Been a good couple of hunts.

reeltime

Went back to camp last week for the pa opener sat. Got a ton of work done one the farm thu. And fri. Put matt at the turkey tree and I went to one of my other farm properties.

I had 2 2yo birds come in off the roost that I let walk, matt sent a text at 630 and said 2 birds are in the big field across the road and going down the hollow to get around to that end of the field.

I told him to wait I would be there soon. Once I picked him up I explained if he had tried that it would not if worked out as that entire hollow is multifloral rose and no way to get at those birds.

So I took him out the lower edge of the pasture which is almost 3/4 of a mile long. 4 times I stopped and laid out calls with the bomber and got a response that he never heard.

Finally the dominate bird crested a small rise 200 yards out and cut off one of my calls . I told matt we gotta set up here as it gets too thick for too far before it opens back up and this birds coming fast.

I told him to set at that tree and face that way, he days but the birds over there..... look you wanna kill that bird he's going to go over there to get under the fence and come into that opening.

I started working the call and was met with thundering gobbles every time. He walked past us in the pasture to the high wire opening dropped down and came on a string to soft clucks and putts from the bomber.

05afba59e3d89fc7d8df764ccf5c0534.jpg4f110010c962217b395131396a67c372.jpg

We hit another property that held another target bird and got him to respond but time was not on our side and had to walk away from him still hammering at noon. I knew it was too far and too little time when dealing with that bird.

Got back to ny and last night went to roost a bird, ended up having him walk by me at 6 feet along with his 7 hens.

Got in early and set up, he didn't gobble till late and had moved 80 yards east. With all the hens I wanted to be the first he heard and he cut off my tree talk. Once it was legal light I did a fly down with the wing and gave him a good dose of bomber talk. He flew down to the strut zone and displayed for 20 minutes until he finally got into a position I could give him more talk.

That was all he could take and slowly strutted to me gobbling all the way. He gobbled his last gobble at 6am. 9b2f49704706b59bc813eefacd8a71dc.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 13