What is the point of youth turkey season?

beachpeaz

.....And before you chime in with your standard script written by the DEC of "getting kids involved with the outdoors at an early age.....yadda yadda yadda," let me remind you that the youth gun season for deer was created mostly due to weather.  They wanted kids to be out while the weather was still warmish enough to enjoy, instead of mid-November.  That wouldn't be true with turkey season.  Doesn't make any sense to me why you couldn't just take your kid on May 1st.  Seems pointless.

I think the point is more to motivate the mentors to take the youth out BEFORE the mentors get so wrapped up in their own hunts that they don't let the kiddos tag along.

You don't have to look too hard to find selfish hunters these days, so the youth season may be the only opportunity some kids get even through the month of May.

• Like 20

13 minutes ago, wooly said:

I think the point is more to motivate the mentors to take the youth out BEFORE the mentors get so wrapped up in their own hunts that they don't let the kiddos tag along.

You don't have to look too hard to find selfish hunters these days, so the youth season may be the only opportunity some kids get even through the month of May.

Do you think by creating a youth season, it is going to change a dad to all of a sudden be an unselfish dad (based on your point you just made?).  I'm sure that same dad that can't take his kid hunting opening day, will find an excuse during youth season to have something else to do and not spend time with them anyway.  My 2 sons are just getting to the point to start taking them hunting and them being with me is more important that anything else.  I can't imagine not taking them opening day as my dad did with me.  Youth season doesn't change anything in my mind.  I bet (and this just an educated guess), that those who are "too busy" to spend time with their families aren't out during youth season, and those who enjoy taking their family hunting would have taken them opening day if that was the only option.

The other thing I find interesting is, unlike deer hunting, turkey season tends to actually get better as the month progresses.  At least where I hunt, the lack of foliage opening day makes it tough.  Most the birds I've shot have been towards the middle of the month.  So, again, when you have an entire month to hunt turkeys and the hunting essentially is level throughout the month, what is the point of that early youth season.  If you are that big of a die hard that you have to be out opening day and have nobody with you, then take your son / daughter the following weekend.  Yes?  No?  I don't get it.

13 minutes ago, beachpeaz said:

Do you think by creating a youth season, it is going to change a dad to all of a sudden be an unselfish dad (based on your point you just made?).  I'm sure that same dad that can't take his kid hunting opening day, will find an excuse during youth season to have something else to do and not spend time with them anyway.  My 2 sons are just getting to the point to start taking them hunting and them being with me is more important that anything else.  I can't imagine not taking them opening day as my dad did with me.  Youth season doesn't change anything in my mind.  I bet (and this just an educated guess), that those who are "too busy" to spend time with their families aren't out during youth season, and those who enjoy taking their family hunting would have taken them opening day if that was the only option.

Nope- it wont motivate them all, but it may affect a portion that otherwise wouldn't be out there.

It's not meant to be a "manual" for mentoring, just gives some guys some guidance to do things right and make the time, due to the restrictions on elder participation.

This week before the opener is DYNAMITE for calling in birds in my area. There's a noticeable drop off in vocalization and willingness for them to respond to the calls shortly after that. Things may pick up again mid month as in your area, but by that time the bugs are so bad half of us don't wanna be out there ourselves.

• Like 7

Anytime we can lift young hunters up, and make them the center of attention, even if it's just for a weekend. Is that a bad thing?  I don't think so. I also believe that it's the hunt its self, that is more important. Not if a bird is taken or not. It's the undivided attention that they get that perhaps, would not be as keen, if both mentor and youth were hunting together. I think that really makes a difference. Unless someone is worried that a youth hunter may kill a bird they have been watching for themselves, I don't see a problem with a youth season. If even one young hunter gets hooked on hunting during a youth season. The two days set aside was well spent. IMO. 

