I like I buy and try to take care of it.  So far, I haven't owned any vehicles except a dodge Durango (not so good) that I think held up any better or worse than the others.  At lease Toyota is fixing a problem and most companies shy away from fixing rust issues, although it surprises me that a frame can rot away.

Edited by moog5050

The difference is, if you bought a GM, it would rot out and they wouldn't give a crap.  That's just part of owning a vehicle in their world.  I see more GM and Ford vehicles rusted out driving around here than any other brand.  I will never buy either for as long as I live.

Not a very accurate statement there. Your seeing body panels rotting out on GMs and Ford. Their frames aren't rotting out for the most part. Toyota recalled all those trucks for rotted frames that would break in half. I'd rather have a rotted rocker panel than my frame rotting right out. The frame is a major safety issue. Rotten body panels don't cause any safety issues, therefore the manufacturer isn't going to do anything about it. If fords and GMs had frames rotting out all over the place, you'd see them recalling just like Toyota.

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

wow lots of hate based on brand.  I am not really brand loyal.  Whatever I like I buy and try to take care of it.  So far, I haven't owned any vehicles except a dodge Durango (not so good) that I think held up any better or worse than the others.  At lease Toyota is fixing a problem and most companies shy away from fixing rust issues, although it surprises me that a frame can rot away.

They probably used American steal.  They won't make that mistake twice.

Hate is a word I would reserve for things with emotion, not inanimate objects, but when it comes to Ford and GM, its as close as it gets.  Between legacy costs, government bailouts, sub-par products, greed, and past bad experience in owning both, never again will I buy the "big 3" brands.  You might as well burn $100 bills to stay warm at night.

13 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Not a very accurate statement there. Your seeing body panels rotting out on GMs and Ford. Their frames aren't rotting out for the most part. Toyota recalled all those trucks for rotted frames that would break in half. I'd rather have a rotted rocker panel than my frame rotting right out. The frame is a major safety issue. Rotten body panels don't cause any safety issues, therefore the manufacturer isn't going to do anything about it. If fords and GMs had frames rotting out all over the place, you'd see them recalling just like Toyota.

Did you see the study that was published where they compared a Honda Accord and a Chevy Malibu?  It was like 2 years ago or so.  Remove the logo, and it is basically the same car (yes, they look different, but same doors, tires, chassis, engine, seats, amenities, etc.).  The difference, the Honda is currently being built for approximately $40 / hour and the Chevy for $85 / hour, over double, right here in the US.  That translates to a Honda Accord for under $30K and a Chevy Malibu for over $40K.  The next time you go to your local friendly Chevy dealer, just know you helped pay off billions of dollars in debt by overpaying for that vehicle by 40%.  You are not paying for materials, you are paying legacy costs and debt.  So yeah, "they are just the body panels rotting out"   lol.  Cuz that's ok after 3 or 4 years.  lol.

Did you see the study that was published where they compared a Honda Accord and a Chevy Malibu?  It was like 2 years ago or so.  Remove the logo, and it is basically the same car (yes, they look different, but same doors, tires, chassis, engine, seats, amenities, etc.).  The difference, the Honda is currently being built for approximately $40 / hour and the Chevy for $85 / hour, over double, right here in the US.  That translates to a Honda Accord for under $30K and a Chevy Malibu for over $40K.  The next time you go to your local friendly Chevy dealer, just know you helped pay off billions of dollars in debt by overpaying for that vehicle by 40%.  You are not paying for materials, you are paying legacy costs and debt.  So yeah, "they are just the body panels rotting out"   lol.  Cuz that's ok after 3 or 4 years.  lol.

Trust me, I am no fan of GM. I think GM is a terrible company that should of been allowed to go bankrupt years ago. In my eyes they've been a sub par company since the beginning. You'll never catch me giving a penny of my hard earned money to GM.

I don't think panels rotting out in 3-4 years is good on any brand. But it's a fact of life for us in salt areas. Move to a different state and we'd never even be having this convo. But now Ford is using aluminum body panels so rusting panels may be a thing of the past, time will tell

13 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Trust me, I am no fan of GM. I think GM is a terrible company that should of been allowed to go bankrupt years ago. In my eyes they've been a sub par company since the beginning. You'll never catch me giving a penny of my hard earned money to GM.

