On the board!! Opening day success (Graphic pic)

Grizz1219

Been running cameras for weeks and scouting every weekend... Been watching this bird strut the same place every time... So, set up on him opening day, got in position, decoys out, all set by 4:40am.... Lot's of birds hammering on the roost, tons of Jakes by the sound of it... after fly down started working a hen with some Tom's, had her going pretty good but then she went the other way and took the boys in tow... got real quiet... But stuck to my plan, waiting on that strutter to get to this spot... 6:00am I hear a spit and drum behind me... Thinking "Am I making that up or did I really hear it?".... Then it happened again... Knew he was coming.... He walked by me at 3 yards strutting, spitting and drumming following a hen... Hair on the back of my neck was standing straight up!! LOL... Love that feeling... they worked out in front of me.... less than 10 yards but he was still in full strut and not leaving the hen... had to wait till he moved out from her and she was not in the line of fire.. When he was in strut facing away from me and the hen on the other side of his fan, I brought the gun up and waited... She went right, he turned left... 14 yards... I let the Ulti Mag bark and he was down... 20lbs, 9.5" beard and 7/8" spurs.... Nice 2 year old.... Awesome memories for sure.. especially him at 3 yards spitting and drumming... I think the circle on his neck is from the wad hitting him... Your thoughts???? 

NYturkey20172.jpg

NYturkey20171.jpg

ny2017nasty.jpg

• Like 17

Congrats! Great hunt and bird  It's crazy when they are that close...yesterday I was breathing so hard that is all I could hear and I swore they should have heard it too...lol Turkey hunting is so much fun! You had a plan and stuck to it Kudo's

• Like 1

Time to go play with woods birds now though, I'll be out there Thursday I think... That's where I truly love to hunt them.. just figured as a field bird, he was seen to many times out there... someone would try to hunt him.. Why not me first day?... Now I'll go play in the woods... LOL  Taking the wife out this Saturday to see if I can put her on some birds... fingers crossed... 

• Like 1