• Like 10

since my daughter was able to participate I look forward to that more than I do May 1st . My neighbor across the street took the hunter safety course the Saturday of youth hunt. His grampa took him out out Sunday and he killed a great bird. Boy talked to my daughter at the bus stop and said he's now hooked. Doubting he would have ever taken the course on a whim and gotten out there if it wasn't for youth season. I also feel safer out there with less chance of trespassers on private property to hunt. Turkey hunters have become far worse than deer hunters in trespassing. My daughter can hunt May 6/7 and not again til Memorial Day. If I kill a bird before the 6th I won't hunt again until the 6th so I don't tag out. Probably will skip until the Memorial Day for her if I do shoot 1 bird. I've killed enough birds so her shooting 1 or 2 is far more important than me tipping one over. Would love at least a chance of a double. And don't want to take 2 birds out of the woods lessoning her chances.

And can't believe you can't see the reasoning of making a youth weekend a special weekend designed for the kids. It's not special if it's May 1st.

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, beachpeaz said:

.....And before you chime in with your standard script written by the DEC of "getting kids involved with the outdoors at an early age.....yadda yadda yadda," let me remind you that the youth gun season for deer was created mostly due to weather.  They wanted kids to be out while the weather was still warmish enough to enjoy, instead of mid-November.  That wouldn't be true with turkey season.  Doesn't make any sense to me why you couldn't just take your kid on May 1st.  Seems pointless.

Did you have a bitter experience?

15 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

since my daughter was able to participate I look forward to that more than I do May 1st . My neighbor across the street took the hunter safety course the Saturday of youth hunt. His grampa took him out out Sunday and he killed a great bird. Boy talked to my daughter at the bus stop and said he's now hooked. Doubting he would have ever taken the course on a whim and gotten out there if it wasn't for youth season. I also feel safer out there with less chance of trespassers on private property to hunt. Turkey hunters have become far worse than deer hunters in trespassing. My daughter can hunt May 6/7 and not again til Memorial Day. If I kill a bird before the 6th I won't hunt again until the 6th so I don't tag out. Probably will skip until the Memorial Day for her if I do shoot 1 bird. I've killed enough birds so her shooting 1 or 2 is far more important than me tipping one over. Would love at least a chance of a double. And don't want to take 2 birds out of the woods lessoning her chances.

And can't believe you can't see the reasoning of making a youth weekend a special weekend designed for the kids. It's not special if it's May 1st.

"It's not special if it is May 1st?"  EVERY DAY I spend with my kids is special.  ANY weekend I take them out is special.  May 1st is just a day on the calendar and means nothing to me.  Having a youth weekend doesn't change that.  In my world, they come first and every weekend is a youth weekend.

Youth hunts under that preface are as bad as hallmark holidays.  Lets only appreciate our mom on May 15th our dad on June 20th, etc.

14 minutes ago, Paula said:

Did you have a bitter experience?

No, not at all.  As I have typed, I make every weekend about my kids.  That's what I enjoy about hunting.  Those are some of the fondest memories I have with my father growing up, is being out with him.  Youth season seems to be a scape goat for people to NOT make any other time about their kids.  If we were really concerned about our youth, as parents, we would take our kids with us EVERY time we hunted.  I'm not saying that is realistic, but that is what people are turning this into.  Great, youth weekend, now I don't have to take my kids out the rest of the month.  It's sad, really.  You can see that mentality just based on what has been typed by others so far.

18 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

May first doesn't fall on a weekend all the time, youth season allows kids first crack and they don't have to miss school to participate. It allows two days pressure free and two days to be all about the kids. Don't like it, don't participate.

Yeah, I said I didn't like it.  Good thing hunting doesn't require a high literacy rate.

16 minutes ago, beachpeaz said:

No, not at all.  As I have typed, I make every weekend about my kids.  That's what I enjoy about hunting.  Those are some of the fondest memories I have with my father growing up, is being out with him.  Youth season seems to be a scape goat for people to NOT make any other time about their kids.  If we were really concerned about our youth, as parents, we would take our kids with us EVERY time we hunted.  I'm not saying that is realistic, but that is what people are turning this into.  Great, youth weekend, now I don't have to take my kids out the rest of the month.  It's sad, really.  You can see that mentality just based on what has been typed by others so far.

I don't know any one that hunts with their kid one weekend and then stops. Seems like you are trying to find a reason to be against youth hunting. 