I don't think panels rotting out in 3-4 years is good on any brand. But it's a fact of life for us in salt areas. Move to a different state and we'd never even be having this convo. But now Ford is using aluminum body panels so rusting panels may be a thing of the past, time will tell

I believe you.  That was a really interesting study if you didn't see when it was published.  Quite eye opening.  I've got a couple family members who are die hard GM and they drank too much Koolaid.  They brag about dropping $50K on a pick-up truck. When i tell them they paid for a $30K truck and $20K in legacy cost and debt, they don't believe me.  Anyway, my last 5 vehicles have been "foreign" and I keep them for 5 to 6 years and $100,000 miles usually.  I live in Buffalo, we have plenty of salt.  I've not had a spot of rust on any vehicle I have owned.

15 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

That recall has been ongoing for years. Not sure why his brother is just finding out about it now. I think they recalled all 2005-2009s if my memory serves me right.

Correct.  A close friend of mine had one that was done years ago (like 7 or 8).  It's not a new recall.

• Like 1

I could care less if people love to knock the Japanese brands.  I know that I will continue to buy Japanese because I have had so few issues over the years that they've got me sold for good!  Sure, both American and Japanese brands can have issues, they are mechanical/electronic devices after all.  But my experience has been that the Japanese brands have way less issues from the people I have known owning one or the other. 

I'll be sure to honk my horn at you guys when I pass the repair shops!! LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beachpeaz said:

They probably used American steal.  They won't make that mistake twice.

Hate is a word I would reserve for things with emotion, not inanimate objects, but when it comes to Ford and GM, its as close as it gets.  Between legacy costs, government bailouts, sub-par products, greed, and past bad experience in owning both, never again will I buy the "big 3" brands.  You might as well burn $100 bills to stay warm at night.

How about steel? LOL. Just busting' your chops because it's Friday... and I can! 

I could care less if people love to knock the Japanese brands.  I know that I will continue to buy Japanese because I have had so few issues over the years that they've got me sold for good!  Sure, both American and Japanese brands can have issues, they are mechanical/electronic devices after all.  But my experience has been that the Japanese brands have way less issues from the people I have known owning one or the other. 

Can't argue that the foreign Asian brands tend to be pretty good on reliability. They just don't make any trucks with just the right stuff going for them. I'd own a foreign brand if they had a half ton that could beat my F150 in every category. Safety being number 1. The foreign brands don't even offer 2500 class and up so they aren't even a factor if you need something like that, which a lot of people do. I've always said and believed that the foreign company's make better "small trucks". Example, Toyota Tacoma vs a Ford Ranger....the Yota is a far superior truck in that size range. But a F150 and even a Ram 1500 come out on top compared to the Toyota Tundra. Foreign truck drivers can applauded their reliability all they want, until the day they buy a boat to big or a trailer to heavy and realize that Rice burner can't rise to the task.

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

I'll honk back when I see you at the gas station.

18 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Can't argue that the foreign Asian brands tend to be pretty good on reliability. They just don't make any trucks with just the right stuff going for them. I'd own a foreign brand if they had a half ton that could beat my F150 in every category. Safety being number 1. The foreign brands don't even offer 2500 class and up so they aren't even a factor if you need something like that, which a lot of people do. I've always said and believed that the foreign company's make better "small trucks". Example, Toyota Tacoma vs a Ford Ranger....the Yota is a far superior truck in that size range. But a F150 and even a Ram 1500 come out on top compared to the Toyota Tundra. Foreign truck drivers can applauded their reliability all they want, until the day they buy a boat to big or a trailer to heavy and realize that Rice burner can't rise to the task.

Nissan Titan X-D diesel is up there, not a monster by a stretch but that's a start...  

Nissan Titan X-D diesel is up there, not a monster by a stretch but that's a start...  

Not exactly...it's tow ratings are a few hundred pounds less than a F150 and the max payload is 1300 pounds less. Nissan shot for a truck between a half ton and 3/4 ton and missed the mark on that one

The guy I work part time for has a Toyota Tacoma with almost 400,000 miles on it . He had the frame replaced a couple years ago for free . The only thing he had to pay for was new struts , springs and a few other items while they had the truck in the shop . It cost him about $800 .