Anybody kill one ?

Pygmy

I got lucky this morning and found a dumb one...

Had my pick of two adult gobblers ..Both looked about the same size, but one was strutting nonstop and was perhaps five yards farther...The other one stretched his neck nice and high

Ba Da BING  !!     38 paces....

18 pounds,, 9 3/4" beard and 1" spurs....

• Like 20

Not me.......Had one at 60 yards +/- that just wouldn't commit.  Windy with sprinkles all morning, a few times later today the wind died down to an except-able level but still way windier than I'd have liked.

Saw a gobbler JUST before the storm hit today in the pasture here.  He gobbled his fool head off at the lightening!  Wonder where he'll be come 5:30am.................??

My buddy killed an adult this morning, he had his 11 year old twin boys with him in the blind at the time.  Twas a good deal!!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I got lucky this morning and found a dumb one...

Had my pick of two adult gobblers ..Both looked about the same size, but one was strutting nonstop and was perhaps five yards farther...The other one stretched his neck nice and high

Ba Da BING  !!     38 paces....

18 pounds,, 9 3/4" beard and 1" spurs....

Big question, who was taller?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Big question, who was taller?

He probably had a couple of inches on me,  but after rigor mortis set in I am definitely taller...

His beard looked pretty long and I thought  before I shot it might make ten inches....I can count the number of ten inch beards I have collected ( in 40 + years of hunting) on one hand..

At 9 3/4"  he was a little short....But then again so am I......<<grin>>....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

He probably had a couple of inches on me,  but after rigor mortis set in I am definitely taller...

His beard looked pretty long and I thought  before I shot it might make ten inches....I can count the number of ten inch beards I have collected ( in 40 + years of hunting) on one hand..

Lol - well done sir.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Congrats! Was so close to killing one this morning I get disgusted every time I think about it...

Tip: start measuring from the 1" mark

• Like 2

Good shootin Tex!

If you use the BS happy ruler and scale it comes out to 24 pounds, 10.5 inch beard and 1.5 spurs. 

Nothing doing here but I only went out back for a short hunt, might try again tomorrow. Coincidentally I saw zero birds in my travels today. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, SmokeinTN said:

Way to go Dan, congrats. Do the boys still have their afternoon get-together?

Yeah Jeff......Those of us who are still alive...

BTW....Billy Arnold actually retired...

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Still looking for the beard on mine.  Maybe it's under the wrapper.  

It's there, Moog...When it uncurls it makes the pop up timer pop up...

34 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Yeah Jeff......Those of us who are still alive...

BTW....Billy Arnold actually retired...

It's there, Moog...When it uncurls it makes the pop up timer pop up...

Lol about time his beard must be past his knees. A little turkey pun. Congrats to Bill

• Like 1

Birds off the roost gave me the slip. They gobbled from the field but wouldn't leave. Hunted them all morning. Went back to the roost area, set up and called in between naps. 11:20 I heard him gobble. 11:53 I shot him. 19lbs. 9" beard with 3/4" spurs. Stuck it out and it paid off.

IMG_20170501_131813.jpg

• Like 14