What is the point of youth turkey season?

beachpeaz

He is not coming back till next year. 

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Go to the live from the turkey woods and turkey harvest threads and just scroll through the pictures. If that doesn't give you the reason than there is no need for this conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steve863 said:

I get what the youth hunt supporters are saying here, but the one significant negative I do see with the youth hunts is that they do give youngsters a bit of an unrealistic view of what hunting will be when they no longer qualify for a "youth" hunt.   Hunting deer for example with a gun in the calmness and emptiness of the October woods is definitely NOT what they will get when they no longer qualify for the youth hunt.  In fact, the difference may be quite dramatic depending on where they hunt.  I guess time will tell how many of the youngsters who first got their taste of hunting via a youth hunt actually continue to hunt into adulthood.  Probably way too soon to tell, but I do know that when people are given preferential treatment in other facets of life, it doesn't always turn out as good as many might expect.  Just my .02 on this.

While the next experience will be different .. 5 years of youth hunt and gaining experience can yeild a life long hunttling addiction if done right..I had the privledge of taking a young ladies out for 4 years of youth turkey..

1st year I did all the leg work and calling.

2nd  year she learned how to use and call with a push pin with me as back up..I still did scouting .. 

3rd..she learned more calls and came roosting.

4th she fully participated and I was video man..

This training and experience as well as other early oppertunities yeilded thisFB_IMG_1480114166912.jpg

Now a college graduate I know many guys who would love to have gotten this let alone done it by themself

• Like 9

Unrealistic expectations!  lol like the turkey and deer just let down their guard simply because the season is early.  Some of the remarks are funny.  Just like it is so easy to kill a buck with a bow because they are not alert, lmao. 

I think you guys who are opposing think it is so easy to get a bird or deer early season that it will never happen the same way when they finally have to go and hunt the regular season.  Well they will probably be on the same land and have the same success. 

So by that opinion we should stop all youth hunting because it will give them unreal expectations when they have to hunt the regular season, now I understand.  Don't think it is true but at least I know why you are objecting.   :negative:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, letinmfly said:

I guess you guys know how I feel about the youth hunt.  Beachpeaz I'm guessing you wouldn't be the right member to ask for a donation for the youth turkey hunt contest next year?  :no:

I'll make a donation in his name! 

35 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

Unrealistic expectations!  lol like the turkey and deer just let down their guard simply because the season is early.  Some of the remarks are funny.  Just like it is so easy to kill a buck with a bow because they are not alert, lmao. 

I think you guys who are opposing think it is so easy to get a bird or deer early season that it will never happen the same way when they finally have to go and hunt the regular season.  Well they will probably be on the same land and have the same success. 

So by that opinion we should stop all youth hunting because it will give them unreal expectations when they have to hunt the regular season, now I understand.  Don't think it is true but at least I know why you are objecting.   :negative:

Absolutely right on ! It's not like they are penned up with targets painted on them for youth seasons! 

Just like in anything else. Experience brings confidence, and confidence brings success. Experience, confidence, success. Isn't that what all young people should be given the opportunity to achieve? 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, beachpeaz said:

.....And before you chime in with your standard script written by the DEC of "getting kids involved with the outdoors at an early age.....yadda yadda yadda," let me remind you that the youth gun season for deer was created mostly due to weather.  They wanted kids to be out while the weather was still warmish enough to enjoy, instead of mid-November.  That wouldn't be true with turkey season.  Doesn't make any sense to me why you couldn't just take your kid on May 1st.  Seems pointless.

The above is sort of pointless as well, but you felt the need to post your opinion.

Funny how opinions work around here.

I have no kids, and don't know any youths who want get into hunting. If I did, I sure as hell would get them out before all the wacko's start shooting at sounds instead of an actual visual target on public land.

You are free to have your opinion, but IMO, bagging on the Youth Turkey Season Days is BS. Let the young hunters get out there and learn, and start developing their own thoughts. If that doesn't melt right in your cup of tea, perhaps a cup of warm vinegar would wash down better!

I'm new to this forum,  but it sure doesn't take long to figure out those who like to start a topic that's going to generate defensive comments just for fun. 

I noticed he hasn't been back since getting things stirred up. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gjs4 said:

There is no point in the youth season based on the changes in enrollment and (again) despite having kids with lifetime licenses i see more negatives than positives.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkI

Guess I'm curious.  What negatives?

38 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I see no reason why we shouldn't have a youth season for both deer and turkey. They are the future of our sport, and its pure jealousy for most of the people who don't want a youth hunt. I wish I would have had a youth deer season when I was getting started.  

There is a youth weekend in bow season where youth can use guns. 

