black flies

growalot

So you've read me complaining about the black flies this year...I had a good hunt this morning, it could have been fantastic had I not been eaten alive by BFs. This is  a real problem for me this year I literally can not leave the house with out a full head net on ,which is a royal pain...I just went out to get rid of my turkey carcass with out it and I'm exhausted..the swatting and pure aggravation...is too much. Thermacell has always been a God send,  but not this year...So Do any of you have true remedies for these nasty little so and so's...

Also is anyone else having the problems we are with them this year? BTW They have a talent for biting the crap out of my hands this year too and my ears and I have long hair...PS the dogs and the cats ears are swollen and scabbed over their faces aren't looking so hot either with swelling.

Never are they a huge problem where we hunt. I sweated my doughnuts off going up the mountain this morning. On way out I'd stop too hit the crow call and noticed just a few black flies. Once moving again I was fine. 

Did you try a full head net and gloves  ? Try hanging a few dryer sheets in your blind. I've used them before sticking one in the back of my hat while fishing. Although being white I would not do this turkey hunting. Avon skin so soft works very well too. Fragrant but them thunder chickens can't smell it. Because of co2 Citranella candles would be bad idea in blind too. That's all I got for ya Growie 

• Like 1

They've just turned on in my area over the last few days. Went outside to get some work done Saturday morning without the bug spray. Big mistake! My arms and neck got chewed up in short order. Needless to say it didn't take long to get some deet on me.

Couldn't do a thing without waving my arms and hat around constantly.

Complaining about Black Flies might be considered Racist . If so , I may have to move this to the Political Forum . :taunt:

Those black flies are the nastiest thing in the woods . They don't seem to last all year but I cannot stand those tiny biters . 

• Like 1

One time when I was on a fishing trip, deep into the wilds of Ontario Canada, the only defense was a big old stogie. So go find a few of the stinkiest, rotten smelling, cigars and torch one up when you are on the verge of madness due to any bug infestation. And then post a selfie. That would be a riot...... Growie with a stogie .... lol. 

I gave up all smoking so that remedy is no longer available to me, but I will say that it sure worked. There were no bugs that could tolerate that smoke screen. I'll bet a pipe would work good too.