Refer to my last post in that case. 

It doesn't bother me that the kids get a couple days before us to kill a bird. It gives them a better chance than the rest of us to kill one since birds haven't been pressured yet and are usually gobbling pretty hard. It may make the difference between growing a potential hunter and having a kid give up in desperation because they are bored or it's too challenging.

• Like 6

Did the neighbors little twerp kid pop a gobbler you were watching or something?

You just took the whole point that I was making about the selfishness of some senior hunters and made it all about what YOU want.

I have no idea what your intentions are by taking a good thing and turning it ugly, but it's sounding a little bit like a cover up.

Let me go get your "Dad of The Year" award................. :no:

• Like 8

Youth season falls into prime breeding (April) the reason we have regular season in may is most breeding is done and toms are harder to call.. By having the youth season when they do it gives new hunters a very good experience with out interference from the larger population of regular hunters after a receptive bird.. That is why the season is always a full weekend before regular season.. As most hunter will be out this weekend disturbing bird while scouting.. The extra time between youth and regular season allows bird to calm down and return to regular patterns.. 

I kind of wish our deer seasons and time off between them..two weeks off between bow and gun would do Wonder s... Especially if it was closed 1st two weeks of Nov...

• Like 2

I don't know man. This post comes across to me as being fueled by jealousy.

The same jealousy that leaves a kid stuck at home when dad sneaks off in the wee hours of the morning to go kill that big tom he's been after. Then the old man comes home from his hunt.... has a beer (or 12 :drinks:)...., and crashes on the couch until the next morning at 4am when he repeats the cycle all over again......ALONE.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, wooly said:

I don't know man. This post comes across to me as being fueled by jealousy.

The same jealousy that leaves a kid stuck at home when dad sneaks off in the wee hours of the morning to go kill that big tom he's been after. Then the old man comes home from his hunt.... has a beer (or 12 :drinks:)...., and crashes on the couch until the next morning at 4am when he repeats the cycle all over again......ALONE.

That is his only reason to come back and post

• Like 2

Why wouldn't you be happy to take YOUR kids out on a weekend, a week(ish) early before others are out their stomping the woods and pressuring birds? If your all about special time with your kids and enjoying your time with them, as the majority of parents are the same way. I would think Youth Season is a no brain'er, to enjoy another weekend watching mother nature and letting your kids grow the same passion you have for the outdoors? Before they are given the chance to get into other "not good" things in life that come with teenage years.. 

I'm a father of a soon to be 3 yr old, a boy that is due in June and a stepfather to an 11yr old boy, I cant wait to let him harvest next year, and neither can he. Same goes for my young children when they grow..

Maybe its just me but to see any Youth hunter(especially mine), so very happy with a harvest or just an awesome experience in the woods or anywhere for that matter.. just puts a giant smile on my face.. 

I don't think the Youth Deer hunt was only intended to hopefully have it warm outside, but to give them opportunities on un or less pressured whitetail just like turkey season was intended to.. 

I wish they'd lower the minimum Youth age to 10, or even 8 for that matter!! Start them young and get them hooked! Eliminate more chance for them to get "hooked" "elsewhere"!!

• Like 2

I get what the youth hunt supporters are saying here, but the one significant negative I do see with the youth hunts is that they do give youngsters a bit of an unrealistic view of what hunting will be when they no longer qualify for a "youth" hunt.   Hunting deer for example with a gun in the calmness and emptiness of the October woods is definitely NOT what they will get when they no longer qualify for the youth hunt.  In fact, the difference may be quite dramatic depending on where they hunt.  I guess time will tell how many of the youngsters who first got their taste of hunting via a youth hunt actually continue to hunt into adulthood.  Probably way too soon to tell, but I do know that when people are given preferential treatment in other facets of life, it doesn't always turn out as good as many might expect.  Just my .02 on this.

1 hour ago, beachpeaz said:

Why is this a bad thing, I don't see how a hunter could view an early youth season for anything other than a great thing. Sorry, maybe because I have 4 kids my judgement maybe impartial...lol..really I don't even see how an early turkey season for youths would be an issue.