Never mind.  I just realized you were supporting both not suggesting that there is no youth weekend for deer

Edited by moog5050

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:15 PM, NFA-ADK said:

I know what your point is, but iirc you're a bowhunter too. There is no comparison is season and deer activity and alertness. They're different levels of alertness and weather. Don't discount the weather.

It is interesting that as we watch the future of hunting slowly sink into the sunset, we have pinned all our hopes for boosting recruitment rates for the hunting ranks on a couple of early youth seasons and seem to be patting ourselves on the back for having solved the problem. Is there anybody working on other aspects of returning hunting to being a "cool" thing that kids are eager to get into? Is there anyone working on a media campaign to get kids back into outdoor activities. Any DEC/school activities, assemblies, and programs aimed at selling outdoor activities to kids? .....Anything? Or is everything riding on early youth seasons as the one and only way to save the future of hunting, fishing and trapping and other outdoor activities? And while we are at it, what are the plans for extending adult participation into the future. We are so focused on youth recruitment, I don't suppose that anyone has noticed how quiet the woods are getting after opening weekend. There seems to be a lessening of enthusiasm and actual man-hours in the woods from the adult hunters after the original excitement of opening day. I honestly don't think that it is only the youths that are losing interest in hunting. I think there is a heck of a lot of work to do in this area before we start thinking a few days of special youth seasons are going to save the day. The DEC is so happy doing special studies, have they spent anytime figuring out what's happening to hunting and how to fix it? We hunters are their only control tool on game populations. I would think they might be a little more interested in reversing the trends than simply declaring a couple of special youth seasons.

nothing will fix dwindling hunter numbers more than access. It's funny that hunters have become selfish, but it's the result of every existing hunter having less places to hunt. Where I hunt used to have moderate pressure. It's now severe as the woods and farms shrink to make room for more houses. So now we become defensive of our leased land. Posting the shit out of our own property.  We attack eachother. Heck, a lot of us want ARs or OBR to allow for more deer and better deer for ourselves because of our "neighbors".

Just yesterday I had 2 shots closer than I've ever heard during a relatively free and open turkey woods where I could wander all over. You know what my honest reaction was? Crap, more hunters and pressure. Not "great more hunters for the sport".

Less land = less success.

less success = less hunters

simple as that. yes I know I provided no solution.

• Like 1

Youth deer hunt started after my son aged out of that - Now he is away at college.  Missed opportunities with that. So lost that partner for now.

I would take my daughter out now for Turkey, but all she wants is Pheasant.

She will be old enough for deer next season if i can get her interested in that. She can't use bow for deer, just not the strength for 35lb +.  She is not a fan of bugs, so Spring Turkey season is not a good time for her.  Youth Spring Turkey may have worked for her - but this year had a conflict, her girl scout troop had family camping. So of course there I was out-numbered camping with the girls.

Youth weekend hunt to me seems a safer time to start them out:

• less hunters afield to be concerned about
  • easier to keep re-enforcing safety without having to watch for the orange-army mob on a regular opening day
  • less competition to get youth basic skill sets
  • only have to watch/mind the youth's gun

There is no temptation to take the first shot an allow the youth to do all the shooting, and its a good time to re-enforce everything for the start of a new season for those 2nd and 3rd years youth hunters.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

It is interesting that as we watch the future of hunting slowly sink into the sunset, we have pinned all our hopes for boosting recruitment rates for the hunting ranks on a couple of early youth seasons and seem to be patting ourselves on the back for having solved the problem.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that youth turkey season was created to recruit new hunters, although it is a good way to start any new hunter out, it is not what it was intended for. Have you ever thought of giving back to the hunting community in any way? 

Per the DEC. "The Youth Wild Turkey Hunt is an excellent opportunity for junior hunters (ages 12-15) to spend time afield with experienced adult hunters gaining the necessary knowledge and skills to become safe and responsible members of the hunting community. We look forward to the great stories and pictures we receive from young hunters and their adult companions and wish everyone a safe and enjoyable hunt" 

Edited by Doewhacker

20 minutes ago, Belo said:

nothing will fix dwindling hunter numbers more than access.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.  You can have youth hunts, old folks hunts, give out free hunting licenses, you name it, it won't matter one tiny bit.  There is simply no room and not enough game for all hunters to be hunting public land so without private land access readily available or for no more than a modest price tag for leases, since that's where things are going with private land access, I don't think hunter numbers will be going up anytime soon.  All I've seen is hunter numbers going down over the last 20 years, and a major reason for people giving it up is because they no longer can find private land to hunt.  As I said you could give these people free licenses for themselves, their kids, grandkids, and youth hunts once every other week, it won't be bringing too many of these folks back if they can't find private land to hunt.